International Seller Delayed Closing?

I don't know. I'm just speaking of the legal aspects of this; your personal experience may vary. Just because someone accepted your Canadian notarized document doesn't make it suddenly legal. In my case, and in the case of the OP I believe, the entity requiring the notarization is aware of the legal requirements and is requiring the document to be notarized at a U.S. embassy or consulate in Canada. That is what the law requires. Perhaps the recipients of your documents were not aware of the legalities of notarizing documents in Canada?
The recipients were DVC and US banks so I doubt that they were unaware.

The recipients were DVC and US banks so I doubt that they were unaware.

To close the loop on this, you were right! I was misremembering what had happened with my past purchases -- it was apparently a State of Hawaii requirement that I get the purchase documents signed at the US consulate. I didn't have to do it with my WDW DVC purchases. I just sold one of my BLT contacts and a lowly Ontario notary was all that I needed!

To close the loop on this, you were right! I was misremembering what had happened with my past purchases -- it was apparently a State of Hawaii requirement that I get the purchase documents signed at the US consulate. I didn't have to do it with my WDW DVC purchases. I just sold one of my BLT contacts and a lowly Ontario notary was all that I needed!
Thanks for the follow up! I so rarely get to hear those lovely words, “You were right...” :joker:

Congrats on the sale!!!

Only certain closing companies ask for the authentication/apostille after a document has been notarized (Canadian owner). This is why we keep hearing such conflicting stories on these boards.

I have sold twice with two different closing companies. The first time I simply got my documents notarized. Easy. Done. Not a ton of money or any delays at all.

And obviously many are still just doing that simple step, no need for delays.

Magic Vacation Title will only work with the second step - authentication. Or a way to get around it - US Embassy/Consulate or using a US notary.

I can see if you live in a more remote area why there would be delays with this closing company/requirements - second step or travelling. Especially with work restrictions.

I had no time issue as I had many options around me. Ie. I was just as quick as any seller.

---------------

So Canadian sellers research the closing companies' requirements for ease. And to save money.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter