• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Insurance claim issue

minniecarousel

Chris Isaak fan
i had a fender bender on June 19. No one was hurt, very little damage to the other car. I drove my car to my body shop (a friend of my son's, somebody I trust & has done some non-insurance work for us). It so happens that my insurance doesn't list this shop as one of their "preferred" shops, but state law doesn't require me to use one of their shops.

I have been checking, the body shop office person has been checking for when an adjuster will go to the shop for the estimate. It's always "tomorrow". Someone admitted that early on, someone in their office dropped the ball & didnt put us on the appraisal depts schedule. Last Wed, the 5th of July, I was assured that I was on the schedule for Thurs, July 6. I called on Friday to find out that an adjuster had me on the schedule for that day, but " if he ran out of time, it would for sure be Monday". No surprise to me, no one was going to be out today. I was told the next day's schedule was finalized by 3:30. By the time I called at 5:15 today, they saw that I was to be put on tomorrow's schedule, but they couldn't verify since that dept was closed for the day.

I have a rental car through my insurance, but it's a sedan. I'm used to a small SUV. I drove my car several towns over but wasn't comfortable (drivers door wouldn't open). So no way would I drive it awaiting the appraisal.

What am I doing wrong? I've called my agent's office & always get a call back immediately from the claims office. This is a well-known national insurance company. We have auto, home & an umbrella policy with them. I will probably get an "accident surcharge", so not even sure I can switch insurances.

Not sure I understand your actual question.
You notified agent of accident, brought vehicle to place but appraiser hasn't been there, repeatedly.
Meanwhile u r using a rental car as it's unsafe to use yours.
The car has been at the shop from June 19th and not yet been seen ( tho carrier error.. or was it shop error that they didn't notify carrier for appraiser?) that Can make a difference on payout... shop isn't charging you for storing ur car, right?
And first alleged attempt to see veh was 7/5 but still not seen.
That is a long car rental and u may be on the hook for it if they/ur carrier determines u could drive it.
I'd personally call ur agent first thing tomorrow, tell them u have no idea why the adjuster hasn't been there and to get u an update.
Put the ball in their court.. and follow up in 24 hours.
And I'd let agent know u are Not happy with long delay and u have all coverage with this carrier.
Then follow with shop, ask them to keep u apprised and I'd be calling every day!
Glad no one was hurt! Good luck.

My insurance assures me of a rental equal to what I am normally driving, can you check on that? I'd put it on my agent's shoulder's (s)he is the one who will suffer if your commission is lost.

Oh, I know I'm just venting.

I took the car to the shop the day after the accident (6/20). We submitted the claim via an app & the insurance said they needed an on-site appraisal. They said they'd be out on Fri, 6/23 or Wed 6/28. That was apparently when the insurance dropped the ball - we weren't on the appraisal dept's schedule. The body shop's office person was told - prob Monday, 7/3. That's when I got more involved on 7/5.

I have a car rental limit of $1200. The sedan is ~$25 a day & my type of car is about $39. They "may" pick up the overage if needed.

In the summer appraisers are often swamped due to storms and hail damage, any big storms in your area recently?

Call back and ask for a supervisor and don't hang up until you get a specific time and contact for the appraiser.

Op, I understand your situation.

A co-worker was hit by an uninsured, unlicensed driver (who was arrested with his passenger after being checked out at the hospital for these and other outstanding issues) on June 23rd. The impact deployed her airbag, messed up her front axle and her car probably should be totaled.

She went to her agent's office on Friday to insure her new car. The agent said 'What are you doing with your other car?' Uh, hello. What are you doing with my other car?

Yea, she's got an attorney lined up for this, now.

No one has been to the yard to look at her car. Insurance agent didn't remember her car had been in an accident. No one has been 'on her side' working to sort it out.

For my recent claim, the insurance company sent me a link where I could upload pictures and they gave me an estimate that way. Could that be an option for you?
My car was driveable and I coordinated with them regarding when to drop it off at the body shop once I got the estimate. Although there was a lack of communication regarding the rental, but that got resolved quickly.

You should probably file a complaint with your state insurance commissioner.

My only experience with that was minor also, and the car could be driven. So not sure why you have dropped the car off at the body shop and have a rental car if you don't even have a repair approved and you can drive the car
My car was legally parked and unoccupied when it was hit. so I was not at fault. I got 3 estimates, and they had ME take the car to their office (Farmers) for their estimator to look at it. My estimates were $750, $900 and $1,100 damage. His estimate was $150! And that was ONLY if they ultimately determined they were liable. I told him I was more than willing to go with the lowest estimate. Accident happened on a Saturday. Farmers refused to even look at my car until Wednesday. I re-contacted my insurance after the Wednesday fiasco (I notified them of the incident on Saturday). They told me, and Farmers that if Farmers had not written a check by Friday, they would, and they would wait for Farmers to sort their mess out. I had a check from Farmers on Thursday.
But Farmers did have a liability issue. Their client had a valid proof of insurance car, but was 4 months behind on his insurance payments.

Call the agent and tell them your car has been sitting there all this time and if they don't send someone out pronto, you will be switching insurances, end of story.

I work in auto insurance claims. It shouldn't take very long to get the appraisal done, so something is definitely not right. Sending an appraiser out is pretty old school, that's often not done anymore. I'd also make sure your carrier knows that you're in a rental and it's no fault of your own if you bump into your rental limit. If they have truly dropped the ball, they'll extend it beyond your limits anyway.

Let me know if I can help.

Hopefully this has resolved by now. It can be tough. Sending a polite letter by certified mail often helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter