• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Interactive wands?

mickeymaker2003

DIS Veteran
Anyone have experience with the interactive wands? My daughter will be 10 when we go and is interested in it. At $49, I'd like to know what others thought of them.

They're awesome. My girls had so much fun with them, well worth the price IMO

My sister and I both got them and loved them!!

I suggest getting them one day and then using them first thing in the day. This will give you more time to do more locations without waiting in lines.

Totally awesome. The grandparents bought the kids gift cards so they could buy the wands (though we'd have bought them if they hadn't). So much fun! We were there 3 days, bought them AM day 1 and brought them with us each day. We stayed onsite and I had the boxes and bags sent back to the hotel as they were big.

My son loves his. My husband loves his. (they have multiple non-interactives and at least one interactive each).

I think they are a bore. I don't mind standing around watching all the effects go off, but when I see a lineup to make the umbrella rain time after time after time...meh.

That said, watching the one at the water well (wishing well?) that every few times spouts water over the spellcaster's head and hits some unsuspecting passerby, parent, or watcher, is absolutely hilarious.

Sorry to be a bummer, but you asked for opinions. 2/3 of my family LOVES them.

Bumbershoot is right. First time we went, we didn't get a wand; we just enjoyed watching other people. Once the lines for spells start forming, it looses the appeal for me. It's no fun to watch the spell go off ten times in a row before I get my chance. I try to do them during early entry when the park is still fairly empty, and everyone else is rushing off to the rides. I have an AP and go every couple months. We have one wand the whole family shares, so I feel we are getting our money's worth. It might not be worth the cost to you if this is a one time trip, and you are going at a very busy time. However, if your daughter is a huge fan, it could be a nice souvenir for her to take home even if you only get to play with it for a little while. Maybe talk to her about splitting the cost between the two of you. You can also take some time to decide. Watch other people first to see exactly how it works, and then decide if watching is good enough or if you really have to do it yourself.

Personally, 10 sounds like a great age for one to me. Old enough to be a little responsible with something expensive and breakable. Old enough to understand saving their allowance or contributing to an expensive thing they want. Old enough to operate the wand. (It can be a little tricky, and kids can have a hard time doing the wand motions right to get the spells to activate. Who am I kidding. Adults can have a hard time!) Young enough to still get caught up in the magic.

You'll have fun whatever you decide.

We got them for the kids. One of the boys (10y) did each one the first day and then was over it. He never got his wand out again. My other son (10y) LOVED it and would do the same ones over and over again. :)

My DS got one at age 10 and loved it. He's a big HP fan and did all the interactive spots several times. We even had to go back before leaving the park so he could do his favorite spot one last time :) I loved seeing his big smile when the window responded.

It looks like they hold their value quite well if you want to resell on Ebay when you get home.

I`ve bought a few for my various God Children and friends kids, and they all love them.....even the slightly older ones who asked for one.

Definitely worth it.........

Heck, I'm an adult who carries around a non-interactive wand at the parks. I couldn't imagine how excited I would be as a kid with an interactive one!

They are fun, but as PP have stated, the lines for the "magic spots" can get long and boring. Also, carrying it around all day was a pain - it's not something you want to jam in a backpack to get broken, but the really nice box and bag it will come in are unwieldy as well.

it's a MUST for any Harry Potter fan, they are part of the experience! start saving HP lands have a lot of cool things that makes the experience magical! butterbeer, Ice cream shop, eating at the three broomsticks or the leaking cauldron, bring your money! it is worthy, also do check Hot Topic they have lots of HP merchandise for a very nice price (not the wands)

If you buy a robe (my 11th DD's bday present)- there is a cool wand pocket :)

My kids LOVED the interactive wands! They were 13 and 11 at the time. When we go next year, I plan on buying them new wands…unless…does anyone know if wands we bought in 2015 will still work in 2018?

They're not just for kids... I bought one on my honeymoon as a treat last year and had a blast with it! Takes a little while to master some of the spells but totally worth it, for the kid at heart too ;)

My kids LOVED the interactive wands! They were 13 and 11 at the time. When we go next year, I plan on buying them new wands…unless…does anyone know if wands we bought in 2015 will still work in 2018?
You shouldn't need to buy new wands. There are no batteries involved in the wands. Just a bit of reflective glass/material so that the wands can be seen at the magic spots. As long as your wands from 2015 are interactive wands, they will be good for your trip in 2018.

They're not just for kids... I bought one on my honeymoon as a treat last year and had a blast with it! Takes a little while to master some of the spells but totally worth it, for the kid at heart too ;)
^This! I went to Universal just after the first of the year. My first trip since Diagon Alley opened and the interactive wands and magic spots came into being. I hemmed and hawed half of the first day and ultimately decided I wanted one. I felt a little silly at first, given that I'm an adult in my late 30s, but I really had a lot of fun using it at each of the magic spots and I was far from the only adult doing so. Fun for the kid and the kid at heart and totally worth it to me. I did end up going with a character wand from the Universal Studios Store on the main drag in Studios rather than back in Diagon Alley simply because my AmEx discount could be used on HP stuff from that store, but not from any of the shops in the HP sections of the parks, which allowed me to save about $5 on it.

lets just say I once witnessed a father 'help' his ( very small) child who tried several times to get hers to work. after about ten minutes of her begging to get it back, he finally relented. poor kid just couldn't get the swish and flick right and dad was having way too much fun and ignoring her attempts to retrieve it. quite honestly as far as souvenirs go, they really are not that outrageously priced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter