Interesting security at LAS yesterday...

DaretoDis

Mouseketeer
We left Las Vegas yesterday morning and encountered a very interesting new TSA security procedure. Upon entry to the security area, there was a large open area where passengers stood to the outside, and an agent with a dog circled the open area and after he...the agent...was satisfied, we were allowed to continue to the scanners. All lanes were TSA precheck so we just zipped through.

Probably some experiment, but interesting.

We experienced a similar situation last December at IAD. The TSA pre-check lines were closed with everyone funneled through the regular screening section with the dogs checking all passengers before the scanners. All passengers were treated as TSA pre-check so that portion of the procedures went relatively quickly.

It was probably a drug dog, same experience over 2 years ago in Vegas, they have the open area becuase most dogs are taught to sit as a postive response to whatever they are trained to detect so they need an area to move around in. They used to teach them to scratch at whenever they detected something but people were getting hurt with the claws. Was pretty funny when we saw this as the dog walked up to a guy and sat, then he got whisked away while the TSA and airport police were taking a big bag of green stuff away from him.

I experienced something similar at MCO. The dog went up and down a certain part of the security line. We then got to keep our shoes on and only had to go through the metal detector. It wasn't Pre Check but because we passed by the dog we were treated like pre check. At first we were confused when the woman told us we could keep our shoes on and pointed us to the metal detector, she said it was because we went by the dog.

It was probably a drug dog, same experience over 2 years ago in Vegas, they have the open area becuase most dogs are taught to sit as a postive response to whatever they are trained to detect so they need an area to move around in. They used to teach them to scratch at whenever they detected something but people were getting hurt with the claws. Was pretty funny when we saw this as the dog walked up to a guy and sat, then he got whisked away while the TSA and airport police were taking a big bag of green stuff away from him.
TSA doesn't care about drugs. It was probably a dog trained to sniff explosives.

I experienced something similar at MCO. The dog went up and down a certain part of the security line. We then got to keep our shoes on and only had to go through the metal detector. It wasn't Pre Check but because we passed by the dog we were treated like pre check. At first we were confused when the woman told us we could keep our shoes on and pointed us to the metal detector, she said it was because we went by the dog.

That would be so awesome. Think of how much less invasive and more efficient security would be if they used that more often.

That would be so awesome. Think of how much less invasive and more efficient security would be if they used that more often.

Yup. It was awesome. We moved through security much faster too. The dog was roped off in a rectangular area inside the line. The handler just walked it up and down in the rectangle while the line moved around. You could see the dog was sniffing everyone and their bags but it all just happened with the regular flow of the line. I usually fly out of MCO a few times per year but have only seen the dog once.

I had this happen in Atlanta last summer. Loved it and hoped it was here to stay, but only happened once out of several flights since then.

Same thing in Seattle. It's only sometimes, and not sure how they decide when to do it, but obviously it's a lot nicer when they do it.

Happened to me at JFK for my Barcelona flight...we did not stand in one area but they had a dog and agent walking up and down the line of people waiting for screening. The dog was sniffing all the carry ons.

MJ

I wouldn't say that the TSA doesn't care about drugs, more that it's just not their top priority. Have an obvious bag of doob in your carry-on and, at the very least, it's going to get confiscated. Although I hear that if you're flying from one legal pot state to another (viz, you're flying from Portland to Denver, for example), they'll generally look the other way at less than an ounce or so. (WARNING: Do not try this at home.)

Also, doob probably stinks up the plane something fierce, so out of courtesy to your other passengers, check it or something.

Anyway, those dogs are probably looking for explosives, and if they catch drugs too, well, an extra biscuit for them.

I often wonder are they so well trained that if they smell your packed at home turkey sandwich in your carry on would they respond to that or ignore it?

TSA doesn't care about drugs. It was probably a dog trained to sniff explosives.
Well I know a thing or two about trained service dogs so......
Why would you think that it wouldn't be a drug dog, now a days with the screening process unless it is a package of explosives left some where in the building, they have other more sensitive machines that you only need to pass by and it will detect explosives. Next time you go through screening look for the agent standing next to a machine near the front of the screening line, thats a explosive detector, you simply put a finger or hand down on the device or sometimes they wipe your hand and the machine does what it does and it can detect minuscule amounts of explosives.
Also, why wouldn't they care about drugs, if there are people out of control on a plane, that would make them care.
Also dogs can be cross trained for both drugs and explosives, just like apprehension dogs are cross trained for drugs also for police departments. I would fear that someone with Meth or cocaine that either takes it on a plane or accidentally injested it or contaminates someone else with it would get the TSA's attention pretty quick.

Why would you think that it wouldn't be a drug dog, now a days with the screening process unless it is a package of explosives left some where in the building, they have other more sensitive machines that you only need to pass by and it will detect explosives. Next time you go through screening look for the agent standing next to a machine near the front of the screening line, thats a explosive detector, you simply put a finger or hand down on the device or sometimes they wipe your hand and the machine does what it does and it can detect minuscule amounts of explosives.
Also, why wouldn't they care about drugs, if there are people out of control on a plane, that would make them care.
Also dogs can be cross trained for both drugs and explosives, just like apprehension dogs are cross trained for drugs also for police departments. I would fear that someone with Meth or cocaine that either takes it on a plane or accidentally injested it or contaminates someone else with it would get the TSA's attention pretty quick.
Again, I don't fly often, but I've never seen a hand scanner used, much less regularly. And if this machine is so good, there would be zero need for patdowns.

I also don't think dogs are trained for drugs AND explosives.

The TSA is primarily going to focus on items/individuals who are going to try to bring a plane down. While someone under the influence could be an issue, I don't think that's their primary concern.

What is your profession i might ask that you know so much about this(not trying to sound condescending which is hard through a keyboard) about detection dogs or the TSA. TSA has fruit and vegetable dogs, explosive and drugs, there are others that are crowd control and apprehension. The dog is trained on what scent or scents it should detect. But, what do I know....... As I said it was a drug dog i saw in vegas as the handler approached me after because I laughed when it gave its passive response of sitting when he sniffed this guys bag. He asked me how i knew and I told him my background.

What is your profession i might ask that you know so much about this(not trying to sound condescending which is hard through a keyboard) about detection dogs or the TSA. TSA has fruit and vegetable dogs, explosive and drugs, there are others that are crowd control and apprehension. The dog is trained on what scent or scents it should detect. But, what do I know....... As I said it was a drug dog i saw in vegas as the handler approached me after because I laughed when it gave its passive response of sitting when he sniffed this guys bag. He asked me how i knew and I told him my background.

Just as a matter of logic, I agree with the PP that TSA is going to be more interested in explosives than drugs. I just think that they only get so much time and opportunity for screening, and explosives are substantially more dangerous to fellow passengers.

The dog I passed in Orlando wasn't a drug dog. When you go through security and have to take off your shoes, coat, and go through the scanner, it's not because they are looking for drugs.
Never once have I had to put my hand on any machine, never has anyone I've ever travelled with. I have had my hands wiped with a cotton swab and that put into a machine to look for explosives. That's always been after the scanner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter