International Market Place

Porsche4

Mouseketeer
Just wondering if anyone knows. Many years ago the International Market Place in Waikiki had a whole lot of little stalls in it where people would sell their local souvenirs but I have read somewhere that this has now just been turned into a high end shopping mall. Anyone know if this is true and if so where can you go now to get that same market stall vibe of local souvenirs.

The International Marketplace... that's definitely going back some years. I used to have fun going there with my grandparents when they had a place in Hilton Hawaiian Village. There may be some places still in the HHV that have some of those shops but over the past 20 years everything has really just become generic Chinese import stuff. The ABC store is probably going to have 80-90% of what's available.

The International Marketplace... that's definitely going back some years. I used to have fun going there with my grandparents when they had a place in Hilton Hawaiian Village. There may be some places still in the HHV that have some of those shops but over the past 20 years everything has really just become generic Chinese import stuff. The ABC store is probably going to have 80-90% of what's available.
Its funny because it doesn't feel like it was that long ago but when I think back my last trip to Hawaii was actually in 2009. Gosh that was years ago, I truly hadn't realised it was that far back. Guess I will notice a change when we go next year. Looking forward to having a few days there on our way from Australia to San Francisco and then DL for a week. Should be good fun.

On our visit in Mar 2022 there was an area just a block away from the IMP that had multiple stalls filled with the locals ware
Thanks for that, I looked it up and have found where the stall holders have all moved to so I will check that out when we are there. I know a lot of the stuff is cheap trinkets but I always like ot come home with a little something to remind of where I have been and I know I will find something there that will pique my interest.

Yep - the locals have been moved to an alley. If you are standing at the front of the International Marketplace entrance, walk to your left and the alley will be on your right. Not as many local stands as there used to be but still options to support local venders. Plus, I can't afford that high end stuff!

Yep - the locals have been moved to an alley. If you are standing at the front of the International Marketplace entrance, walk to your left and the alley will be on your right. Not as many local stands as there used to be but still options to support local venders. Plus, I can't afford that high end stuff!
Thanks for the directions. Yes I know what you mean about not being able to afford the high end stuff. As this is part of a Disneyland Holiday I am trying to save money where I can. Also I think sometimes places lose sight of what makes them popular. The international market was sooo popular with tourists because they could get cheap trinkets and souvenirs which is what holidaymakers want. That demographic won't buy high end couture so they won't frequent the place which will eventually be its downfall as there are few who can afford such expensive and exclusive shops. Besides I can get all those labels and products back home here in Australia so why would I want to buy them overseas and lug them all the way home. When I am on holidays I want to buy local things that I won't see in our shopping centres. Just doesn't make sense. I am sad that this iconic place no longer exists in its popular form as it was a tourist attraction in itself and a shopping mall quite frankly just doesn't cut it.

IMC has been high end for years, this didn't just happen. And they are doing fine. A lot of international travelers go both there and tk Ala Moana for luxury goods.

Thanks for the directions. Yes I know what you mean about not being able to afford the high end stuff. As this is part of a Disneyland Holiday I am trying to save money where I can. Also I think sometimes places lose sight of what makes them popular. The international market was sooo popular with tourists because they could get cheap trinkets and souvenirs which is what holidaymakers want. That demographic won't buy high end couture so they won't frequent the place which will eventually be its downfall as there are few who can afford such expensive and exclusive shops. Besides I can get all those labels and products back home here in Australia so why would I want to buy them overseas and lug them all the way home. When I am on holidays I want to buy local things that I won't see in our shopping centres. Just doesn't make sense. I am sad that this iconic place no longer exists in its popular form as it was a tourist attraction in itself and a shopping mall quite frankly just doesn't cut it.
I kind of agree with you about the high-end, not-unique-to-Hawaii-stuff, but I totally disagree that IMC will do poorly because of this change. Clearly there are plenty of people frequenting the place - and buying stuff.

Just wondering if anyone knows. Many years ago the International Market Place in Waikiki had a whole lot of little stalls in it where people would sell their local souvenirs but I have read somewhere that this has now just been turned into a high end shopping mall. Anyone know if this is true and if so where can you go now to get that same market stall vibe of local souvenirs.
Aloha,
This is true. Yes the remodeled International Marketplace is NOTHING like it was prior. If you do like that vibe that it had, the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet is the place to checkout. It's open every W, Sat, and Sun from 7-3. Honestly, only if you're visiting Waikiki, it makes sense to visit. If not, Waikiki is what it is. A street that runs along the beach with high end stores. The food places are more at the beginning of Kalakaua Ave. nearest to Beachwalk. Places like Yard House, Giovanni Pastrami, Ruth Chris are practically the only places worth visiting for locals. Maybe the Cheesecake Factory as well but parking and the crowd will be a hassle, but again...it's Waikiki. Enjoy!

Dukes Lane next to the Beachcomber is the smaller version of the original IMP. Still fun, remember these phrases, whats your best price?, or why so much?

Dukes Lane next to the Beachcomber is the smaller version of the original IMP. Still fun, remember these phrases, whats your best price?, or why so much?
Thanks for the tips. I am a great haggler at getting a good price. I don't like people who expect ridiculous discounts because lets face it the trader has to make some money, but if you go in with a cheery smile and a willingness to chat and enjoy a joke bartering can be fun. I often get a great deal, particularly in antique shops which is my passion. We are going to visit the Old Towne shopping precinct near Disneyland on one of our non park days which I am really looking forward to. Never know what I might come home with from there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter