International Owners Expiring Point Extensions

The extension is only really helpful to those with 2019 banked points though. They need to think about 2020's points too. Borders are still closed and many international visitors can't travel before may 2022. I do feel like they have set a precedent now by extending 2019's by an extra year that they should do the same for 2020 when people really couldn't travel! Just my 2 cents worth...... Thinking out loud. Thanks
They are extending my 2020 points (Feb use year). We are hoping to travel March 2022 so I have made a reservation that includes some Feb 2022 points . When my next use year starts I’m hoping to call and have them swap some “good points” out with the expiring ones. If I can’t do that the extension isn’t any good to me. But it’s better than nothing.

They are extending my 2020 points (Feb use year). We are hoping to travel March 2022 so I have made a reservation that includes some Feb 2022 points . When my next use year starts I’m hoping to call and have them swap some “good points” out with the expiring ones. If I can’t do that the extension isn’t any good to me. But it’s better than nothing.

Your situation is an example of case by case and I think it is more about that they will extend until May 2022 so it’s good for you since going in March!

Last year, people had to call to use the points. You may need to do that.
Thanks, I have called a few times as I keep being told something different to when they’ll transfer. I’ll try again tomorrow as they said 7 - 10 days post UY on the last call.

Last edited:

Thank you! I checked this morning, but there wasn’t anything. I have now managed to book the rest of my stay.

How long did it take to receive your extended points?
I put in a request to extend my points, but I have Feb UY, and will be able to know only next year. Member services told me the extended points would probably show as Riviera points with June 2021 UY.
I was planning to ask them to rearrange my points next year to use the extended points first, but I made my March reservations using the home resort priority (BCV) and now I'm wondering if they will be able to use Riviera points on this reservation...

My understanding is the points are automatically moved over within 10 days from your existing use year starting.

As that gives you little time to use them, I would suggest you contact MS to check.

How long did it take to receive your extended points?
I put in a request to extend my points, but I have Feb UY, and will be able to know only next year. Member services told me the extended points would probably show as Riviera points with June 2021 UY.
I was planning to ask them to rearrange my points next year to use the extended points first, but I made my March reservations using the home resort priority (BCV) and now I'm wondering if they will be able to use Riviera points on this reservation...

Tho extension does not happen until about 5 to 7 days after the expiration of your own points.

What DVC is doing is giving owners points owned by them to owners for free and not extending your own real points.

Since they can’t take your actual points from you, they must expire first. That means you can’t use them until after you are given the extended once which with a Feb UY, means the first week of Feb.

You may have trouble with replace BCV with what they give you as extended points if what you get is RIV points. You’ll have to just reach out to MS then.

The issue got could have is that the extension is for points that would expire prior to that end of May date. Any points you are using for a March trip won’t so not sure which points need extending? Unless you have some that will before February that you want to swap into the March teip?

Checking is to see whether any international owners that have had their extensions come thru have successfully swapped out “good” points for “extended” points? I have an Oct UY, so will get my extended points the first week of Oct. I have already booked trips for Nov, Dec, Jan and March with 2021 points. The plan is to swap in the extended points once they are available and bank the 2021 points. When I originally called about the extension, MS said I would be able to do this (as long as the reservations are booked under the same membership number as the extended points). Just looking for some real world verification.

Anyone with Sep UY in this situation see their extended points on their account?

Please post back.

Also if you're able to use these points to switch current reservations, please post your experience.

Thanks!

Anyone with Sep UY in this situation see their extended points on their account?

Please post back.

Also if you're able to use these points to switch current reservations, please post your experience.

Thanks!
I just got off the phone with MS and the Sept UY extensions are in process....they said the holiday would probably cause a slight delay. I already had some August UY points extended and they came through as June UY Riviera Pts (I had AKV being extended). I was able to put them into an existing reservation however I only tried doing that with a reservation that was made inside of 7 months so I don't know if they would be able to move points around into reservations made in the home booking window.

I just got off the phone with MS and the Sept UY extensions are in process....they said the holiday would probably cause a slight delay. I already had some August UY points extended and they came through as June UY Riviera Pts (I had AKV being extended). I was able to put them into an existing reservation however I only tried doing that with a reservation that was made inside of 7 months so I don't know if they would be able to move points around into reservations made in the home booking window.

Thanks for your post. It helps a lot.

I will be trying to move the extended points to a current reservation. I have reservations with 11 mths and 7 mths so I inquire as to which booking I can switch using extended points.

This was a super helpful thread! We have Aulani booked for December with points from a cancelled May 2020 vacation that used 2019 points. We had to jump through hoops to get that done and they still told me my only option at the time was to convert some to RCI - they refused to extend them all.

Now Hawaii is implementing a vaccine passport but they are not recognizing vaccines administered outside the US (even though they are the exact same vaccines…). Aulani isn’t in the pilot group of hotels, but if their hand is forced, they’ll have to cancel all reservations held by non-US residents. Ugh.

I was just on the phone moving things around with some more extended points that came through today. MS is in fact able to reallocate the extended points into existing reservations that had been made at the 11 month mark. I have an AKV Value 2BR booked at 11 months for January and even though the temp account is with Riviera points the CM was able to reallocate those points into that reservation. The CM seemed surprised but it worked.

I was just on the phone moving things around with some more extended points that came through today. MS is in fact able to reallocate the extended points into existing reservations that had been made at the 11 month mark. I have an AKV Value 2BR booked at 11 months for January and even though the temp account is with Riviera points the CM was able to reallocate those points into that reservation. The CM seemed surprised but it worked.

Thanks for posting!

So...just to confirm. Is the extended points showing on your online account or is it only shown on the CM's system?

Thanks for posting!

So...just to confirm. Is the extended points showing on your online account or is it only shown on the CM's system?
Extended points show up online. What they do is create a temporary account within your membership. Both of mine have shown as Riviera points with a June UY so they will expire end of May. Sept UY extension just showed up today.

Extended points show up online. What they do is create a temporary account within your membership. Both of mine have shown as Riviera points with a June UY so they will expire end of May. Sept UY extension just showed up today.

Thanks so much! It really helps to know how it works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter