• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Internet plan just for Apple iMessages?

Angeliki19

DIS Veteran
Hi! This is our first 7 night cruise so I am looking into whether we need to budget for an internet package. On our previous 3-night cruises, we were able to get by with the "loophole" where our iPhones allowed us to message family at home without paying for wifi. But I have read that is hit or miss and never a guarantee. I am all for unplugging on vacation and do not care about googling, posting on social media, etc. But I would like to be able to check in with family (all have iPhones.)

I am not clear if the Stay Connected plan includes this ability? What does everyone recommend?

Thanks!

I always used this too but with my new IPhone 14 Pro wouldn’t let me do it last time. Not sure why when I could with my older phone before.

Hi! This is our first 7 night cruise so I am looking into whether we need to budget for an internet package. On our previous 3-night cruises, we were able to get by with the "loophole" where our iPhones allowed us to message family at home without paying for wifi. But I have read that is hit or miss and never a guarantee. I am all for unplugging on vacation and do not care about googling, posting on social media, etc. But I would like to be able to check in with family (all have iPhones.)

I am not clear if the Stay Connected plan includes this ability? What does everyone recommend?

Thanks!
I have an iphone 12, and the last two cruises (October on the Fantasy and January on the Dream), I didn't need a package for iMessage. Historically, I have had some issues though.

Also, if you have a good international plan (e.g., T-Mobile), you'll have full internet (minus calling) on Castaway, among other islands.

I have an iphone 12, and the last two cruises (October on the Fantasy and January on the Dream), I didn't need a package for iMessage. Historically, I have had some issues though.

Also, if you have a good international plan (e.g., T-Mobile), you'll have full internet (minus calling) on Castaway, among other islands.
This was my experience too -- iMessages mostly worked last January (Fantasy) and September (Dream) with my iPhone SE. I could send and recieve texts, though I couldn't access any images. Whenever we were in port, I had internet access through T-Mobile after turning off Airplane Mode.

I would see whether iMessage is working for you onboard before buying an internet plan.

Your other option is to use WhatsApp - it works excellently on the free ship Wifi and doesn’t have the same connection issues as iMessage. Still can’t send or receive photos though.

I use my SE model. Haven’t bought a Disney internet plan on years - or ever? We also use it for communicating among us while on the ship.

I would also load WhatsApp before you go. And figure out how to use it beforehand.

If you do need to purchase internet, look for a by the minute plan.

We were on the Fantasy in January and had one of our phones stop working with iMessage. Basically, the phone logged out and could not re-establish its connection with Apple to verify the Apple ID. We went to customer service and they gave us a free code valid for 45 minutes to use the internet to reconnect. Took 15 seconds to fix and we surfed the web for the other 44 3/4 minutes.

Sailed in December 2023. My iPhone SE (2nd gen) stopped working for iMessage on the 5th day. Brought my old iPhone 7 (no SIM card) and it worked for the rest of the cruise. Used Verizon $10 a day on Port days. If you have any old iPhones, I’d bring one just in case?

I got rid of What’s App after Meta Facebook bought it.

We were on the Fantasy in January and had one of our phones stop working with iMessage. Basically, the phone logged out and could not re-establish its connection with Apple to verify the Apple ID. We went to customer service and they gave us a free code valid for 45 minutes to use the internet to reconnect. Took 15 seconds to fix and we surfed the web for the other 44 3/4 minutes.
Yes, that seems to happen somewhat randomly. Once a device is logged out of the Apple network, you need an internet connection to reconnect to your Apple ID account on that device. On a recent Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy, I was able to reconnect to my Apple ID account when we were in St. Thomas, since our AT&T cell plan worked there without an extra charge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter