• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Insomniacs on board - what's open late night?

ghtx

DIS Veteran
I'm not a chronic insomniac, but I have trouble sleeping sometime, especially when I'm on a trip. I would rather get up and do something than sit and stare at the ceiling in the dark, and since I'm sharing a stateroom with my family I don't want to keep them awake.

Are there places on board the ship that are open late at night if you just want to wander around? E.g. is there a nice quiet place to sit and read a book?

I'm not a chronic insomniac, but I have trouble sleeping sometime, especially when I'm on a trip. I would rather get up and do something than sit and stare at the ceiling in the dark, and since I'm sharing a stateroom with my family I don't want to keep them awake.

Are there places on board the ship that are open late at night if you just want to wander around? E.g. is there a nice quiet place to sit and read a book?
I'll lost some places for you.

Deck four atrium or promenade deck. You will have both places to yourself and the deck would be nice as you hear the water and are outdoors. Hope this helped. I'm sure somebody else will have a better answer.

I find that I sleep better on the ship than just about anywhere else - I have a hard time waking up in the morning, and want to nap throughout the day. So hopefully you will get some great rest onboard.

Looks like you are on the Dream

Inside
Atrium - there are chairs on all 3 decks in the atrium area (decks 3, 4,5)
The Lounges in the Adult Entertainment District. - The District Lounge should always be open - first place you come to on deck 4 when walking midship to aft
The D Lounge (family activities) might be open (unlocked) on deck 4
Deck 11 - Cove Cafe
Deck 14 - Outlook Cafe

Outside
Deck 4 - Promenade - Comfy loungers, undercover, on the "walking / running track - shuffleboard courts)
Deck 11 - pool deck - lots of undercover, but open to the outside. Glass walls to the ocean
Deck 13 forward - Satellite Falls area

Happy sailing

Plenty of quiet places to sit or you can wander/explore pretty freely. Most, if not all, of the common areas remain accessible. However, if you were looking for anything lively to attend, you'd probably end up disappointed. There can always be exceptions, but on most DCL sailings, the ship is pretty much a ghost town by midnight - sometimes even earlier.

I find that I sleep better on the ship than just about anywhere else - I have a hard time waking up in the morning, and want to nap throughout the day. So hopefully you will get some great rest onboard.

Looks like you are on the Dream

Inside
Atrium - there are chairs on all 3 decks in the atrium area (decks 3, 4,5)
The Lounges in the Adult Entertainment District. - The District Lounge should always be open - first place you come to on deck 4 when walking midship to aft
The D Lounge (family activities) might be open (unlocked) on deck 4
Deck 11 - Cove Cafe
Deck 14 - Outlook Cafe

Outside
Deck 4 - Promenade - Comfy loungers, undercover, on the "walking / running track - shuffleboard courts)
Deck 11 - pool deck - lots of undercover, but open to the outside. Glass walls to the ocean
Deck 13 forward - Satellite Falls area

Happy sailing

Just be aware that late night is often cleaning time for many of these areas, so there may be cleaning noise going on and/or parts of the outer decks may be closed.

Movies tend to run pretty late- by my early bird standards. Not a quiet, read a book spot, but something to do. I know I had plenty of company one night watching "The Help" around 1:30am. Some folks were even in their pajamas!

Depending on your age and if you are single, I would suggest meeting others that may have the same problem that you do or just want to hang out late. Play a game of cards or something or other extracurricular activities.

JW

I always enjoyed delivering FE gifts at this time. After done delivering (or if not signed up), I enjoy going around the ship and taking photos without people around. Plus being able to see/watch the CMs clean/wash the ship gives me more appreciation for what is done to make my vacation enjoyable

I always enjoyed delivering FE gifts at this time.
Can be an issue delivering things when people won't be looking in their FEs for several hours afterward. Yes, there are kids onboard who like to roam late and do cause problems.

A few years ago I was very seasick late one night and was up wandering the ship. Not sure if these things still apply but I bet they do.
The gym is open so if you want to walk off some energy on the treadmill, go for it.
The atrium, as some have mentioned and the area near guest services is open and yes, there were CM's working the desk that late. I sat for quite a while in this area just watching. Lots of kids roaming around as the kids clubs let out late. This was shocking to me but...
The main deck is open along with the drink station.I know cause I kept getting refills of coke for my tummy. I was not alone in this endeavor. We had very high winds and the boat was pitching hard. Lots of people moving around.
They did have the pools closed but I believe there was a movie playing until about 2 am.
That's about it. The clubs and lounges pretty much emptied out after midnight. But you can still wander the halls. I think the irish pub was "open" but I didn't notice anyone in there. I was just trying to walk around to get my mind off of being sick. lol I finally tried to go back to sleep around 3-ish.
Of course, if you are on the Dream or Fantasy, you could play the ships detective game as most of it is in the hallways of the ship.

I don't have insomnia but while I'm on vacation (especially cruises) I tend to stay up late and wake up early to take full advantage of my trip. I have been known to find a nice comfy chair in one of the common areas to read, maybe even go for a jog or walk around the deck (depending on my mood), take pictures of my favorite spots with no one around, do laundry, or find a spot and watch the crew work/clean preparing for the morning guests.

Last edited:
I always enjoyed delivering FE gifts at this time.

I usually deliver the FE gifts late at night (around 1am) as well. First, I hate the idea of using up time during the busy day to do it. Secondly, it's easier and takes less time overall with the halls/elevators/stairs virtually empty. Lastly, it generally eliminates the chance of being "caught" by the recipients.

I usually deliver the FE gifts late at night (around 1am) as well. First, I hate the idea of using up time during the busy day to do it. Secondly, it's easier and takes less time overall with the halls/elevators/stairs virtually empty. Lastly, it generally eliminates the chance of being "caught" by the recipients.

I agree about delivering at night. Last cruise there was a Bright Star announcement around 12:30 am and it happened to be 2 doors down from me and right next to my sisters room. Not only did the announcement wake us up but the sound of all the crew members running through the hallway had us wide awake. Instead of tossing and turning and fearing waking up the kids we snuck out with our FE gifts and headed the opposite direction of the emergency. Took us less than 30 minutes to deliver to all 30 cabins we had and by the time we got back to the room we were ready to fall back asleep.

The gym is open so if you want to walk off some energy on the treadmill, go for it.

Of course, if you are on the Dream or Fantasy, you could play the ships detective game as most of it is in the hallways of the ship.

Gym closes at 10 pm and I believe the shutdown Midship Detective Agency at 10pm as well since some of them are near staterooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter