Insuring your Iphone?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
If you insure your IPhone, who do you use? Who is the best for your buck? Best coverage?

I use the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program which comes with AppleCare+. Doesn't get any easier than that. Pay for the phone and AppleCare+ in monthly installments and get to trade in for the new phone each year. If I have a problem in the meantime, show up at the Apple Store and it's all taken care of.

I plan on dropping the paid insurance.

I just had to replace a phone with a bad USB connector and they just give you the same phone, no options to upgrade.
There is also a deducible of $50.
So I paid around $200+ to get a phone that was 2 years old. Its just my kids Pixel 6a. With various deals I could have just gotten the latest for 150 more or just bought another 6a.
In addition, since I autopay my bill with my credit card - phone insurance is part of it - so you may want to check that option.

As the PP said - get a good case and a screen protector - its probable a better investment.

But a good case and screen protector, skip the insurance.
I get a new phone every couple of years so I'm not going to chance a $700+ phone to a $50 case/screen protector. I use AppleCare+ just based on reviews of people who I know had to use it. Both of the people I know who used it had there phones replaced no questions asked.

I suppose if you buy older phones that aren't not worth that much then buying insurance isn't worth it
Insurance for your phone regardless of Apple or some other brand is a waste of money.
Couldn't disagree more, things happen no matter how careful you are. I have been paying car insurance for 30+ years and have never filed a claim does that mean I should just drop it?

I get a new phone every couple of years so I'm not going to chance a $700+ phone to a $50 case/screen protector. I use AppleCare+ just based on reviews of people who I know had to use it. Both of the people I know who used it had there phones replaced no questions asked.

I suppose if you buy older phones that aren't not worth that much then buying insurance isn't worth it

Couldn't disagree more, things happen no matter how careful you are. I have been paying car insurance for 30+ years and have never filed a claim does that mean I should just drop it?
Well...I am required by law to buy car insurance.

I also have to worry about related medical bills, pain and suffering, law suits etc...
Cars are also far more money to replace than a phone.

Its apples and oranges IMO.
AppleCare+ is also different, and I am pretty sure you MUST but it when you buy the phone - you cant add it later.
It sounds to me as if the OP already has a phone and wants to add insurance - I don't think AppleCare+ is an option.
Most of these phone insurance plans are sold for profit and make it so by the time you make a claim and jump through hoops it was not worth it in my experience.
You will also probably be without a phone for a bit of time - that seems to be the issue with some of the secondary plans.

Lastly - at this point in time most of us have a track record with a smart phone. My kid has broken his screen in the past, so the $5 a month might make sense. I've never broken a screen so the $12 a month for my phone may not be worth it.

If the OP has the option to add AppleCare+ that might be worth it - especially if upgrades and such are included.

BTW - this thread reminded me and I just cancelled the insurance from Google.

First, are you playing frisbee with your phone? A good case is going to protect your phone.

Second, it’s what, $1000 to replace a phone? It’s far, far more money to replace a car, home, or pay for medical. Those insurances are not the same.

Well...I am required by law to buy car insurance.

I also have to worry about related medical bills, pain and suffering, law suits etc...
Cars are also far more money to replace than a phone.

AppleCare+ is also different, and I am pretty sure you MUST but it when you buy the phone - you cant add it later.
It sounds to me as if the OP already has a phone and wants to add insurance - I don't think AppleCare+ is an option.
Most of these phone insurance plans are sold for profit and make it so by the time you make a claim and jump through hoops it was not worth it in my experience.
You will also probably be without a phone for a bit of time - that seems to be the issue with some of the secondary plans.

Lastly - at this point in time most of us have a track record with a smart phone. My kid has broken his screen in the past, so the $5 a month might make sense. I've never broken a screen so the $12 a month for my phone may not be worth it.

If the OP has the option to add AppleCare+ that might be worth it - especially if upgrades and such are included.

BTW - this thread reminded me and I just cancelled the insurance from Google.
We only use insurance on newer phones and then drop it, I’ve never had insurance on any of mine because I’ve never lost or damaged one. Just used it on dd21’s 6 month old phone, she’s a nightmare with phones (she pays for her phones and insurance). It’s very simple, a replacement phone arrived the next day with packaging to ship the damaged one back, just had to drop it in a mailbox. I don’t think she’s ever not used insurance on any phone (has a case and screen protector).

One of my daughters dropped her iPhone into a portapotty last year.
Yeah - no case will help with that - well maybe - but still - no thanks.

We only use insurance on newer phones and then drop it, I’ve never had insurance on any of mine because I’ve never lost or damaged one. Just used it on dd21’s 6 month old phone, she’s a nightmare with phones (she pays for her phones and insurance). It’s very simple, a replacement phone arrived the next day with packaging to ship the damaged one back, just had to drop it in a mailbox. I don’t think she’s ever not used insurance on any phone (has a case and screen protector).
In your previous example - that would be a 200 deducible on top of the $12 a month . And in NY loss is not covered at all even if you pay the $12 a month.

Screens are only $29 with insurance - but you have to carry it in - they don't do an exchange - so it might take a little more time and effort.

Again it all depends on the plan.

Last edited:
It's the same principle insurance of any kind it doesn't have to be specific to car insurance. I pay $20 pm for life insurance just in case I die my family is taken care of. If all goes well no one will ever see a dime of that insurance policy but I'm still paying.

It only takes one oopps to break a phone. I would much rather spend the $7-8 bucks a month then to have to shell out another $1000 for a phone. Again it's all relatvie how you buy your phone, I replace my phones every 2 years so the cost of the phone is expensive(not to mention I buy 4 for the family). If I buy a phone 3-4 years old worth only a couple hundred then I would probably have to think about insurance or not.

It's the same principle insurance of any kind it doesn't have to be specific to car insurance. I pay $20 pm for life insurance just in case I die my family is taken care of. If all goes well no one will ever see a dime of that insurance policy but I'm still paying.

It only takes one oopps to break a phone. I would much rather spend the $7-8 bucks a month then to have to shell out another $1000 for a phone. Again it's all relatvie how you buy your phone, I replace my phones every 2 years so the cost of the phone is expensive(not to mention I buy 4 for the family). If I buy a phone 3-4 years old worth only a couple hundred then I would probably have to think about insurance or not.
Yeah - just providing all the info

Between deducible and $12 a month its just not worth it to me - and I buy the top of the line pixel pretty much very other release.

My first phone was a Motorola brick - so I have a long history of phones to look back on.

I also don't own an apple phone, so I put a case on it and a screen protector.
Too many Apple folks don't want to put a case on it because they want to show of the perceived status of the Apple phone.

In the end every person and different and needs to decide the risk\cost in their case.
The more info they have the better choice they can make.

Yeah - no case will help with that - well maybe - but still - no thanks.

In your previous example - that would be a 200 deducible on top of the $12 a month . And in NY loss is not covered at all even if you pay the $12 a month.

Screens are only $29 with insurance - but you have to carry it in - they don't do an exchange - so it might take a little more time and effort.

Again it all depends on the plan.
It was a $100 deductible. It was t just the screen, it hardly functions. She’s a poor college student who wouldn’t be able to afford a new phone, and like most her age cares about things like picture quality. Me, I buy the oldest phone they sell and keep it until it quits, my iPhone 8 works great, so does my husband’s iPhone 5 se.

All insurance and warranties have a negative expected utility. On average, you will pay more for the coverage than you would without the coverage. It's all about risk-tolerance and your ability to save to cover unexpected expenses.

A screen replacement costs $100 for my phone. Would I rather pay $10/month plus a $30 deductible in the event I need it? What are the legitimate chances of a total loss? Incredibly low. The insurance sellers like to say you're insuring a $1,000 device, but you're really only protecting a couple hundred in damages.

Personally, I'm going to accept the risk. Worst case; I have to use an old phone that's been stuck in a drawer for a few weeks while the other is repaired for less than I would have paid for the insurance. I don't even use a case.

Insurance is a personal choice for phones.
For me and I do use iphone and buy new ones every 3-4 years. Mu sone has a new Iphone late last year... Although I will likely switch like my wife who likes Samsung and has a new one late last year... but also has an iphone for work just because apple service is by far not what it was to say it nice.
We buy 3 in one cases that have a screen protector and boots that make a supposedly water proof phone waterproof. You can get them for under 20 on ebay. I have dropped my phone on tile floors, concreate floors where it rolled and more. My wife is always drooping her phones but mostly on our hardwood floors my son well he is a teen....... Never a cracked screen or issue. I had an XR that went through me and my son 7 years later it looked as good as the day I bought it when my sone traded last year and it was dropped many times even from a bike.... so that is my insurance. A big ugly cushioned case.

And why do you need to buy a new phone every 2 yrs? Its a PHONE and maybe you use it to send texts, read your emails or take a few pictures. My life doesn't revolve around the use of my phone and I keep them until the battery stops holding a charge. Think my current phone is over 5 yrs old and still going strong. Waste of money to buy a new one just because there happens to be a newer model. Most states (maybe all) require you to have car insurance. Car dealer won't let you drive your new car off the property without showing proof of insurance. There is no law saying you need phone insurance. Two unrelated things.

Insurance is a personal decision. I have never had insurance on my iPhone. Never lost one or damaged on either. Same for my husband and younger son. We get our iPhones every few years thru AT&T.

Older son buys his iPhones thru Apple and has Apple care +. He won’t use a case or screen protector. Drops his phone all the time. Needed 2 replacement phones last year. Needs another one right now. For him, insurance is a must have. For the rest of us, not so much.

I pay my phone bill with a card that includes insurance. $750 in coverage after a $50 deductible and the only thing I'm out is the opportunity cost of additional points or cash back for using a different credit card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter