• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

International travel restrictions

Doug Ford said today he hopes the borders stays closed til we have better screening for people coming into our country.

I agree with this. I hope the border stays closed until either the US has much fewer cases or testing is to the point where they can test everyone entering Canada. Just having a mandatory quarantine is not going to work because so many people would ignore it. Many people ignored it before and they will continue to do so.

I am actually more concerned with the 14-day quarantine issue as I need to return to work within a week after the trip. I booked renting DVC points, so there’s another problem to consider. If I can’t cancel my DVC bookings and cross border travel is open without the self quarantine requirement, I may still go even if there’s less Christmas stuff to do. But do I really want to risk this when there’s no vaccine out yet? My first time renting DVC points and here comes COVID-19. I just have to keep praying!
We're in the same boat. I could have written this post word for word. I'm just waiting with baited breath. Hopefully things will be clearer by the fall.

I would love to see testing expanded to every person entering the country. Then you wouldn’t have to quarantine when returning from vacation if you tested negative. I think this would help to stimulate the economy and travel industry. If Florida was doing a good job of containment and cases were low I would be more likely to go in the fall or winter knowing that I could be tested upon reentry.

If we have to quarantine either way, I won’t travel until something changes. I couldn’t afford to take an additional two weeks off.
If we look at the economic damage this is causing, it’s obvious we need our tourists and tourism industry, and testing all who cross the border could really help.

Today it was announced that we currently have the highest unemployment rate since the Great Depression in both Canada and the USA. We need to do what we can to slow this virus and be safe.. but we also need to stimulate this economy quickly or we have twice the trouble .

I would love to see testing expanded to every person entering the country. Then you wouldn’t have to quarantine when returning from vacation if you tested negative.

Just because someone tests negative at the time of crossing the border, doesn’t mean they couldn’t test positive the next day or week after.

I understand what you’re saying but I don’t think passing one test at the border clears everyone.

Just because someone tests negative at the time of crossing the border, doesn’t mean they couldn’t test positive the next day or week after.

I understand what you’re saying but I don’t think passing one test at the border clears everyone.
According to the Harvard website it is still unknown how long after exposure one would test positive. I’m unable to find anything indicating otherwise. Even if asymptomatic you would test positive. So I‘m hopeful that mandatory testing would greatly reduce transmission and risk while still allowing our borders to open. Hopefully we will know more soon.

The long term damage to our economy is starting to frighten me for our citizens as much as the impact of this virus. There doesn’t seem to be any easy answers. :sad2:

According to the Harvard website it is still unknown how long after exposure one would test positive. I’m unable to find anything indicating otherwise. Even if asymptomatic you would test positive. So I‘m hopeful that mandatory testing would greatly reduce transmission and risk while still allowing our borders to open. Hopefully we will know more soon.

The long term damage to our economy is starting to frighten me for our citizens as much as the impact of this virus. There doesn’t seem to be any easy answers. :sad2:

Unfortunately, it’s going to take many, many years for economic recovery but that’s also why it’s so important to be extra cautious now. Otherwise, the efforts and debt accumulation of the last couple of months will have been for nothing. We have one chance to get this right. I agree, there are no easy answers. Stay positive as best you can.

Just trying to work this out. I am a Boomer, one of the younger Boomers, but still. The issue of 14 days in quarantine when leaving/returning to Canada doesn’t worry me at all. It’s just a financial hit — 14 days in a hotel or somewhere when I leave Canada, and staying home, for a change, on return. What worries me is the comparative laxness of some states towards both staying at home and social distancing; that would be you, Florida! So, as a member of an at-risk group, why on earth would I go there at all? Thinking if all Canadian Boomers give Florida a pass this year, their economy will continue to tank into 2021.

So as part of the lifting of restrictions phases in BC, the film and tv industry here will be given the green light to resume productions in late June/early July (domestic productions first, international ones later in the summer). But how are film crews, actors etc supposed to come back to BC if the borders are closed (deem their travel essential I suppose) and with the 14 day mandatory quarantine in place...they need to come back two weeks early to quarantine? What if you have actors who are just guest stars, maybe they are only going to be on set for 2 or 3 days...they still need to set aside up to 3 weeks for this.

@bcwife76 I'd be contacting reporters asking them to get answers to these question at the briefings. Would be interesting to see about the quaratining...
There's definitely been news reports circulating around this since he made the announcement a few days ago. He wants the border to remain closed but he wants film and tv production to begin again. He can't have it both ways. Can't have your cake and eat it too Premier Horgan :sad2:

Just trying to work this out. I am a Boomer, one of the younger Boomers, but still. The issue of 14 days in quarantine when leaving/returning to Canada doesn’t worry me at all. It’s just a financial hit — 14 days in a hotel or somewhere when I leave Canada, and staying home, for a change, on return. What worries me is the comparative laxness of some states towards both staying at home and social distancing; that would be you, Florida! So, as a member of an at-risk group, why on earth would I go there at all? Thinking if all Canadian Boomers give Florida a pass this year, their economy will continue to tank into 2021.
Ha ,,,lol..lol
You just made my day!!!
I Googled and guess what? I am a YOUNGER baby Boomer!!
Today I feel young and not old!
Hugs Hon!
Mel

@ilovetotravel1977 ok my husband says I'm wrong :rolleyes1 :sad2: that domestic production means 100% cast and crew are Canadian. So if that is the case it won't be a problem getting crew to work here. I guess the next hurdle would be when international production wants to ramp up later this summer, then the 14 day quarantine would be an issue obvs if it's still in place.

As much as I want everyone to be safe, I also really want the Supernatural series finale to be able to get filmed someday... :) I have to know how 15 years of Winchesters ends! So I am glad to read they are starting to get Vancouver production back on track, gives me hope it will be a proper ending instead of what some other shows have done, from ending early to doing the finale animated.

I do know TV is not the most important thing in the world, and am not suggesting anyone should be doing things that aren't safe.

Air Canada Vacation is getting back to flights to the Caribbean and Mexico starting in June. They must know something the public does not regarding the Canadian border.

I just did a mock booking for Riviera Maya from Halifax, and it connects in Toronto, then to Mexico.
Not just AC. I did a mock booking with WJ (air only) to Puerto Vallarta and Cabo for late August and yeah I could have booked it if I wanted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter