International Gateway Post Gondolas

wendy1974

DIS Veteran
We are staying at the Boardwalk for the first time in September and I'm excited to be able to walk to Epcot! I'm assuming at the rate they're testing that the gondolas will be up and running by then which kind of has me wondering about the amount of people going through the IG compared to the ease you have now entering. If I remember correctly there are only a small number of lines available to enter. Does anyone know if they have a plan or are expanding the line capacity through IG? Last time I was there November 2018 I don't remember seeing any work going on in that area.

Does anyone know if they have a plan or are expanding the line capacity through IG?
They are currently working on the IG entrance to add some additional capacity. They are limited as to what they can add due to space.

I expect the IG to be much more crowded once the Gondolas are working. I don't think they have enough space to really add a lot more lines. It will be interesting to see how it is in October when wer are there.

I'll have to pay attention to this, we're there Oct 28 - Nov 6 at BW and always use the IG. As I'm remembering it, never had to think of this before, the actual security area is pretty much in a bottleneck. If they move the whole shebang back near the Guest Services kiosks they'd have more room.

Bill From PA

I think it will decrease the appeal of the boardwalk resorts, and I say that as a BC regular. Of course, you will still be just a few minutes' walk away but I have never waited more than 60 seconds to get through the Epcot IG entrance. I can see that greatly increasing with the gondolas and when you're paying the high prices of BWI/BC/YC, every "downgrade" makes me reconsider whether the price is worth it.

This is has always been a concern of mine regarding the gondolas. Our last trip was end of August 2017 - overall crowds weren't too bad - but do remember one morning there was a LONG line at IG at park opening. Hoping they find some good solutions.

I think Gondola riders will go through security when they get on the gondolas, so only the entrance tapstiles should have the increased traffic. I'm expecting lines to be longer, but I don't think it will be terrible. If I'm wrong about security, I can see that area becoming quite crowded.

All gondola stations are outside of the security bubble.
Oh, wow! I haven't followed the progress (afraid of heights- never getting on one), but shortly after construction started an AoA cast member said they would be like the monorail resorts where you'd go through security there and get dumped out inside the bubble. Beach Club is my favorite resort and EPCOT is my favorite park, so that's definitely disappointing.

They are expanding the IG turnstile area back into the Park along the water across from World Traveler.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/photos-new-construction-walls-appear-at-international-gateway-in-epcot/

internationalgateway2-26-19-9-1200x800.jpg

I don't think the strategy in regards to timing will change at all....arrive at or before 8:25 and you're good to go.

Oh, wow! I haven't followed the progress (afraid of heights- never getting on one), but shortly after construction started an AoA cast member said they would be like the monorail resorts where you'd go through security there and get dumped out inside the bubble. Beach Club is my favorite resort and EPCOT is my favorite park, so that's definitely disappointing.

I'm thinking it won't be too bad. It's not a huge influx of people at one time, it's a constant flow. Perhaps at opening there may be a bottleneck, but throughout the rest of the day I think the walk to and from Epcot hotels will still be awesome. :)

The good thing about the Skyliner is it’s like a constant flow rather than a huge influx at once with a bus. So yes there will be an increase in people but it won’t be huge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter