Instacart as a side hustle?

happily single

Left foot first!
I just signed up to do Instacart. I figured it would be a great way to save some money to feed my addiction.

Does anyone here do Instacart? I have so many questions! I haven’t received my shoppers card yet. It appears that I need to activate it before I can work/shop.

How is the pay? How do I package cold/frozen items? I see you can buy cooler bags, but then how do I get the, back from the customer?

My only advice is make sure your auto insurance covers you while driving for Instacart. If you get in a wreck while working, many policies won't cover you for "commercial use" of your vehicle. You may have to get a special rider or addendum to your policy to cover you. I know a couple of people who got burned this way. When their auto insurance found out they were driving for Uber and Shipt, they refused to cover damages incurred in wrecks while working. Just something to look into...

I’ve used instacart many times, never had anything left in a cooler bag. The shopper keeps in contact with the customer, letting them know if they can’t find something and they ask about substitutions. I personally tip well, I want my order picked up and I’m grateful someone else is doing my shopping. I really only use it on vacation these days, but during COVID I utilized it a lot.

During COVID I instacarted after I finished with my primary job, 7 days a week. It was the time when you had to wait online outside the stores as only 50 or so people were let in at a time. Always made sure to communicate with the folks that we (my daughter and I did it together and had fun) were buying for, put all cold products together, took extra care picking produce, etc. Had a perfect shopper rating. Kept a log of mileage used and had an umbrella insurance policy. Since you pick the jobs and the times that you work what you make is really up to you. I haven't instacarted in a few years now but did make some money and had some fun.

Re cooler bags. The shoppers around here put the groceries in the regular store plastic bags and then those get put in a larger cooler bag which they bring to the door. When they drop off the groceries they just take the store bags out and leave with their cooler bags.

My only advice is make sure your auto insurance covers you while driving for Instacart. If you get in a wreck while working, many policies won't cover you for "commercial use" of your vehicle. You may have to get a special rider or addendum to your policy to cover you. I know a couple of people who got burned this way. When their auto insurance found out they were driving for Uber and Shipt, they refused to cover damages incurred in wrecks while working. Just something to look into...
This. I’ve been sucked in To insurance adjuster TikTok and have seen plenty of people get denied because of this. I think you have to register your vehicle with the service and the insurance companies verify if you were driving with them at the time of the incident.

If you have to use your own vehicle, you might be better off getting a part-time job in a store. I don't know how much in the way of payments you get from those companies to use your own vehicle. I agree with the prior poster about insurance. If you use your car as part of running a business, you need to have the appropriate insurance. My guess is many don't bother to do that and then find out they have 'issues' if ever in an accident while working.

If you have to use your own vehicle, you might be better off getting a part-time job in a store. I don't know how much in the way of payments you get from those companies to use your own vehicle. I agree with the prior poster about insurance. If you use your car as part of running a business, you need to have the appropriate insurance. My guess is many don't bother to do that and then find out they have 'issues' if ever in an accident while working.
Thanks. I own my own business and keep "wonky" hours, so getting a job in a physical store doesn't work for me. I like the option of just picking up some orders whenever I'm free.

Whatever you decide to do make sure you take into account all of the costs. If you have to use your own car there is depreciation/fuel and extra insurance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter