Input requested from recent CC 5k runners!

It is a run for fun folks! If it is like the several times I have done it - it will be hot and humid with little shade. I have done it often enough and long enough that I did before you got medals :) Might do it with my grandson next week when we are there or in November when we visit again :)

We were just on the Fantasy. We were able to get off the ship with runners in the 5K. No drama. Just line up.

It is a run for fun folks! If it is like the several times I have done it - it will be hot and humid with little shade. I have done it often enough and long enough that I did before you got medals :) Might do it with my grandson next week when we are there or in November when we visit again :)

For many people it is a FUN WALK

Fun Run. I have seen people looking to get some distance in do it twice. You could also jog to the start, maybe? (there are a bunch of people getting off the ship). My son is across country runner and finished third in this race. It was a pretty friendly, relaxed race with lots of joking as to who would cross the line first. The top 3 decided amongst themselves. :goodvibes

Thanks for the intel and yes it will be treated as a fun event for me as well, but would like to get in a harder effort next weekend while on the cruise. Might just treat it as a "tempo" effort then especially with the heat (I live in FL so train/race in this crazy soup all the time)! Could always jog to the start and do a few drills at a minimum :)

Last edited:
Will be doing this next week and was wondering if there is ample time to get in any kind of warm-up before the 5K starts. As a long distance guy, I need a good few miles miles to warmup and was hoping there was time to scout out the course beforehand? Thanks :)
Agree that the course preview is not really an option if you plan on going at the actual “start”. They just say go and start a timer that you will check on your own as you finish. So depending on your pace and goals you could jog the course as it starts and then come back and do the course for real. The course itself is pretty an out and back and you do a side loop on both legs.

As for warm up, the meeting/walk out routine has been reported to be varying lately. Most commonly you will meet in a lounge or theater and head out to the start in the middle of the guest area. So no real opportunity to get in a good warmup. I usually do some laps on deck 4 and as we walk out do a little light jog or striders to loosen up.

We met in the theatre as a huge group and listened to a cast member who talked about the course, water etc. then we were herded off the ship at the same time as other guests headed for the beach. It was chaotic and not well organized but the amazing medal made it worth it. This was last summer in June.
@Kasey mitchell

In January we met at Fathoms and went over the program. We all walked as a group to the start line by cookies. Everyone was getting of the ship and taking the tram. We had to walk. They gave us 2 hours to complete and if you were longer you got your medal on the ship. We walked it. Many people went around the loop but not twice like you should.

I ran the 5K this past Friday (August 23) on the Fantasy. You could pre-register before boarding in the cruise terminal or at an information session during one of the sea days. They also had bibs at the start line by the bike rentals. Runners got off with everybody else and made their own way to the start line - no morning meet up like I had experienced in the past. There was a huge line at the midship gangway so I got off at the bow gangway which only had around 30 - 40 people waiting. I took the tram to the start and made the 8:45 time with about 2 minutes to spare. They did a countdown and then we were off. They also had 9:00 and 9:15 start times scheduled but I don’t know if they did an “official” start or not. I was glad I ran early as the rain came in pretty strong within 10 minutes of my finish as I walked back to the Fantasy. The only good thing was that the cloud cover from the approaching rain meant that it was nowhere near as hot during the 8:45 run as I had experienced in other Castaway Cay 5K runs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter