Insulin Pump at Pools

janethill

Earning My Ears
Just wondering if anyone has ever been asked to leave a pool (Disney or other) because of their insulin pump infusion.

oh my gosh, No!

My ten year old used an insulin pump for a year (recently went back on injections), and she' never been asked to leave a pool anywhere.

Did this happen to you?

That's my reaction too - gosh no! We just returned from the Children With Diabetes conference that was held at one of the WDW resorts and there were lots of kids in the pool with their pumps. My 3 yr old wears a pump and he didn't wear it in the pool but he wears his infusion set in the pool. I did see many children of all ages with their pumps being worn in the pool.

We also belong to a local pool and no problems pumping there.

Have you not been allowed to swim with a pump?

Just wondering as while my husband has never been asked to leave, a couple of times the lifeguards (Water Country USA) were obviously discussing it, wondering what it was, and if it was to be a problem. It was the subject of conversation among some of the members of the local pool club we belong to, but was resolved.

I suppose it is possible a lifeguard at WDW wouldn't know what it is and would ask (thinking perhaps you were bringing a pager into the pool or something). I think once they know it won't be a problem. I suppose your husband could always approach the lifeguard in advance if that makes him more comfortable. I think the WDW folks are used to everything :goodvibes

I just disconnect my pump and leave it in my beach bag. The infusion set is still attached/inserted, but it's under my bathing suit, so no one has a clue I'm even wearing a pump. Of course, I'm not usually in the water that long. If you're going to be in a long time, this wouldn't be a good idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter