Interesting article about Disney's future

Whoa, "no good rides"? Even if you don't think the iconic Disneyland dark rides like the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and Peter Pan are "good," how about the Matterhorn? Big Thunder? Splash Mountain? Space Mountain? All of those were available in the 1908s.
I was a teen in the 80s, and I certainly don't recall thinking there were "no good rides". I LOVED Disneyland. I never went through a period where I would have turned down a Disney trip. Never! Space Mountain and Pirates were my faves. And Star Tours opened then. Splash was closer to 1990 I think, but the place was awesome in the 80s. I think Disneyland itself was actually superior to the DL of today.

I was a teen in the 80s, and I certainly don't recall thinking there were "no good rides". I LOVED Disneyland. I never went through a period where I would have turned down a Disney trip. Never! Space Mountain and Pirates were my faves. And Star Tours opened then. Splash was closer to 1990 I think, but the place was awesome in the 80s. I think Disneyland itself was actually superior to the DL of today.
Ah, thanks, I forgot that Star Tours opened in 1987. And Splash was in 1989.

And I didn't even mention iasw. 8-)

Yes, many good rides at DL in the '80s!

"Once Disney loses the favor of the families who can't afford to go, it will be left with customers who can afford luxury products but will judge Disney accordingly when it falls short. Goodwill can run out, and customers can follow it."

Yep. Our last trip in November was it for us for a long while (2 adults, 4 children.) We're taking our kids to Tokyo this November instead. Approximately same cost.

"Once Disney loses the favor of the families who can't afford to go, it will be left with customers who can afford luxury products but will judge Disney accordingly when it falls short. Goodwill can run out, and customers can follow it."

Yep. Our last trip in November was it for us for a long while (2 adults, 4 children.) We're taking our kids to Tokyo this November instead. Approximately same cost.
We're pretty sure we're doing Japan (mostly touring the country but a few days for DL) in 2024 and when we were looking into DL there my husband just kept saying "the tickets are soooo reasonable" in comparison that is to here.

The thing I don't understand is why people "who have been going forever" actually think that Disney had decent rides in the past? In the 80's there were no good rides compared to other parks. The fun was getting immersed into the Disney universe.

In the last 2 decades, Disney has focused on high tech high adventure rides - Because that is what the up and coming generations want. "Its a Small World" is the stupidest "ride" in the universe, but it is still nostalgic to many people.

If you want Disney to have awesome rides, and still have the "magic" from the early days, you are fighting a losing battle. I do not think you can have both. And the universe at large wants awesome rides.
Disneyland had decent rides in the past and they are still the big draw here today (Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, Skyway, just to name a few. I remember waiting in line for Big Thunder Mountain with my boyfriend (now husband). Disneyland needs to follow the old attention to detail when making new lands (rides, restaurants, etc). Do not cut corners. Do not tell us all the cool stuff envisioned, then turn out a shell of a product. Give us a full service restaurant with awesome food offerings not generic burgers, chicken strips and fries. Bring back foods that were authentic to each land/area and you can get it only there, or in just that land, especially a known favorite of Walt's. Bring back breakfast choices, not a "scramble" whatever and then, charge twice as much. Look at Knotts, they are NOT charging for parking for hotel guests! Disney, you really need to look back over decades of service and see where you started the slide down decline in service, product, entertainment and turn it around.

I tend to disagree with people who say Disney is a "theme park". IMO it's a resort, immersive vacation. Six Flags, Knotts Berry Farm are "theme parks". My DD lived in Fl for several years. She was a CM and had an annual pass to Universal. She said "I'd go to Universal when I wanted thrill rides, cheap scenery, and a single day visit.

I tend to disagree with people who say Disney is a "theme park". IMO it's a resort, immersive vacation. Six Flags, Knotts Berry Farm are "theme parks". My DD lived in Fl for several years. She was a CM and had an annual pass to Universal. She said "I'd go to Universal when I wanted thrill rides, cheap scenery, and a single day visit.
Disney is a theme park. Six Flags is an amusement park.

I guess the hotels and shopping district for Universal are made up? Hahaha come on. Disney and Universal are theme parks they are also both immersive vacations.

Do you think day guests care much about the hotels? Many DISers overestimate the opinions those who are not on this board have about Disney. Many don't really place it on a pedestal it really is just a theme park.

Great article they nailed it!
No new attractions for the next 5 years is gonna be a problem.
I keep thinking they haven’t announced anything new coming at it takes them 5 years after they announce it.
I guess they think it’s so packed it doesn’t matter if they build anything new.

The trams not back after being promised really sucks for those of us who use them.

They talk about the guest service experience and in the past whenever I sent an email to guest services they always called me and discussed the issue now if you send something to guest services you just get a generic reply back and that’s it.

I love Disney but they definitely have issues they could improve on.

Last edited:
The trams not backed after being promised back really sucks for those of us who use them.
I didn't think this would bother me as much as it has but it was very evident when we were there in May. I remember being at DHS and a mom loudly complaining that they didn't have them and I didn't blame her one bit.

I am understanding that staffing levels are low but at this point in time they should still be able to run them. I don't necessarily expect them to be running as frequently as before but something. And you're right it's a great example like someone else mentioned about promising and yet not delivering.

I know Silver Dollar City is much much smaller but when were were there they had school buses and trams running constantly from the parking lot to and from the entrance. I would have expected it much harder to find someone to drive transit in the Ozark mountains than in Orlando. And over at Universal their buses run constantly as well and their boats too.

I didn't think this would bother me as much as it has but it was very evident when we were there in May. I remember being at DHS and a mom loudly complaining that they didn't have them and I didn't blame her one bit.

I am understanding that staffing levels are low but at this point in time they should still be able to run them. I don't necessarily expect them to be running as frequently as before but something. And you're right it's a great example like someone else mentioned about promising and yet not delivering.

I know Silver Dollar City is much much smaller but when were were there they had school buses and trams running constantly from the parking lot to and from the entrance. I would have expected it much harder to find someone to drive transit in the Ozark mountains than in Orlando. And over at Universal their buses run constantly as well and their boats too.
Its why I don't buy the staffing excuse anymore.

Its why I don't buy the staffing excuse anymore.
At this point me either. I understood it more when they were opting to stage the come back of them rather than all 4 parks getting them at once but after a while it didn't make as much sense. I think it's an operational cost decision where to them they think it's not as essential to guest experience and they get to save some money by not having it all running. I do think they intended to bring them back but it looks very unfavorable to them to make a big show about bringing them all back and yet not.

At this point me either. I understood it more when they were opting to stage the come back of them rather than all 4 parks getting them at once but after a while it didn't make as much sense. I think it's an operational cost decision where to them they think it's not as essential to guest experience and they get to save some money by not having it all running. I do think they intended to bring them back but it looks very unfavorable to them to make a big show about bringing them all back and yet not.
Agreed. They don't seem in mood to spend money on the parks right now.

I think the risk Disney is can they keep the parks fresh and interesting enough, with sufficient quality of experience, to keep people coming back as well as attracting those who have never gone before. People will expect value for money spent, and an an enjoyable experience. Poor maintenance, overcrowding, lack of new attractions could all result in drop off at some point, but for now, they are at sufficiently high demand with high prices. The mistake is assuming it will always be this way if they do nothing. Watching the series on Disney+ about imagineering and the development of the parks all over the world really emphasized a vision and culture that I'm not sure has been adequately maintained. And the lack of theming to current movies is also a risk. Sorry, does any child under 10 know who Peter Pan is?
I agree with absolutely everything you say & well-said! I am concerned at the over-theming to movies, though. Nemo in EPCOT, Tiana in New Orleans Square, etc. Here & there is nice, if they choose very carefully, but one of the things I adored about EPCOT was that it was free of much of the branding & was just genius in its own way.

I remember many years ago when Disney realized that many little ones didn't know their most valuable characters, they started showing new Mickey Mouse cartoons on Disney Junior. Et voila! A whole new generation of Disney fans.

This will show my age, but when I was a kid, before home video of any kind, Disney showed an original film in theatres ever 2 weeks over the summer for, I think 2 summers running. "Snow White", "Alice in Wonderland", "Robin Hood" -- all of them. On huge screens & it was a great experience for my sister & me -- & an inexpensive way to spend the summer heat. And I became a Disney fan -- knew all the characters & stories. They need to do something similar to make it an event to watch a Disney movie they want you to re-learn.

Yeah, I'm old!

I haven't been to WDW in ages, but I was shocked to read this. I couldn't imagine to taking my mom w/o a tram. She simply would not be able to walk from the car.

I agree with absolutely everything you say & well-said! I am concerned at the over-theming to movies, though. Nemo in EPCOT, Tiana in New Orleans Square, etc. Here & there is nice, if they choose very carefully, but one of the things I adored about EPCOT was that it was free of much of the branding & was just genius in its own way.

I remember many years ago when Disney realized that many little ones didn't know their most valuable characters, they started showing new Mickey Mouse cartoons on Disney Junior. Et voila! A whole new generation of Disney fans.

This will show my age, but when I was a kid, before home video of any kind, Disney showed an original film in theatres ever 2 weeks over the summer for, I think 2 summers running. "Snow White", "Alice in Wonderland", "Robin Hood" -- all of them. On huge screens & it was a great experience for my sister & me -- & an inexpensive way to spend the summer heat. And I became a Disney fan -- knew all the characters & stories. They need to do something similar to make it an event to watch a Disney movie they want you to re-learn.

Yeah, I'm old!

Yeah, Disney has not supported the kids summer movie series in theaters for YEARS. You'd think offering their old catalog for that program could have been a continued winner for their classic films...

Disney "winning" the Fox purchase is going to hurt the parks for a while. They are over leveraged to pay for it and have been slashing everywhere to pay off the debt. Streaming isn't a great profit machine either which is why they bought Fox. The little and major cuts throughout the parks through the years have put a huge dent in their reputation and perceived value that will take years to recover, if they can. The loss of talent may be irreparable.
Meanwhile Universal is building a third (fourth if you count the water park) plus plans for a mini park in Texas, by "losing" out on Fox. An Orlando Universal trip may soon be perceived as an equivalent to Disney with a much more reasonable price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter