Indy 5 streaming date?

Nothing yet, but if the release stays similar to the Marvel stuff it'll probably be ~ 90 days from the theatrical release ... so sometime around early October.

They could put it on D+ tomorrow .. it's not like it would make its Box Office run any worse.

The problem is that Disney has to start RE-setting a precendent of not having their movies show up on D+ for a while ... it was 45 days and that was burning them. They need it way more than even 90 days in order to get people to see a non- "event" movie and go .. "Meh .I'll just wait til it hits D+"

That's what we've been doing for every Disney movie of late with the exception of Indiana Jones.

They could put it on D+ tomorrow .. it's not like it would make its Box Office run any worse.

The problem is that Disney has to start RE-setting a precendent of not having their movies show up on D+ for a while ... it was 45 days and that was burning them. They need it way more than even 90 days in order to get people to see a non- "event" movie and go .. "Meh .I'll just wait til it hits D+"

That's what we've been doing for every Disney movie of late with the exception of Indiana Jones.
Agreed, they need to reset the expectations so they can start driving people to the theaters again.

Agreed, they need to reset the expectations so they can start driving people to the theaters again.
Except some of people can and will wait it out. I just don't see movie theaters selling the same number of tickets as they did before the pandemic.

Using my wife and I as an example, we went from going to a theater once every month to two months before the pandemic, to where we haven't been back since. Last movie I've seen a a theater was DSMM, but that was because we were on a Disney Cruise when it came out. I just don't have any desire to go and pay the prices required to go and that is with us only going to matinees and me normally bringing in the candy. We would buy sodas and popcorn at the theater.

So I'm fine waiting for it to hit Disney+ or a streaming/pay service that we are currently subscribed to. If we really like the movie, then there is a chance that we end up buying it on blue-ray, since we like having a physical copy, but for us, gone are the days of going to a theater and then buying it on disc.

Psy

Except some of people can and will wait it out. I just don't see movie theaters selling the same number of tickets as they did before the pandemic.

Using my wife and I as an example, we went from going to a theater once every month to two months before the pandemic, to where we haven't been back since. Last movie I've seen a a theater was DSMM, but that was because we were on a Disney Cruise when it came out. I just don't have any desire to go and pay the prices required to go and that is with us only going to matinees and me normally bringing in the candy. We would buy sodas and popcorn at the theater.

So I'm fine waiting for it to hit Disney+ or a streaming/pay service that we are currently subscribed to. If we really like the movie, then there is a chance that we end up buying it on blue-ray, since we like having a physical copy, but for us, gone are the days of going to a theater and then buying it on disc.

Psy
Yep, I think you just described a significant portion of the movie going public. Same with some things like in person church services, some people just won't ever return in person. Most all of these have on-line versions available now for people to view on their own schedule.

Last edited:

Psy
I was an early adopter of the theatre avoidance. I haven’t seen a film in a theatre since the first Hobbit movie. How long is that? Ten years now? Don’t miss it at all. I am impatient to see Indy5 even though I’m sure I’ll hate it. Lol. Was hoping it would go to streaming sooner.

I think theaters will be a thing of the past for regular movie watching. It will become more of an event, like dinner theatre. Is Disney invested in any theatre chains? I know some of the studios are.

Nothing yet, but if the release stays similar to the Marvel stuff it'll probably be ~ 90 days from the theatrical release ... so sometime around early October.
90 days?!! No wonder most of us aren’t bothering to watch Disney films in theaters anymore. Pre D+ I would have wanted to go to see Indy, HM and the new Mission Impossible in theaters. Now I didn’t even have to really think about it- I’ll only see MI because I know Indy & HM will pop up for free eventually on D+

History is gonna get a kick looking back at this episode of How To Train A Consumer, Disney’s Disney+ Disaster.

90 days?!! No wonder most of us aren’t bothering to watch Disney films in theaters anymore. Pre D+ I would have wanted to go to see Indy, HM and the new Mission Impossible in theaters. Now I didn’t even have to really think about it- I’ll only see MI because I know Indy & HM will pop up for free eventually on D+

History is gonna get a kick looking back at this episode of How To Train A Consumer, Disney’s Disney+ Disaster.

It was 45 days for quite a while, probably due to the pandemic. I agree that for a lot of films I'll just wait til it's streaming ... many people like me have a nice home theater system with decent surround sound so I can wait. I believe MI 7 was Paramount, so it'll most likely go to Paramount+ within 90 days, and then probably move to Amazon Prime in ~-4-6 months as Amazon has a deal with Paramount and Universal/Peacock to get some of their films after the initial streaming. For example Prime just got Knock at The Cabin, and later this month they're getting stuff like the Dungeons & Dragons film and Cocaine Bear.

I'll still hit the theaters for the big spectacles like Avatar in Dolby 3D and Oppenheimer in IMAX, but it's pretty rare

We were never big movie-goers to begin with, and the pandemic got us out of even our once-every-many months habit. It probably did not hurt that most of our theater visits were as a family, and the kids are now out of the house.

Same with some things like in person church services, some people just won't ever return in person.
The Atlantic recently had an article on this subject that I found fascinating.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...-church-communitiy-participation-drop/674843/

The WSJ had an article yesterday with many of the same points:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/church-attendance-religion-generation-x-6ee5f11d

Both are paywalled, but if you have e.g. an Apple News subscription, both are available there.

It was 45 days for quite a while, probably due to the pandemic. I agree that for a lot of films I'll just wait til it's streaming ... many people like me have a nice home theater system with decent surround sound so I can wait. I believe MI 7 was Paramount, so it'll most likely go to Paramount+ within 90 days, and then probably move to Amazon Prime in ~-4-6 months as Amazon has a deal with Paramount and Universal/Peacock to get some of their films after the initial streaming. For example Prime just got Knock at The Cabin, and later this month they're getting stuff like the Dungeons & Dragons film and Cocaine Bear.

I'll still hit the theaters for the big spectacles like Avatar in Dolby 3D and Oppenheimer in IMAX, but it's pretty rare
Yep, that 45 days for Disney+ started with the “Interesting Experiment” when Shang Chi released.

They weren't alone. WB/HBO did the same thing, including simultaneous releases of some of their biggest titles during the same period. Remember Dune part 1? That was a month after Shang Chi. In normal times, that would have been an absolute blockbuster. It barely pulled more than $100M domestically.

Everyone was between a rock and a hard place during that time, it's not something unique to Disney. And everyone is struggling to get people back into the theaters, which is why Barbenheimer has been such a big story. "People will go to the theaters again! We are saved!"

I would rent it on Disney+ for $9.99 or whatever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter