Interesting article about Disney's future

I think these quotes from the article pretty much sum up what's happened/is happening:

"Disney is paying down its Fox acquisition and using the rest of its funds to grind out new shows to help get the Disney+ streaming service off the ground.

Disney Parks routinely pull in billions in revenue, but other parts of the corporation are sucking up the benefits. The parks are being used as a cash cow to pay for other obligations, and the cow is being drained of milk."

Last edited:
I'm afraid letting the parks suffer or operate in a "lean" capacity is a grievous mistake and many, many people are already disenchanted and spending their dollars elsewhere. Our annual trip is becoming biannual after our trip next month due to increasing cost and diminished magic. 🤷‍♀️ I was fully willing to pay the premium when the extras were there, but there's no incentive to pay the premium for nothing extra.

No one said every year. But 10 and 6 years to build 2 coasters is over the top ridiculous. They just have no urgency with anything.
And with nothing in the pipeline right now after these last couple open in the spring. Yet attendance continues growing.

I'm by no means a Disney expert, but I'm beginning to think our trip with the kids and grandkids in April will be our (the grandparents') last hurrah. After reading the article, I'm glad we decided to make it a once-in-a- lifetime splurge.
This DL visit will be almost 64 years since my first one. My wife will be 78 this spring.I t's certainly not heading in the right direction for us to come back.I wonder if our kids even will -- and they can afford it better than we can.
Bring back the magic, Disney!

I will say that I don't understand why folks get ... cranky ... when there are no new attractions every year minimum at every single park.
It helps to know and understand the past. Epcot for instance had no investment for a long long long time, then they started doing stuff and now you've got the horrible front part that is now going to be so pared back from concept art I don't even know why they are continuing with it.

They also just are taking way too long on these newer experiences that are supposed to placate people.

The gripe usually isn't about "must have new attraction" it's about how has Disney as a company seen their parks and the future forward thinking of investment. Disney simply decided for a long time period to just sorta sit back not just in attractions but also upkeep of existing attractions. I think they got more into the "eh we're too big no one can catch us" for too long.

I definitely noticed the lack of cleanliness and things not working on some rides during my Christmas trip. Small World, Peoplemover, Buzz and Space Mountain all had ride vehicles that looked pretty gross. Buzz in general looks so old and dated, even despite the queue getting a refurb a while back. On Spaceship Earth, the cameras barely worked (some of me and my mom's faces were cut off). That ride really does need a refurb and I'm disappointed that it was cancelled. I know Splash is closing, but the state it's currently in is a joke. A decent chunk of the animatronics were not working. I've heard that Indiana Jones in Disneyland looks just as bad. For the price of admission and everything else, I expect the rides to be in better shape.

Don't even get me started on the "un-theming" of the resorts. I know you are mainly paying for the location to MK but that almost $1k a night Contemporary room looks awful. Carousel Coffee at Boardwalk looks like a hospital cafeteria.

Last edited:
No one said every year. But 10 and 6 years to build 2 coasters is over the top ridiculous. They just have no urgency with anything.
Is that the only ones thought or are folks fixated on them? At the top of my head from the last 5 years at the US parks they added Pandora at AK, Galaxy's Edge DLR and HS, Toon Town for DLR, Avenger's Headquarters at DCA, Guardians' at EPCOT, MMRR at HS (I think it's HS) . And somehow that is not enough just because 1 or 2 coasters took longer that expected because of a global pandemic.

I'm not defending their lack of maintenance of attractions, or how some older ones look dated and need upkeep. Or that some decisions they are making like the EPCOT big refurb that keeps reducing aren't bad or cheap. But saying they have no urgency with anything and they haven't done anything recently is false. They have done lots of things, maybe folks are just too used to those now or go so often they lost the newness or the last few years have messed up with time perception, I don't know.

I think the risk Disney is can they keep the parks fresh and interesting enough, with sufficient quality of experience, to keep people coming back as well as attracting those who have never gone before. People will expect value for money spent, and an an enjoyable experience. Poor maintenance, overcrowding, lack of new attractions could all result in drop off at some point, but for now, they are at sufficiently high demand with high prices. The mistake is assuming it will always be this way if they do nothing. Watching the series on Disney+ about imagineering and the development of the parks all over the world really emphasized a vision and culture that I'm not sure has been adequately maintained. And the lack of theming to current movies is also a risk. Sorry, does any child under 10 know who Peter Pan is?

It's hard to argue with most of that article, IMO. The maintenance part has gotten so sadly obvious. We had a wonderful time last month during the height of the holidays, but that is 100% b/c we went in with the attitude that we were going to make the most of things and have a great time, no matter what. We had 3 multi-experience passes due to rides going down by early afternoon on our first park day in DL... and not b/c we were fishing for them. And more than once, we decided to use one on a nearby ride only to realize it was also down! So - good thing we came armed with a good attitude!

Aside from rides going down, it's the small(er) things that build up and lessen the experience. Things like the messed-up audio on Space Mountain (small thing, sure, but distracting in a negative way), or leaving an open hole in the ceiling above the shower with visible cut-off plumbing in a bathroom with a door that won't shut in the DLH (flipping premium view club room at that!). We don't regret going, but DH and DS are headed to Universal in Orlando in March, and it'll be interesting to hear the comparisons for a trip that costs less pp. Neither of our teens has expressed any interest in future family trips to DLR or WDW at this point.

Pandora at AK
Construction started on that in the Jan 2014 opening ~Memorial Day 2017
Galaxy's Edge DLR and HS
At DL construction started April 2016, opened with 1 of the 2 attractions end of May 2019. I was there in September 2019 and many locals were vocal about their disappointment in what it was. The second attraction opened January 2020....about 7 months later.

At WDW construction started April 2016, opened with 1 of the 2 attractions end of August 2019. The second attraction opened early December 2019.

The land opened scaled back from what originally was supposed to have, I believe a 3rd attraction was cut from what most people think.
Guardians' at EPCOT
Guardians started construction August 2017 delayed from late 2021 opened Memorial Day weekend 2022
MMRR at HS
Construction started August 2017, original opening sometime in 2019, opened in March 2020.

Disney can build things even with delays quicker than they've done now.

A global pandemic is only partly responsible for Tron. The issues were largely early on in the pandemic with parts and delays in resuming construction earlier (something they did admit). I mentioned in my other comment just how much dirt there in May, it was shocking. My husband was shocked and he worked on power plants that often took 6-7 years but the building process was usually 2 years and under. Rest was planning, estimates, ordering of parts, etc.

They seem to have decided to not finish it quickly enough. There was no reason why in May of 2022 more than 2 years after the pandemic had started that there should have been that much dirt there, it was painfully and woefully clear they weren't putting much effort into getting it open. I think once fall of 2022 got closer and nothing was announced it's seems more and more clear they were pushing Tron out so it can drum up interest once the 50th celebration is ending and from what we know the opening date will be right around that. As a consequence of the construction the Railroad was closed for more than 4 years and just opened a few weeks ago.

I think the risk Disney is can they keep the parks fresh and interesting enough, with sufficient quality of experience, to keep people coming back as well as attracting those who have never gone before. People will expect value for money spent, and an an enjoyable experience. Poor maintenance, overcrowding, lack of new attractions could all result in drop off at some point, but for now, they are at sufficiently high demand with high prices. The mistake is assuming it will always be this way if they do nothing. Watching the series on Disney+ about imagineering and the development of the parks all over the world really emphasized a vision and culture that I'm not sure has been adequately maintained. And the lack of theming to current movies is also a risk. Sorry, does any child under 10 know who Peter Pan is?
You know, this is something we talked about in December after our teens declined to go on a number of rides; they don't care about Disney history, and at this point - they'd have to, in order to enjoy some of the old rides. (Unless someone out there really thinks Mr. Toad is a great ride lol.) Updates are going to make an equal number of people angry and happy. Some people don't want any of the classic old rides to change, which is a perspective I get, and I don't love the idea of catering to new IP only. The reality is that a good ride is a good ride, and there weren't enough of those (per their definitions) to keep my teens interested in a future trip. They have grown up on a variety of Disney vacations (parks, Aulani, DCL, etc.), and in like 10-15 years, they are the ones who will have kids to take on Disney vacations. Just not sure they will be as into them anymore, certainly not the way I would have thought 5 years ago.

We really enjoy Spaceship Earth but one of the first scenes was in really bad shape, you could hardly see anything.
I love Spaceship Earth too, but I'm SURE it's tied to nostalgia from going as a kid in the 80s when EPCOT was this amazing futuristic wonderland. There is just no way that my kids' generation is going to develop that kind of nostalgia when rides are messed up and have elements not working, on top of being outdated.

I love Spaceship Earth too, but I'm SURE it's tied to nostalgia from going as a kid in the 80s when EPCOT was this amazing futuristic wonderland. There is just no way that my kids' generation is going to develop that kind of nostalgia when rides are messed up and have elements not working, on top of being outdated.
Totally agree.

Although I wouldn't Space Earth to go away current kids probably think the slow moving ominmover boring although I think the descent is kinda cool with the "stars" and all.

I was initially really worried when the refurb was supposed to happen worried that they would take away too much of what it was but now as it has sat and sat and sat I wish that refurb was back on the table. If only to take some time to spruce up lighting, clean it all up. That's the thing that gets me with the attractions in general. I expect wear and tear but there's been too much delayed maintenance for far too long it's disappointing.

Disney seems to be doing just fine. I will be interested to see how it goes if the economy tanks, but even then I think people will go into debt to go to the park regardless of how it is.

The thing I don't understand is why people "who have been going forever" actually think that Disney had decent rides in the past? In the 80's there were no good rides compared to other parks. The fun was getting immersed into the Disney universe.

In the last 2 decades, Disney has focused on high tech high adventure rides - Because that is what the up and coming generations want. "Its a Small World" is the stupidest "ride" in the universe, but it is still nostalgic to many people.

If you want Disney to have awesome rides, and still have the "magic" from the early days, you are fighting a losing battle. I do not think you can have both. And the universe at large wants awesome rides.

Construction started on that in the Jan 2014 opening ~Memorial Day 2017

At DL construction started April 2016, opened with 1 of the 2 attractions end of May 2019. I was there in September 2019 and many locals were vocal about their disappointment in what it was. The second attraction opened January 2020....about 7 months later.

At WDW construction started April 2016, opened with 1 of the 2 attractions end of August 2019. The second attraction opened early December 2019.

The land opened scaled back from what originally was supposed to have, I believe a 3rd attraction was cut from what most people think.

Guardians started construction August 2017 delayed from late 2021 opened Memorial Day weekend 2022

Construction started August 2017, original opening sometime in 2019, opened in March 2020.

Disney can build things even with delays quicker than they've done now.

A global pandemic is only partly responsible for Tron. The issues were largely early on in the pandemic with parts and delays in resuming construction earlier (something they did admit). I mentioned in my other comment just how much dirt there in May, it was shocking. My husband was shocked and he worked on power plants that often took 6-7 years but the building process was usually 2 years and under. Rest was planning, estimates, ordering of parts, etc.

They seem to have decided to not finish it quickly enough. There was no reason why in May of 2022 more than 2 years after the pandemic had started that there should have been that much dirt there, it was painfully and woefully clear they weren't putting much effort into getting it open. I think once fall of 2022 got closer and nothing was announced it's seems more and more clear they were pushing Tron out so it can drum up interest once the 50th celebration is ending and from what we know the opening date will be right around that. As a consequence of the construction the Railroad was closed for more than 4 years and just opened a few weeks ago.
I fail to see why it matters when construction started for the attractions. I said things we got in the last 5 years, not things that started and finished.

I've seen how hard it was to acquire certain materials during the past few years. I can see why the construction was delayed and then they decided to push the opening.

I think some folks should practice patience and maybe be a bit less entitled. We can agree to disagree. That's fine :)

One day I will finally make it to WDW and enjoy all the new things it has that folks seems to be tired of but I haven't had the chance to experience.

The thing I don't understand is why people "who have been going forever" actually think that Disney had decent rides in the past? In the 80's there were no good rides compared to other parks. The fun was getting immersed into the Disney universe.

In the last 2 decades, Disney has focused on high tech high adventure rides - Because that is what the up and coming generations want. "Its a Small World" is the stupidest "ride" in the universe, but it is still nostalgic to many people.

If you want Disney to have awesome rides, and still have the "magic" from the early days, you are fighting a losing battle. I do not think you can have both. And the universe at large wants awesome rides.
It's actually kinda funny because even when you give them awesome rides with Disney theming aka Guardians for example, they complain about IPs. When they are making something in the vibes of "classic EPCOT" like the Moana water walkthru they are building, it's too simple and not a ride. When they put a new ride in two dif parks they are just cloning attractions instead of being original.

It's impossible to please them.

This is a great article. To me it's more the little things that are adding up: reduced theming in the hotels and non-park areas. Lack of cleanliness. Rides being down constantly or having broken features when they are up (I honestly can't even remember how Indy is supposed to look, nor am I sure I've even seen all the effects in Rise). Removing entertainment. Cutting staff which often results in reduces capacity on rides. Long lines for food. Nickel and diming for things like Genie+ is Disney's prerogative, but when the nickel and diming comes with a diminishing product, that doesn't work. My wife and I are addicted for life to Disneyland, but it's become harder to recommend it to friends, my parents don't like to come along anymore (or if they do, they just want to stay club level at the GCH, do a few rides the enjoy the club), etc.

I think the 5 year timelines for Tron and Guardians are a bit overstated - part of that was the pandemic, and part that, at least with Tron, they're being intentionally slow to pick the right time to open to boost crowds. But more concerning are all the cutbacks. Epcot in particular is seemingly a disaster and not going to be at all what they originally advertised. Similar to Galaxy's Edge which ended up being a lot less than previously pitched. I don't need a new ride every year to get excited, but overpromising/underdelivering is not a winning strategy anytime.

I fail to see why it matters when construction started for the attractions. I said things we got in the last 5 years, not things that started and finished.

I've seen how hard it was to acquire certain materials during the past few years. I can see why the construction was delayed and then they decided to push the opening.

I think some folks should practice patience and maybe be a bit less entitled. We can agree to disagree. That's fine :)

One day I will finally make it to WDW and enjoy all the new things it has that folks seems to be tired of but I haven't had the chance to experience.
You're the one who listed off what you saw as things that came in the last 5 years.

1) the point is these are projects that were announced largely when they realized they have to do something to reinvigorate the parks. That's a reason why people complained because they sat for a long time without doing too too much with the parks then all of a sudden in 2016/2017 they announce stuff and start construction on things during that time period and the several years after. You're the one who said you didn't know why people were cranky...

2) It would appear you missed the time lines. Generally they were able to build the attractions on a faster scale than they are choosing to do now. That is also a valid point people are having. I was one of the people who said "hey guys it's a pandemic after all" but as time went on that reasoning was less the reason and more of way to mask what they were doing.

There's nothing entitled about what people are saying. I suggest people really limit when they use the word entitlement, it's not a catch all for when you personally don't have an issue with something and someone else does but that does seem to be how people are using it. It doesn't mean that. No one is entitled to new attractions all the time. People however can gripe that the company sat for a long time coasting on their reputation for their parks.

I'm sorry you haven't been to WDW and yet you're telling others to not complain?? I realize this article was posted on the DL side but the article is discussing Disney parks in general. There's a reason people have been complaining a lot about WDW and the state of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter