Insurance coverage in the event of war

fredms

Love my nieces and nephews!
I would really appreciate if anyone has any advice on trip insurance to respond.

I am using DVC points to cruise in May and then stay at WDW for a few days. I would really like to get insurance, as I fear that if the US goes to war, I may not want to travel. However it doesn't seem like any policies cover if you decide not to go due to war.
They just cover typical things like illness, accidents etc.

Any thoughts?

I'm with you, but unfortunately there is no insurance available to cover that contingency. Insurers do not want to cover anything that may be "decided" based on individual preferences. That "risk" is not something they can estimate actuarially.

We are also cruising in May and I decided to definately take insurance out this time. I know it won't cover me for war, but I still feel better knowing I have it. We are cruising with my DD19's two college roomates and I am more nervous one of us will get sick on one of the islands. I want to make sure we can get covered if we need to get flown out of there to a "real" hosptial.

I booked thru Access America online and the cost per person was very reasonable....$42 pp over the age of 30 and $37 pp under the age of 30. I chose the Travel with Ease Comprehensive Coverage.

MJ

We booked our first cruise for this Sept. Dh is in the Navy Reserve, and we specifically asked about/searched for insurance that would cover us if he were to be deployed within the sixty days of no refund. No luck. :mad:

But then again, if he's deployed we'll have bigger problems than losing his cruise fare. He's already told us to go without him, but I don't know about that.

Anyone know what DCL's policy might be on this sort of issue?

Julie

I can't say for sure...but I think DCL is pretty reasonable and may be able to work something out for you if your husband is deployed. I seem to remember them waiving some fees back during the whole 9/11 tragedy for certain circumstances when people had to cancel and rebook.

MJ

My husband and I are both retired USAF, and my husband is a Federal Agent, we are praying that NOTHING happens. We fly on 18 April and the Cruise starts on 18 April.

Although his boss told me "not to worry," I do since my husband is the #2 in charge.

We are very much aware of the current situation, and pray for those in harms' way and for a speedy conclusion to hostilities.

I already checked into the insurance, and had our travel agent (Ohio AAA) check as well. Does not look good.

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I recommend booking through an experienced travel agent that has had experience with military clauses. (There are some loopholes, read carefully)

Sandy

DCL may be willing to refund and/or postpone based on the circumstances - regardless of the "insurance" situation. I had non-refundable, non-changeable airline tickets in 1991 that needed to be abruptly canceled when I was deployed for Desert Storm. My mom wrote a letter to the airline after I had left explaining the circumstances and they willingly refunded with no hassle. It is absolutely a company-by-company decision, but most don't want to get a reputation as being "unfriendly" to the military and other Gov't people who are going off to war......

Someone on another chatboard I am on was actually on their way to a cruise (driving down) when the hubby was called up - they contacted Disney and were given a full refund = I don't think Disney would like the negative publicity one bit.

Carol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter