Insurance?

marlouwrig

Mouseketeer
Just about to book via Virgin Holidays for next October to include first three nights at Royal Pacific and then 12 nights for our very first trip home to BCV.

I'm in a bit of a quandary as to what to do about insurance. If I take the Virgin Holidays option or even from an independent travel insurance company I don't believe this will cover the DVC part of our stay.

I seem to remember something in our members pack about some kind of insurance for DVC but for some reason best known to himself, DH ( who is a very intelligent and tidy minded soul) has for some reason best known to himself tidied the lot away in the attic. As he is not home until early next week and there is no way I am going to venture up there myself (no floorboards) I was wondering what everyone ele usually does about this?

Do you bother insuring the DVC bit of your stay as well as your flights etc? As always any advice would be very gratefully received

I don't bother insuring my DVC part of the stay as there doesn't seem any real point in it. The cost from Disney is WAY too expensive IMHO and in almost every circumstance the worst case scenario is that the points go into a "holding account" where although there are limits on the usage you do still have access to those points. Unless the circumstances for you not making the trip only came to light a day or so before you were due to arrive at DVC I think it unlikely that you would forfit your points completely. If you did lose the use of those points IMHO most normal travel insurance would cover you for some claim (possibly limited to dues for the year) if you could get a written confo from MS saying that you had lost the use of those points that were booked for a 12 day stay.

Obviously it does depend on what coverage you take, but if it's a blanket "normal" insurance then you would have a decent argument that you had lost a certain amount of money if you lose the use of those points in a similar way to you having paid a non returnable deposit.

We took out insurance this time; don't know why really as we've never done it before. And now our DD can't go so 92 points are "hanging" in mid-air for the moment.

We might get to try out Vernon's theory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter