• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Insane Magic Morning

Just wanted to report. We arrived at Disnyeland at 8:30 this morning. Stood in a 45 min line to get in. It was insane! DCA had early entry and both parks opened at 8am. The lines were so long you couldn't distinguish DL line from DCA line.

It's time to set up AP only entry lines. The amount of time it takes to get photos of everyone who has a multi day ticket is maddening.

It's time to set up AP only entry lines. The amount of time it takes to get photos of everyone who has a multi day ticket is maddening.

I agree with this! I understand the reason for the process, but between people not being ready and needing to sign/take pictures, it takes forever!

I agree with this! I understand the reason for the process, but between people not being ready and needing to sign/take pictures, it takes forever!

They have AP lines at WDW. It can be done. They just need to do it at DL already. We could have been through the turnstiles in about 5 min this morning. I swear, EVERYONE had a new ticket and needed a photo taken. Ugh!!!!

When the lines to the Disneyland Entrance are long.

#1 na
#2 get into lines where the Cast Member working the turnstile is an elderly person. They tend to be much slower than a person that is younger.

ME

Last edited:
When the lines to the Disneyland Entrance are long.

#1 Get into the line that merges into two lines. They are easy to spot as those situations are near the tree planters by the entrance.
#2 As bad as this may sound, avoid getting into lines where the Cast Member working the turnstile is an elderly person. They tend to be much slower than a person that is younger.

ME
Mostly, you don't know who your CM is going to be until moments before they sit and start scanning tickets.

Ix-nay on the ee-tray lines. That's my husbands favorite find, and he's forbidden me to share.

I just wish they would let you link the photo at the hotel if you are a hotel guest! We come in a day early and it would help so much if you could do that or if there was someone at DyD that you could do that before the turnstiles.

That or pony up and add the bioscan the WDW has so the photos aren't needed. The bioscan is soooo much faster.

We were there this week and had planned to use our MM on Tuesday morning. When we saw the lines, we decided to rethink our strategy and hit CA instead. Definitely a smart move. I think lots of people have started taking the advice on this site and try to use their MM the first morning that they can. I noticed that on Thursday the lines were much shorter for MM (we still opted for CA that morning). We used our MM on Saturday and were first in line at one of the gates at 6:20-25. The park was fairly quiet until after 9am. Maybe that's a transition day for people and locals aren't there yet?? It would be interesting to note if this happens thru the spring break weeks - Tuesday most crowded and lessening for Thurs and Sat.

I think a lot of people fly/drive on Saturdays making it less crowded for the morning. We chose Tuesday to use our MM because Thursday was our last day and I didn't want to risk DD being super tired. I think you just have to choose what works best for your group and hope for the best.

I have never found MM to be useful. We are usually there for rope drop, and comparing a regular RD to MM is insane. We usually skip it, and go to DCA that morning. The lines to get in are craaaaaaazy. The only MM day we have available for the upcoming trip is a tuesday (8am-9am), and it also is the EMH at DL at the same time. I think that is super unfair to the onsite guests, and I don't even stay onsite. We will probably just wait in line at DCA for when it opens at 9.

Side note for AP's. In October I waited back at the hotel because I was the only one in our group of 8 that didn't have a multi-day ticket. When I finally got to the gates, my DH came out to meet me and the CM at the turnstiles told me they allow AP's to go in during MM if they are with someone who has MM. I was shocked. I never even thought to ask. Who knows if that was just that CM though. I did get in before regular park opening though, so I wasn't complaining!

And YES there needs to be a separate line for people who don't need to get pictures taken, and receive hard tickets. I always scan the line to see who is holding printer paper, and then I avoid that line. ....but then there are always the surprise people who didn't even think to take it out and have it ready.

The new normal.

I'd say this is just during Spring Break. But we were there in the middle of Nov last year, a formerly quiet time, and twice during the middle of the week (Mon, Wed), the gate line into DL stretched almost to the DCA entrance. No exaggeration! And then in Feb/March during another formerly quiet week, the security gate line went on forever (pic below). If you want to kill the Magic, this is how it's done. Nothing frustrates you more than the anticipation each morning of walking to the parks....and then hitting a 30-45 minute wall of people to get in. It takes hours of park time before you're "over" the frustrating feelings of dragging through the gate lines.
upload_2017-4-5_9-12-28.png

The new normal.

I'd say this is just during Spring Break. But we were there in the middle of Nov last year, a formerly quiet time, and twice during the middle of the week (Mon, Wed), the gate line into DL stretched almost to the DCA entrance. No exaggeration! And then in Feb/March during another formerly quiet week, the security gate line went on forever (pic below). If you want to kill the Magic, this is how it's done. Nothing frustrates you more than the anticipation each morning of walking to the parks....and then hitting a 30-45 minute wall of people to get in. It takes hours of park time before you're "over" the frustrating feelings of dragging through the gate lines.
View attachment 229421
So, we are staying at the Desert Palms and arriving on a Wednesday, probably 2 hours after park opening. Is this what we have to look forward to?

I've thought about taking an Uber or Lyft to DTD and going through that way to avoid these types of lines. Worth it?

The new normal.

View attachment 229421

What time was this taken? I am not discounting your experience, but we were there Thanksgiving week and again this Feb and March and never experienced lines like this; either to get through security or the lines to get into the parks. Because we've been staying offsite recently, we always start the park opposite of EMH. I'm wondering if we're getting just before it gets totally crazy. Or if the weeks we've gone, which historically have longer hours, actually helps since we're getting there so early.

The new normal.

View attachment 229421

What day exactly was this taken? You do realize that if MM are at 8 am, more people are likely to go to that one? This looks like it was on a day where the park opened at 9 therefore the MM was at 8. I have always found MM at 8am is a lot more crowded compared to a 7am MM.

Your negativity about DL is always baffling to me because you keep going even though all you do is complain.

What time was this taken? I am not discounting your experience, but we were there Thanksgiving week and again this Feb and March and never experienced lines like this; either to get through security or the lines to get into the parks.

This was Wednesday March 1, a normally quiet time of the year. At least it was 2 years ago. This was about 10 minutes before gates opened, if I'm recalling correctly. We waited 30 minutes in security and that's because we saw an opening to the right, which probably saved us 5-10 minutes - this was before we got to the gates which was another 5-10 minutes. The next day we got there 30 minutes before park open and we waited 20 minutes. And I know - I wouldn't believe it either unless I saw it...that's why I took the photo. It's the only way anyone would believe me.

What day exactly was this taken? You do realize that if MM are at 8 am, more people are likely to go to that one? This looks like it was on a day where the park opened at 9 therefore the MM was at 8. I have always found MM at 8am is a lot more crowded compared to a 7am MM.

Your negativity about DL is always baffling to me because you keep going even though all you do is complain.

All I do is complain? OK. Go and check my Nov 2016 trip report. That was a great trip. Certainly had some huge line problems that trip (twice with 30 minute waits at the gate), but overall it was a fantastic vacation and I expressed that. Or check the Nov 2015 trip report - another fun trip. But after this last trip, I just got burnt on all the crowds in the middle of "ghost town" season. *See pic* Each year it's become more crowded to the point of choking some enjoyment out of certain parts of the trip (security, entrance, lunch/dinner, trying to take in the ambiance). Overall, they're good trips. But there's been a diminishing return on investment over the past 4 years. I keep paying more (much more) and I'm not getting more. In fact, it seems like we're getting less. And yes, we're considering either saving up for a big WDW trip or ditching Disney altogether. I'd rather not do that, as it's become a part of my life. But I'm a value-oriented guy and I'm wondering if a vacation of a different kind may fit us better in the future. I'm just hoping someone at Disney reads this stuff and says, "Hey, a customer thinks we should improve....let's do it."

Every time Extra Magic Morning or MM has been offered that has been our experience. We no longer see it as a "perk" and purposefully go to the other park not offering that those days.

So true... Last week with the mega-crowds - we did so much better with this strategy. With the EE we did get an hour or so of prime ride time - with the opposite park strategy we often found we'd have two hours of prime ride time.

So, we are staying at the Desert Palms and arriving on a Wednesday, probably 2 hours after park opening. Is this what we have to look forward to?

I've thought about taking an Uber or Lyft to DTD and going through that way to avoid these types of lines. Worth it?
If it's two hours after park opening, you'll be ok on this side.

If you're trying to make it to a rope drop, it might be worth going around to DTD, but it might not actually save much TIME (may be a frustration-saver, though).

I parked in Toy Story lot all last week and went through the West Side security gates (harbor side), morning and afternoon. Never very bad. Maybe 10 minute wait at security. No worse than parking garage.

The half-price, 3-day hopper to locals only should NEVER have included a Magic Morning. It is half-price for goodness sake.

You are looking at MM as a "perk" for guests - which is how Disney wants you to view it. Disney is likely looking at MM as a chance to get people into the parks and spending money earlier.

You are looking at MM as a "perk" for guests - which is how Disney wants you to view it. Disney is likely looking at MM as a chance to get people into the parks and spending money earlier.

Perhaps you are correct, but even if so, that still means that Disney should be more careful about it. It's hard to keep selling MM as a "perk" when the experience sucks due to overcrowding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter