• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Insulin temperature requirements

Lewisc

DIS Veteran
There have been a number of recemt threads regarding temperature requirements of insulin. There is a lot of misinformation, both on the web and in real life.

This is from the FDA. It applies to all 3 mfg.

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/emergency...rage-and-switching-between-products-emergency

According to the product labels from all three U.S. insulin manufacturers, it is recommended that insulin be stored in a refrigerator at approximately 36°F to 46°F. Unopened and stored in this manner, these products maintain potency until the expiration date on the package.

Insulin products contained in vials or cartridges supplied by the manufacturers (opened or unopened) may be left unrefrigerated at a temperature between
59°F and 86°F for up to 28 days and continue to work.

A note on insulin in resorts: sometimes the room fridges are colder than 36F - frozen insulin is much less viable than room temp insulin if you'll be using the whole vial within a month. Bring a little thermometer, keep the vial in a frio, or just keep it in a cheap insulated pouch in your day bag.

I recently needed to keep my insulin in the park with me. The first aid stations will hold onto your insulin, refrigerated or not refrigerated.

Right; I don't keep my open vials in the refrigerator at home, but I wouldn't carry them in my park bag all day, either - not without something like a Frio or something else to keep them on the cool side. I think it could easily get warmer than 86 degrees in there.

I didn't use to bring extra insulin into the parks with me at all, but then one time I had an infusion set go bad and had to go all the way back to the resort to change it, missing a tour I had booked. That was no fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter