• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Innovation at ABC?

C

Captain Crook

This isn't huge and I don't intend this to be viewed as an "ABC has turned the corner" debate, but I do find encouragement that ABC is using some rather innovative techniques in conjunction with their fall programming.

First, was the announcement that they would be showing "Private Ryan" on Network TV in its original, uncut format. Quite brave for a network. Next comes the premiere of a new show, Alias (I think), that will be shown uninterrupted (courtesy of Nokia). Lastly, I've noticed that they are starting their new shows when the previous show is finished and running the next program until it too, has concluded - somewhat ignoring the traditional on the hour/half-hour mandate in an effort to neddlessly prevent cutting of cohesive elements in order to fit that "hour" time slot.

Again, I know these aren't "company savers", but does anyone else feel that these are welcome changes toward quality not often seen or attempted by network tv?
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

I think that it's definitely a step in the right direction. Walt used to say that a show should give the sponsor's name once at the beginning and once at the end, and the viewers would get it. I think that it's a win-win-win situation: The viewers get an uninterrupted program, the sponsor is more likely to be remembered (I still remember that Ford presented Schindler's List uncut on NBC 5 years ago) and the network (hopefully) gets better ratings. Way to point out a positive, Captain.

Kungaloosh!

-Steve

I'm glad they ran Alias wihtout commercials, even tho I didn't get to see it. It sets precedent, hopefully, and maybe more shows will run this way. However, the thing about running progrmas when the preceding one finishes, effectively ignoring the halfhour "rule" is that it slightly messes up the neatness of watching tv. For example: I'll watch NBC for this show until 8.30, then I'll watch MTV for this, but I have to interrupt that program to watch so-and-so on ABC? Kind of annoying, don't you think?

I don't think the timing issue is as big as it once might have been. After all, cable shows almost never end on the hour or half hour. Somebody realized that in the current traditional boradcast/Cable market, ABC has no stronger pull then any of hundreds of other channels. why live by different rules?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter