Interesting article, Disney may have finally exceeded the price people will pay

Did anyone see the article from Market Watch stating that Disney inflated revenues for many years( also mentioned on Dis unplugged yesterday). In a nutshell, a a senior analyst employed for 18 years went to SEC and reported the allegations, however, she had tried to report the problem to the company and one month later she was fired. She alleged that glitches in the system allowed the company to record purchase and use of GC twice once when purchased and once when used. Additionally 500.oo GC were sold at 395(?) but recorded as 500. According to the article, other "glitches" in the system were to record as profit record as revenue golf, tickets and other given away but recorded as profit as used. The allegations were denied however, stock continues to go down. Perhaps this was part of the impetus for the huge hikes in ticket prices.

My question is does a behemoth company create their own software or do they purchase it? I am betting they create their own and would make it proprietary if not they would have released a statement condemning the software company.

My question is does a behemoth company create their own software or do they purchase it? I am betting they create their own and would make it proprietary if not they would have released a statement condemning the software company.

They purchase it. And they can't condemn the software company because of a lot of things in this case, all of which have nothing to do with the software company. Even if you use an out of the box application, you can always tailor or circumvent things to your company needs. Especially for big companies using these software packages as no 2 companies are truly the same. If true (and it seems unlikely the amount the analyst was stating, there are a lot of holes in her story), it would be due to collusion and a lot of people involved, not the software.

Here's the thread on this topic:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/potential-fraud-at-disney.3765759/

Really encouraging to see that reaction from someone who's visited DLR recently. We reached that point with WDW after our last visit six years ago and decided that any Disney visits going forward would be at DLR. I worried the Star Wars changes and anticipated crowds might not be the direction we'd enjoy. Good to know that DLR still has the potential to deliver the spirit and the style of touring we enjoy at this point.

It really, really did. Pretty much every ride that exists at both parks felt superior at DLR, sometimes because of design differences (Space Mt, for example) and sometimes because of maintenance differences (Splash, for one). And our timing was incredible, catching both the return of the "over California" film at Soarin', which I vastly prefer, and Hyperspace Mountain. The QS was infinitely better, we stayed at a nice off-site property within easy walking distance of the parks, and we got to ride everything in two days with no pre-planning at all (we did spring for Maxpass... which actually leads me to the one place I think WDW has an edge; DLR has far fewer Photopass photogs. Still enough that the PP aspect of MP was a nice perk, but they're not with every character and at every iconic ride building the way they are at WDW). We're already planning a return visit, either in January when DD heads back to school after the holidays or to meet up with her during her spring break.

It really, really did. Pretty much every ride that exists at both parks felt superior at DLR, sometimes because of design differences (Space Mt, for example) and sometimes because of maintenance differences (Splash, for one). And our timing was incredible, catching both the return of the "over California" film at Soarin', which I vastly prefer, and Hyperspace Mountain. The QS was infinitely better, we stayed at a nice off-site property within easy walking distance of the parks, and we got to ride everything in two days with no pre-planning at all (we did spring for Maxpass... which actually leads me to the one place I think WDW has an edge; DLR has far fewer Photopass photogs. Still enough that the PP aspect of MP was a nice perk, but they're not with every character and at every iconic ride building the way they are at WDW). We're already planning a return visit, either in January when DD heads back to school after the holidays or to meet up with her during her spring break.

I honestly don't feel that staying onsite at DLR offers enough of an advantage to pay the high rates they charge. We did great staying offsite there, something I don't think is quite as convenient at WDW.

I honestly don't feel that staying onsite at DLR offers enough of an advantage to pay the high rates they charge. We did great staying offsite there, something I don't think is quite as convenient at WDW.

I agree. We were at the Eden Roc, near the convention center, and it wasn't more than 10 minutes to the park for around $100/night (on Hotwire). Other than the Swan/Dolphin, which aren't a lot cheaper than the Disney resorts, there aren't any offsite hotels within a 10 minute drive of the WDW parks, never mind within walking distance. When we go back, either in Jan. or Mar., I plan on staying in the same place; the room was nice sized, had a fridge and microwave for leftovers, and was nicely updated with wood floors and hard surfaces that gave it a very clean, comfortable feeling. Plus the parks are open so long, at least during the summer, that we were barely in the rooms - we were at the parks from 8 am to midnight! - so paying hundreds more a night to be on site just didn't make sense.

This kind of stuff happened to us last trip with a toddler too. For the first time it really made me resent all the planning b/c I just had to give it up & trade it to wander around mk looking for something with an acceptable fast pass WAIT.
It is reassuring to know that it is not just us then. It is a pain though that FPP effectively hampers people touring with little kids because it actually lengthens standard wait times on some attractions (small world etc). My sister loves the system. It is brilliant for adults touring in their own or in small groups.

It is reassuring to know that it is not just us then. It is a pain though that FPP effectively hampers people touring with little kids because it actually lengthens standard wait times on some attractions (small world etc). My sister loves the system. It is brilliant for adults touring in their own or in small groups.
Yep I was in that group for a long time of just adults (just DH & I). Worked great for us. But, now, I have a whole new appreciation for how it doesn’t work for everyone. I’ve said many times since bringing DS that for a place that supposed to be for families & kids, it’s not conducive to little kids at all & that’s getting worse. I’m disappointed by that b/c you give up a lot of things when you become parents, but I always thought that was the one “hobby” we could keep even while DS was young. I’m starting to doubt that now.

We go to Orlando several times per year, but we are only for sure going to a park 1 night, for a party. Anything else is a bonus.
We are DVC members, but parks are too rich for our blood for family of 5. Even with DVC Annual Pass prices, you have to KNOW you are going to spend a week in parks to make it worth it. That's a lot of cheddar to lay out there and have something happen to affect your plans if you aren't local.

That being said, we love staying at the resorts via DVC, shopping at Disney Springs... but the only thing that is given is a trip to LegoLand on our $75 annual pass.
And by the way, passes to 3 brands of theme parks is less than 1 day at Disney. (Six Flags, LegoLand, Carowinds,etc... $175 per person for access to all Six Flags parks, Cedar Fair Parks, Merlin attractions, etc...) I know it's not the same, but you can also throw in... museum annual pass, aquarium annual pass, children's museum annual pass... and still be under $500.

I wanted to add... I have long advocated for high ticket prices if it meant manageable crowds and a common sense queue system.
I would be happy to pay $150/day if it meant I could ride all the rides, not have to claim a seat for fireworks hours in advance, etc etc...

As it is, they keep letting more people in AND raising prices AND their queue system stinks compared to alternatives in the theme park world.

Will anyone ever recognise a potential correlation between the smoking ban and park attendance? I smoke and by virtue have a fairly robust disposal income. In my two visits this year I spent on average 1 hour in a park a day. Normally I would spend 4 - 5. Indeed I got so fed up on my August 19 visit I defected to Universal where I felt more welcome. I feel discriminated against so much so I am currently selling my DVC.

Will anyone ever recognise a potential correlation between the smoking ban and park attendance? I smoke and by virtue have a fairly robust disposal income. In my two visits this year I spent on average 1 hour in a park a day. Normally I would spend 4 - 5. Indeed I got so fed up on my August 19 visit I defected to Universal where I felt more welcome. I feel discriminated against so much so I am currently selling my DVC.

Equating your personal priorities to changes in park attendance patterns seems quite the reach. How exactly do you demonstrate a common cause between your tipping point and mine, or the next guest's, and so on and so on? I understand having bitter feelings and thinking avoiding patronage will be a real thumb in their eye, but I think that's merely wishful thinking.

We've attended several events the past few weeks where a lot of the conversation inevitably turned to -- what have you guys been up to this summer? I've lost track of the number of times the topic of Disney came up -- and just as quickly turned to, we just decided not to book, we've decided never again, we've decided no for at least another five years. A couple even talked about having canceled reservations. This is a wide scope of ages, incomes, interests that we ran into at a wide range of different events. Smoking was never mentioned (probably 98% of them are not smokers anyway). I was surprised at how many people said they just didn't feel any excitement or interest in visiting Disney. I was really surprised at the families with kids in the 7-10 year old age range who mentioned the kids weren't super interested -- that seemed kind of impossible to me, but about 3 families mentioned their kids were meh on a Disney trip. That's something I never thought I'd hear.

ETA: Apparently this was the summer of "adventuring" type vacations. I heard a lot about backpack/canoe trips, trips with ziplining and big tire biking?, weeks horseback riding, backwoods camping, etc. I guess that sounds cool, as long as all I have to do is hear the stories and look at the pictures. Not my type of vacations.

Last edited:

Huh. I am a smoker but never imagined that there would be any correlation between attendance being down and the ban on smoking. I guess its possible for at least a portion of the folks not attending.

I do know, that when we went to Orlando this summer, we were, at first, planning two days at Disney. Just couldn't justify the price AND the fact that dh may not be comfortable with the smoking ban (well, me too but him more than me as I am used to being places I can't smoke). So we stuck to Universal and Sea World and had a great time! And yeah, they do make you feel more welcome.

Equating your personal priorities to changes in park attendance patterns seems quite the reach. How exactly do you demonstrate a common cause between your tipping point and mine, or the next guest's, and so on and so on? I understand having bitter feelings and thinking avoiding patronage will be a real thumb in their eye, but I think that's merely wishful thinking.

We've attended several events the past few weeks where a lot of the conversation inevitably turned to -- what have you guys been up to this summer? I've lost track of the number of times the topic of Disney came up -- and just as quickly turned to, we just decided not to book, we've decided never again, we've decided no for at least another five years. A couple even talked about having canceled reservations. This is a wide scope of ages, incomes, interests that we ran into at a wide range of different events. Smoking was never mentioned (probably 98% of them are not smokers anyway). I was surprised at how many people said they just didn't feel any excitement or interest in visiting Disney. I was really surprised at the families with kids in the 7-10 year old age range who mentioned the kids weren't super interested -- that seemed kind of impossible to me, but about 3 families mentioned their kids were meh on a Disney trip. That's something I never thought I'd hear.

ETA: Apparently this was the summer of "adventuring" type vacations. I heard a lot about backpack/canoe trips, trips with ziplining and big tire biking?, weeks horseback riding, backwoods camping, etc. I guess that sounds cool, as long as all I have to do is hear the stories and look at the pictures. Not my type of vacations.
Thanks. I fell asleep at ‘equating’

Huh. I am a smoker but never imagined that there would be any correlation between attendance being down and the ban on smoking. I guess its possible for at least a portion of the folks not attending.

I do know, that when we went to Orlando this summer, we were, at first, planning two days at Disney. Just couldn't justify the price AND the fact that dh may not be comfortable with the smoking ban (well, me too but him more than me as I am used to being places I can't smoke). So we stuck to Universal and Sea World and had a great time! And yeah, they do make you feel more welcome.
Many thanks. I don’t think we’re asking for much. Just a fair deal. I am pleased you had a great time. It was quite interesting that all the areas the anti smokers complained about at WDW were now completely empty. I thought the biggest killer was obsesity? Disney gonna stop selling cup cakes?

Disneyland Resort has always been by far my favourite. I would pick it any day over WDW. I especially like that you don't feel like a second class citizen just because you aren't staying on property there. I really dislike WDW's treatment of offsite guests when it comes to Fastpass, etc. And you're right, many of Disneyland's versions of rides are superior.

I am an adult (who never goes with children) and I absolutely hate WDW's fastpass system. It only works for people staying on property (and even then, I would still hate it). I hate the level of planning ahead WDW wants everyone to do. I'll take DL and making my plans on the day of over WDW any time.

Being on a Disney message boards I'm surprised at how negative so many posters are regarding the parks.
We love Disney and still go every second year.
But we use Air Miles for passes, stay in a value resort and mostly eat QS so not priced out yet.

Many of us are "negative" because we remember how much better it used to be. Disney is a huge company, and people should be free to criticize their policies.

Depends where you live. I’m out east now, and I get a ton of WDW adverts. When I was back west, I got a lot for DL.

What’s nice about DL is the overlay they do to the Haunted Mansion for Halloween. I also like Pirates better out west.

Pirates is miles better. Space Mountain is also far better. Several rides simply don't exist at MK. Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter