Insulin in the parks and other questions...

Chicago526

<font color=red>Any dream will do...<br><font colo
Hi y'all!

This is all kind of new to me, I've always been the picture of health, but BF has lots of problems!

My BF has type 2 diabetes, but due to a bout of pancreatitis, he has to take 1 shot of insulin a day, ususally in the PM. He doesn't strictly need it, as his body does produce it's own insulin, but 9 days without may be too hard on him.

Do any of the Disney parks have a place he can keep his insulin cold, so we don't have to trek all the way back to the room for the shot? (I've already requested the fridge for the room for medical reasons, free by the way!)

And how do I keep him eating what he should eat with all the yummy treats around? I have a hard enough time at home, how to I handle eating out 3 meals a day for 9 days? I'm a soft touch and often let him slide because I WANT that sundae too, darn it!! Maybe bring a journal and write down what he eats?

Any other tips are greatly appreciated!!!

I have been told that the first aid station at each park will keep your insulin in the fridge. You seal it in a bag and label it (I think they provide the bag) and you can go there to get it. We also have bought a travel pack that keeps insulin bottles cold for many hours (it explains that to you in the instructions how long you can go, etc). You might not want to carry that around however as it isn't tiny and needs to be frozen overnight. There are also packs that are activiated by water and keep things cold but the ones I've seen were for the insulin pens. I don't know if the bottles can be used in them.

I have no suggestions for avoiding too many sweets! I think all the walking after eating some sweets would certainly go a long way in helping control the glucose levels (I did that when I had gestational diabetes - walking brought me down easily). My son has type 1 and is only 2 yrs old so I don't have much experience with type 2 except in myself while pregnant.

Have fun!

I would suggest buying a toothbrush holder that comes apart. Before leaving the room, charge a syringe, put the cap back over the needle, wrap a sealed alcohol pad around the top part of the syringe body and put it in the holder. The wrapped pad will keep the syringe from moving in the holder. When he is ready to give himself the injection he will have an acohol pad available.

One thing by doing this is you will be able to keep the insulin bottle(s) refrigerated. If you carry the holder in a large purse or something, it should not get especially hot during the day. Also, you can leave the holder with the syringe in it at one of the First Aid stations and they will keep it refrigerated for you.

As far as the yummies. My normal procedure is I will only eat dessert if it is unusual, therefore it will not be often. I will stick with diet soft drinks and water in the parks, and maybe popcorn. However, if I know I am going to eat something very faatty (such as a pizza) I will adjust my insulin dose.

Make sure he takes his testing kit with hm and uses it.

Thanks for the tip of the toothbrush holder. I think that is really neat. I have a styroform holder that holds a filled needle. But I think i will take the toothbrush holder also just in case I leave it behind in some firstaid office. (run off to another park and forget it) keeps the wripe handy too.

What about meters? Do you bring yours with u?

I carry my meter, strips, insulin, syringes and some lancets in a small holder with a cold pack. It idea of prefilling the syringe doesn't work for me since I use a slinding scale to determine how much insulin I will need to inject. It depends on my blood sugar and the number of carbs I plan to eat.
BTW I do not use alcohol wipes ever. As long as you wash well and are clean they are not needed. Alcohol causes burning when you inject. Not pleasant!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter