Increase in parking fee

Not too sure about that...fees are never discounted....rooms are.
Fees are optional. You don't have to bring a car. So you may or may not have to pay 20$ a day parking. You always have to pay the 20$ if they just raise the room. And if they raise the room 20 bucks then discount it 25% you get 5$ of the 20$ increase back, so it would work out to 15$ a day to park.

Hotel tax is higher than parking tax. (granted you are talking maybe 6 percent extra on 140 bucks)

Last edited:
Fees are optional. You don't have to bring a car. So you may or may not have to pay 20$ a day parking. You always have to pay the 20$ if they just raise the room. And if they raise the room 20 bucks then discount it 25% you get 5$ of the 20$ increase back, so it would work out to 15$ a day to park.

Hotel tax is higher than parking tax. (granted you are talking maybe 6 percent extra on 140 bucks)

For many folks, like me, flying makes ZERO sense. I can drive my family of 3 to Disney World for a little over $100 in gas, and it takes 7 hours to get there. We could fly for 7 or 8 times that amount, and it would take the same amount of time, since we're an hour away from the nearest airport, and there are no direct flights.

So no...fees are not optional.

We were there two weeks ago. I have a college buddy who lives in Orlando is an administrator at one of the hospitals there. He plays golf weekly with one of Disney's beancounters. The Disney accountant told him an absolutely STAGGERING figure for what just the Magic Kingdom *parking lot* turns in profit every year....$44 million.

That would mean on average almost 5,000 cars a day would have to PAY and park at MK. That is crazy.

For many folks, like me, flying makes ZERO sense. I can drive my family of 3 to Disney World for a little over $100 in gas, and it takes 7 hours to get there. We could fly for 7 or 8 times that amount, and it would take the same amount of time, since we're an hour away from the nearest airport, and there are no direct flights.

So no...fees are not optional.
and I would rather pay 20$ in parking over 20$ more for a hotel. The tax is less. Its math.
And fees may not be optional, for you. But If I were a betting man...oh wait...I am.....I would bet more people fly to Disney than drive.

Last edited:

and I would rather pay 20$ in parking over 20$ more for a hotel. The tax is less. Its math.
And fees may not be optional, for you. But If I were a betting man...oh wait...I am.....I would bet more people fly to Disney than drive.

Kinda doubt that.

Consider that out of the folks that fly, many of them rent a car. So, we're down to only those who arrive via DME, or cab/uber as those "immune" to parking fees.

I seriously doubt the amount of guests who arrive on DME/cab/uber outnumbers the amount that drive a car to Disney.

Oh...and a quick "math" lesson....

$20 x 6.5% tax on a parking fee = $1.30 for a total of $21.30

$20 room increase with a very modest 10% room discount = $18.00 x 12.5% taxes and fees = $2.25 for a total of $20.25

Your scenario only works if you're paying rack rate for room. With any discount, you're better off paying more for the room and discount.

According to the post it's $25 a night for Deluxe or DVC units to park. Add the $5 + tax to your math example.

Oh...and a quick "math" lesson....

$20 x 6.5% tax on a parking fee = $1.30 for a total of $21.30

$20 room increase with a very modest 10% room discount = $18.00 x 12.5% taxes and fees = $2.25 for a total of $20.25

Your scenario only works if you're paying rack rate for room. With any discount, you're better off paying more for the room and discount.
And my original quote stated paying 20 dollars for parking or 20 dollars more for a room. Not 20 dollars more then discounted simply 20 dollars more.
You are discounting the added 20 dollars, I was not. You are saying add 20 bucks to the room, then discount it. I was saying discount the room, then add 20 bucks.

If your goal is to get 20 bucks more per room, you can not add that amount to the room THEN discount it, you have to discount it first, then add it. Thats what I was saying.
"However, Id rather pay 20 bucks in parking the 20 bucks more for a room. "
Your example has me paying 18 more for the room which is not what I said at all.

On a totally different note. I have paid cash for rooms 3 nights this year so far. Have not been charged parking once.

And my original quote stated paying 20 dollars for parking or 20 dollars more for a room. Not 20 dollars more then discounted simply 20 dollars more.
You are discounting the added 20 dollars, I was not. You are saying add 20 bucks to the room, then discount it. I was saying discount the room, then add 20 bucks.

If your goal is to get 20 bucks more per room, you can not add that amount to the room THEN discount it, you have to discount it first, then add it. Thats what I was saying.
"However, Id rather pay 20 bucks in parking the 20 bucks more for a room. "
Your example has me paying 18 more for the room which is not what I said at all.

On a totally different note. I have paid cash for rooms 3 nights this year so far. Have not been charged parking once.

Yeah...Disney doesn't raise discounted rates. They raise rack rates, then you take the discount off of it. That's what the entire premise of the argument is in my original post...that I'd rather them raise resort rates $20/night, than roll out parking fees, because they discount rooms, not fees.

Last edited:
According to the post it's $25 a night for Deluxe or DVC units to park. Add the $5 + tax to your math example.

OK...I'd still rather they raise Deluxe rates $25/night rather than paying $25/night to park. Same principle applies. Bigger discount % on deluxe hotels, too.

OK...I'd still rather they raise Deluxe rates $25/night rather than paying $25/night to park. Same principle applies. Bigger discount % on deluxe hotels, too.

If Disney wants $25 per night more revenue from each room, they'd know they will discount the room most of the year, so they'd add more than $25, so that after the average discounts applied to reservations over the year they'd get $25 per room.

If Disney wants $25 per night more revenue from each room, they'd know they will discount the room most of the year, so they'd add more than $25, so that after the average discounts applied to reservations over the year they'd get $25 per room.

Correct, but not the premise of the discussion.

I still don't feel at all comfortable about the wording in what's written-"Deluxe Villas-$25" What non-DVC deluxe villas are there. Talk's cheap (such as talking to someone at MS). What's in writing is what concerns me. Oh, yes-I've definitely been watching my "The People's Court" and "Judge Judy"-get it in writing. They specifically say "Deluxe Villas" in the writing.

I still don't feel at all comfortable about the wording in what's written-"Deluxe Villas-$25" What non-DVC deluxe villas are there. Talk's cheap (such as talking to someone at MS). What's in writing is what concerns me. Oh, yes-I've definitely been watching my "The People's Court" and "Judge Judy"-get it in writing. They specifically say "Deluxe Villas" in the writing.
Non-members can book deluxe villas through Disney so they would have parking fees. Everything that is written states that members do not pay for parking when staying at DVC villas whether paying with points or cash.

I'm just saying that I don't feel comfortable. When they list exemptions, they don't say anything about DVC members.

Well, it is business, and it is all about profit. My wording was poor. What I meant is I believe that Disney did this to discourage people from bringing cars, and that was their (direct) goal. I think on average, Disney would make more money off of guests that do not have cars, and are captive audiences.

When I have a car, I go to Universal. I eat dinner at a few local restaurants.
No car, and I am on property 100%.

Even with the parking fee, Disney makes more money off of me when I don't have a car. That is what I think the goal was.

Then again, prior to the FTC cracking down on resort fees a few years back (making them much more transparent on travel sites) hotels could hide them and make them a kind of surprise at check in. Maybe parking is the same way now.

However, Id rather pay 20 bucks in parking the 20 bucks more for a room.
Then why do they let day guest park for free?

Then why do they let day guest park for free?

The guests staying at the resort will use the restaurants, stores, shows, or other profit-making events/services at the resort regardless of whether they have a car. The guests who come to just park for a while during the day are coming to use those restaurants, stores, shows. or other profit-making events or services at the resort. At many of the resorts, you cannot get in to park without a reservation for something. Charging those guests a fee to park would result in many not bothering to come to the resort to spend money..

The language that excluded DVC members from resort parking fees before remains the same with the new changes in rates. Understand that excluding DVC members from parking fees is something Disney's lawyers likely told Disney it had to do despite Disney's probable very strong desire to charge everyone the fees. The DVC resort parking lots are common elements of the resort, Disney is prohibited by law from charging the members fees to use the common elements unless such fees are expressly set out in the condominium declarations for the resort. Fla. Stats. §718.111(4). Moreover, though Disney can charge guests to whom it rents a DVC resort room the parking fee, it cannot charge the fee to someone who rents a DVC resort room from a DVC member because those lessees must be given the same rights to the use the common elements as the member. Id. §718.106(4)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter