Insanity

YES! THIS is me! We are going in October....about 3/4 inches to go! He's 2 right now so he could totally grow 3/4 in time! I'm measuring every month at least.

Last year I was measuring for Barnstormer...he made it! I have it marked on my dining room wall too and SERIOUSLY considering making a REAL measuring thing with wood- so the stick comes out like it does at disney. "hit the stick' LOL

Haha, actual conversation between my DW and I as I was measuring.

Me: "Darn, still only 37."

My DW: "OK we'll get him some more vegertables"

Lil' Guy "Mommy, I don't like vegetables"

My DW "We'll get him some of those pureed ones."

:rotfl2:

Haha, you are NOT the only one! I have 3 months until my trip and I am the one in charge of all of the planning for 5 people and a 2 yr old (going for her 2nd bday). She most likely won't even remember this trip but I am going all out! I keep researching every single restaurant that I have made an ADR at to see how kids like it, I look at shows and try and pick ones that she will enjoy most. I am planning it too much I think but hey, having a detailed plan relaxes me haha. It's being prepared! :)

going to Disney. do whatever makes you happy. Your kids are going to have a great time regardless of what you do or do not do.

K

I get a real kick out of planning.

But there's a difference between enjoying planning and setting yourself up for disappointment.

The absolute best advice I've ever gotten about WDW-- better than Rope Drop, better than GardenGrocer, better than Dole Whips, is this:
Don't give any one ride or event or show or meal or anything the power to "Make" your vacation. Your vacation is only as joyful as the least person in your group (and, presumably, that person changes as the day goes on.) So if your youngest desperately wants to swim, and it means skipping a FP, give it some consideration. Split up or reschedule the FP or promise that in 20 minutes you'll be at the park gates on your way back for that swim.

Realize that it's not a contest to see how many very special experiences you can cram into one vacation, but a chance to spend time together and enjoy each other's company.

As long as you keep that goal in mind, plan to your heart's content. Just know that the odds are pretty good that, in order to keep everyone happy, you'll have to ditch some of those plans.

The saddest part of a Disney vacation is watching "that" parent having a meltdown, loudly declaring that his/her kids WILL have a good time because of the years of saving and planning, when all the kid wants is half an hour in the pool.

I think the days of "winging it" on a Disney trip are long gone, therefore making ADRs and being prepared are a good thing. But beware of that term "perfect vacation"! Chances are it won't be perfect and no matter how much planning you do, there are variables that will factor in.

I love trip planning, Disney or otherwise. It's a hobby of mine, something I enjoy helping others with, and my family has come to rely on the fact that I will have everything all set for wherever we are going. We have been to Disney countless times, and I have evolved with the changes over the years. Basically I have it down pat, so how could I mess it up, right? Wrong.

Last August we had a great trip, but without even truly realizing it, I wound up adding all these extras trying to make it super special. My oldest is off to college this fall, and the program he will be entering into is 6 years long and intense. I knew this was going to be a last opportunity for a while for our family to do a Disney trip together, as he will need summer and winter sessions to take classes as well. I went over the top! I had us do a split stay because we love the BC, but he always wanted to stay at the Poly, I made t-shirts, we did tours, we did this, we did that, you name it. What was I thinking?? That's not why we love Disney - running around like crazy is not our thing, and that is exactly what I had us doing to make it as special as possible. And the whole time I kept seeing him as the toddler I first brought to Disney many years before who only wanted to play in the fountains. I would be crying for no reason (in hindsight I realized all this was because we were having "last" moments - it wasn't clear as it was happening).

Of course we had a great time, but there was no need to go over the top the way I did. So enjoy the planning, but please don't try to make it perfect. Our favorite Disney trip ever was about five years ago when, through a series of things going on at home with family and their other obligations, we found ourselves not hosting Thanksgiving for the first time. I had a friend who was in the same boat for different reasons and two weeks before Thanksgiving we figured, hey, let's go to Disney instead! It was the perfect trip! We were flexible, had no ADRs to speak of (we ate turkey legs on Thanksgiving - easiest Thanksgiving prep ever :rotfl2:), took what rooms we could get, etc. No planning = perfection. Without expectation and months of planning, we went in knowing we weren't going to do it all in a quick trip during a holiday weekend.

Enjoy the planning, but more importantly, enjoy the trip! The little, unexpected, unplanned gifts of magic that Disney will give you will override anything you could have planned :).

Am I the only semi-psycho mom that is trying to make this Disney vacation in September "perfect"? :guilty: I have all of our dining reservations made, I am working on letters and welcome gifts to send to DD (age 7) before the trip and little tinker bell gifts for during our trip.

I'm almost embarrassed because I think I'm over thinking and going too far. Anyone want to reassure me that I'm not doing too much? :lmao:

I don't think you're over doing it - and our first trip I really went CRAZY trying to make it perfect! In the end - it wasn't. We had worms in our room, I got stuck at the airport because there was metal in my daughters skirt (which was a huge fiasco of it's own), my TA screwed up our reservations, we were over tired. But ... we still had a great vacation. ;) Nothing could kill our Disney high...so plan as much or as little as you'd like and have fun! ;)

I get a real kick out of planning.

But there's a difference between enjoying planning and setting yourself up for disappointment.

The absolute best advice I've ever gotten about WDW-- better than Rope Drop, better than GardenGrocer, better than Dole Whips, is this:
Don't give any one ride or event or show or meal or anything the power to "Make" your vacation. Your vacation is only as joyful as the least person in your group (and, presumably, that person changes as the day goes on.) So if your youngest desperately wants to swim, and it means skipping a FP, give it some consideration. Split up or reschedule the FP or promise that in 20 minutes you'll be at the park gates on your way back for that swim.

Realize that it's not a contest to see how many very special experiences you can cram into one vacation, but a chance to spend time together and enjoy each other's company.

As long as you keep that goal in mind, plan to your heart's content. Just know that the odds are pretty good that, in order to keep everyone happy, you'll have to ditch some of those plans.

The saddest part of a Disney vacation is watching "that" parent having a meltdown, loudly declaring that his/her kids WILL have a good time because of the years of saving and planning, when all the kid wants is half an hour in the pool.

Agree 100%. Plus things happen that are out of your control, from the bummer that 'that one ride' is down to someone getting sick and having to stay in the room the entire trip. So plan, but don't try to go for perfect.

YES! THIS is me! We are going in October....about 3/4 inches to go! He's 2 right now so he could totally grow 3/4 in time! I'm measuring every month at least.

Last year I was measuring for Barnstormer...he made it! I have it marked on my dining room wall too and SERIOUSLY considering making a REAL measuring thing with wood- so the stick comes out like it does at disney. "hit the stick' LOL

Actually, that isn't as far-out as you might think. Little kids have a tendency to want to duck under the top rail of the stick; practicing helps them to understand what the object of the exercise actually is. You don't really need wood, though; cutting an L from a piece of foam board works just fine for the purpose. :rolleyes1

Haha, actual conversation between my DW and I as I was measuring.

Me: "Darn, still only 37."
My DW: "OK we'll get him some more vegertables"
Lil' Guy "Mommy, I don't like vegetables"
My DW "We'll get him some of those pureed ones."
:rotfl2:

Nuts. Seriously, cashews and pecans, especially, are high in zinc and promote bone growth, along with calcium, of course. Get the kid a big tub o' cashews for snacking. FWIW, shellfish are a twofer; lots of calcium AND zinc in them.

FWIW, my DD fractured her tibia at 18 mos. She was in the cast for 4 weeks. In the time that passed between the 1st and 2nd x-ray, a full 1/3 inch of new bone growth was visible on the film. Those little rascals can pile it on when they get going.

As long as you go into the trip with realistic expectations, you will have a fantastic time.

Am I the only semi-psycho mom that is trying to make this Disney vacation in September "perfect"? :guilty: I have all of our dining reservations made, I am working on letters and welcome gifts to send to DD (age 7) before the trip and little tinker bell gifts for during our trip.

I'm almost embarrassed because I think I'm over thinking and going too far. Anyone want to reassure me that I'm not doing too much? :lmao:

Don't stress yourself out! My trips to Disney as a child were wonderful, simply because I was at Disney with my family. And my mom wasn't a planner, but that was okay! Those things you are doing are really sweet, but please, don't tire yourself out before you get there! No matter what, your kid is going to have an EPIC time. It's Disney! :)

It will never be perfect, you should plan for major things you want to do, then sit back and enjoy your visit. On our first visit with kids, I had things scheduled by the hour, and realized within 1-2 hours at the park it wouldn't work. We pick a park for the day, make 1 ADR for breakfast or dinner so we can structure lunch mid-day on the fly as we tour, and let the rest happen. I only have 1 very "planned" day on our next trip: Jedi Training morning, CRT early dinner, followed by MNSSHP - a magical day focusing on my older kids' favorite things.

Shrimp332 said:
Thanks for this because my husband is going crazy with all my vacation planning and changes I have made and I was beginning to think I am super crazy. Normally our vacations are planned about 2-3 weeks out and I book a hotel find a few things in the area and that's it. Our first trip to Disney is also in September and I had no clue what I was getting into when I started this in Feb. SO glad to see we are under 100 days now :) I will be happy when all the planning is over and just get to have fun and enjoy it :)

I have learned to stop telling my husband every detail of every idea of every change I made while planning our trip. He is always on board with going, but does not want to know how much planning I've put into it. The more "spontanious" I make it seem, the better he likes it. Most men are like that, with a few exceptions of course!! Lol

Plan, plan, and plan some more! Then when you get there, go with the flow.

Truer words have never been spoken (written?) on the DIS. Go with a great basic plan, but also know that kids are totally unpredictable. We don't do detailed, down to the minute schedules, but we do have a list that we follow that is in the general order that I know will reduce our waits to almost nothing. But there is plenty of room in there for doing whatever the kids decide they want to do.

Had to laugh at the welcome gift from Tink because when we took dd for her 5th birthday we went all out. Gifts every day with notes. It was exhausting. On her birthday "Tink" left her a princess dress and an invitation to BBB and breakfast at CRT.

So this morning I has to make ADRs for our December trip and when dd woke up I told her what reservations I was able to get. She immediately asked of Tink was going to send her another dress and an invite for a special day. I told her I thought she only did that for special birthdays and she was like,"Well, can you call her and ask?" Lol. Yeah, let me just look her up in the phone book.

Definitely not insane - I've been planning a surprise trip for a year now and we go end of sept!
Just today I finished ordering things for my own in room surprises for the kids (all 4 of them) - it's the little fun details I hope they appreciate or at least I get a smile for!

We've been once before with our 3 DDs - they were little and FP didn't exist like it does now - we're not big planners but with WDW you must plan. I felt I was over planning a bit and I took a step back and relaxed. They will enjoy the fun and time with their family as much as any breakfast with a princess or 3 minute ride!
Have fun with the "Tink" details (I enjoy that maybe the most because I have the most control over them! Haha)

Enjoy!

Since you're going in September, and you're aware that it can be brutally hot, I would say the best advice I can offer to help make things even better (given all the of planning you've already done and advice you've already gotten) is to maybe think about heat mitigation.

My wife is very sensitive to heat and sun (fairish skin, plus it induces chronic headaches and migraines) so when we travel I regularly think of ways to keep every as cool and comfortable as possible.

For example, even though your daughter is 7 you might want to consider a stroller for her to crash in when she needs a break (and you don't really feel like leaving) or to get some relief from the sun when it gets brutal. My daughter is 6 and pretty tall, but I think we're going to get one for Aug/Sep this year for these reasons.

If you go with that, you can more easily carry around a soft-sided cooler with bottles of frozen water (since you'll have the stroller). There's nothing better than not having to pay for an ice cold bottle of water when you are thirsty (and this could save you from having to beg for cups of water from CS). We'll easily go through 3 or 4 bottles each.
Also, sun hats, some kind of sweat towels (and/or Frog Toggs/Chilly Towels).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter