insurance that covers death of family member

I am too late to get "cancel for any reason" insurance, but I need to be sure that it will cover death of a family member. Hate to be morbid, but my parents are 89 and 87 and who knows what the next 130 or so days will bring. My dad just called and said he lost 20 pounds in a month and they took him off of his thyroid medicine (which he's been on for 30 or 40 years) but it reminded me this is something I need to do ASAP. Any recommendations?

Argh. Call the Insurance company. Most travel insurance I've had in the past told me that unless family members were "stable" 90 to 120 days (depends on the company) before I take the insurance*, they would not cover a cancellation...

EDIT: When I took the insurance before our first family trip in 2017, my DH's uncle was (already) terminally ill. The insurance company said that they would not cover if we cancelled or interrupted our trip because of his death...

Another example, my FIL had some arythmia a few weeks before the trip. He was stabilized and the doctor gave him the okay to travel but our travel insurance said that if anything heart related happened to him and we had to cancel/interrupt, it wouldn't be covered.

Travel insurance are very picky and will fight not to pay.

*Even after.

Last edited:
Argh. Call the Insurance company. Most travel insurance I've had in the past told me that unless family members were "stable" 90 to 120 days (depends on the company) before I take the insurance, they would not cover a cancellation...

When I took the insurance before our first family trip in 2017, my DH's uncle was (already) terminally ill. The insurance company said that they would not cover if we cancelled or interrupted our trip because of his death...
Well, OPs post seems to reflect that the two family members in question, while older, are in reasonable health (no mention of bad heath, anyway).

Well, OPs post seems to reflect that the two family members in question, while older, are in reasonable health (no mention of bad heath, anyway).

OP did not go into much details (at least in the first post) except for the thyroid medicine.

While my story was "extreme", my point was more about how some company have severe criterias and will do anything not to pay regarding possible pre-existing condition.

OP did not go into much details (at least in the first post) except for the thyroid medicine.

While my story was "extreme", my point was more about how some company have severe criterias and will do anything not to pay regarding possible pre-existing condition.
They are in pretty good health, based on their ages. Mom has arthritis pretty bad, and we just moved them (finally) to a 1 story condo because she fell down the stairs in October at their old house (has been fine since she came home in November and actually thriving with the one story home). Dad has back issues. So their mobility is an issue, but no cancer or heart problems at this point.

I am 55...but I am worried about something happening to my elderly parents (who aren't going) before or during our trip.

Yes, but you aren't insuring for the death of a particular person or persons. So the cost of the insurance is always based on the ages of the traveller(s), the risks of the selected coverage, the length of the trip, the costs that are covered and sometimes the location if it's a risky location. We always get trip interruption insurance that covers us for an aborted or interrupted trip due to a number of factors including the death of a family member. My dad is in his 80's but the insurance isn't covering for him specifically; my 4-year old great-niece has medical issues and something might happen to her that would require me to travel home. Who it is is fully independent of the cost. And they don't ask.

They are in pretty good health, based on their ages. Mom has arthritis pretty bad, and we just moved them (finally) to a 1 story condo because she fell down the stairs in October at their old house (has been fine since she came home in November and actually thriving with the one story home). Dad has back issues. So their mobility is an issue, but no cancer or heart problems at this point.

That's excellent (and you are very lucky). :)

I have trip cancellation service through my credit card, Chase Sapphire, for whatever I pay for in full with the card. It's all for the annual cost of $95. It's not cancel for any reason insurance, but it covers the normal death or injury of a family member. It also has primary rental car insurance among other travel insurances.

Have you checked your credit cards to see if any provide coverage?

On a personal note as a nurse i’m hoping your dad gets a full work up. Sudden, unexpected weight loss is a serious symptom that warrants attention. From my experience it seems too extreme to be related to his thyroid medicine. Good luck and my thoughts are with you.

Have you checked your credit cards to see if any provide coverage?

On a personal note as a nurse i’m hoping your dad gets a full work up. Sudden, unexpected weight loss is a serious symptom that warrants attention. From my experience it seems too extreme to be related to his thyroid medicine. Good luck and my thoughts are with you.
Thanks. He is not shy about going to the doctor, believe me, and has another appointment soon. They thought some of the stress from the move may be the issue as well. It was professionally packed up (they lived there 60 years) but they had to sit with my sister and me and decide what to keep, what to donate, etc....and then it took a long time to unpack, usually 2 or 3 boxes a day once the main stuff was unpacked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter