International Fee when pre purchasing photo package online

mammacaryn

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone. I noticed today there is a "warning" that your credit card may charge you an international fee when you pre purchase the cruise photos since the company is in Cayman Islands even though the currency is USD. So if you have pre purchased your photo package online, have you had this happen to you? And if you have what bank branch was your card with?

Thanks!

There's a LOT of different credit cards out there. Some charge fees and others don't. I'm not even sure it's as cut-and-dry as which financial institution issues the card. I know the Chase Disney Visa has a fee for international charges, but I believe there are other Chase cards that don't. You should check with your own credit card account to be sure.

Enjoy your cruise!

There's a LOT of different credit cards out there. Some charge fees and others don't. I'm not even sure it's as cut-and-dry as which financial institution issues the card. I know the Chase Disney Visa has a fee for international charges, but I believe there are other Chase cards that don't. You should check with your own credit card account to be sure.

Enjoy your cruise!

Yes, I am aware of this and do know which of my cards carry this rate. I am more curious if anyone has actually been charged the rate when preordering this package since I know many on this page have indeed preordered it. It is worded on the site in a way that they may just be covering their butt just in case it happens. I would like to know if it has ever happened to anyone.
thanks.

Last edited:

We were charged a fee, but we now use a card that doesn't charge an international free.

Last edited:
The vendor doesn't control whether the fee is charged. It's the financial institution who charges. It's kind of the vendor to inform customers they may incur a fee, but it isn't something the vendor "may or may not" charge.

If you have a card with fees for international charges, expect to be charged the fee outline in the account agreement. If you have a card with no fees, you might want to use that.

Enjoy your cruise!

The vendor doesn't control whether the fee is charged. It's the financial institution who charges. It's kind of the vendor to inform customers they may incur a fee, but it isn't something the vendor "may or may not" charge.

If you have a card with fees for international charges, expect to be charged the fee outline in the account agreement. If you have a card with no fees, you might want to use that.

Enjoy your cruise!

I understand, again,I was just wondering who has actually been charged. (by their bank of course not by the company)

I have used a single card in the past that does carry a fee, and NOT been charged a fee at every shop I used it at. So, even though the bank states they charge a fee, there are places it doesn't happen. Since this is US currency, I'm sure there are cards out there that generally charge a fee but in this instance may not.

Thanks to the others that have answered my question.

88 BUCKS, holy cow! I think I'd can that company :) I will either have to pay a dollar something or 3 dollars and change if I was to get charged the fee.

Some people may not read the details or even know about international fees so I thought this could be helpful that way as well.

Since this is US currency, I'm sure there are cards out there that generally charge a fee but in this instance may not

Ther are a couple of subtleties here. For one, some banks charge a fee for non-USD transactions, while others charge for "international transactions" even if they are in USD. So in addition to whether or not there's a fee and what the amount is, you have to read the fine print to see if a "foreign USD charge" has a fee.

Also, there's the issue that's particular to The Bahamas: the Bahamian Dollar trades at a fixed exchange rage of BSD 1.00 = USD 1.00. This makes it easy when paying USD cash in The Bahamas, as it would be hard for a merchant to get away with padding the exchange rate. But a credit card transaction could be done in either BSD or USD for what appears to be exactly the same amount, and the currency used may or may not affect whether there's a service charge as per the above.

Last edited:
Fairwinds Credit Union charged me a 2% "Foreign Transaction Fee" for my pre purchase of Cruise Photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter