Internet romance scam

Karin1984

DIS Veteran
Storytime / Anyone ever had this?
(TLDR: Probably met an online romance scammer, stopped it as soon as I figured it out)

About two months ago, I started following someone on Tiktok. Not a megastar, but someone with over a million followers. I like some videos, once in a while I comment. Nothing really remarkable to stand out among all the people following him. Just generic comments.

Last month I get a new follower on my own Tiktok account (which is fairly inactive), an account with this Tiktoker's name, but with an added 'private' to it. It's followed by a chat message, saying something like that I'm an amazing fan and thanking me for the support. The phrasing of this message seems a bit strange and automatic. And as mentioned, I didn't say or do anything to stand out among other fans. I conclude it's automated message and continue with my life.

Last week this Tiktok'er starts to pop up in my Facebook algorhythm. I leave a comment on a video here as well.
Yesterday an account with this Tiktoker's name likes the only (visible to the) public message on my Facebook timeline: "This is my current private account and I assure you. Private chat only with my serious and loyal fans
🥰
"

This morning at 8AM my time (and supposedly 7AM his time) I get another chat message. This time on Facebook messenger. It's similar in tone to the message I received on Tiktok, not identical, thanking me for being a fan. I answer along the line of "You're welcome". He then continues to ask my name and where I am from. And right after my answer (not giving the exact city I live in, but the closest big city), he asks me if I can be trusted with his personal e-mail address, because he wanted to continue to chat in Google Chat.

The question about his personal e-mail address is a bit weird, as I have only said 2 sentences to him (not counting the comments on videos), I think the switch to Google Chat is weird, but I reason: if he chats with a lot of fans over all kinds of platforms, I can imagine that he wants one platform for these interactions.

I do admit, I felt flattered. I am not very remarkable in real life. So, yes, being noticed by a handsome talented man... it's how romance novels and movies start. I'm from the Netherlands, this guy is from Ireland and I saw myself running through the Irish meadows in a flowy dress.

When I tell him I can be trusted, he asks for my e-mail address to use Google Chat. I do not give him my primary e-mail address, but my Gmail address which I do not use except to have access to some Google-applications.

When we have set up a Google Chat, his first question is: Married or single?
I'm a bit surprised by this question, as it seems out of character how he portrays himself in his videos, but let's answer and ask him the same question. No reply.

I have to run some errands, so I tell him I'll be back later if he has more questions. His tone of voice in general is unusual as well. His first chat messages are overly polite and 'humble', and while chatting his tone is not necessarily rude, it is commanding. And not how you would talk if you want to get to know someone. It doesn't match his tone in videos. And he doesn't use interpunction, but hey, not everyone cares about that.

While doing my errands, I conclude, while this Tiktok'er has a video about being a bit scared to talk to women..., he probably is surveying his fans for research. So let's put away the thoughts of running through Irish meadows and I decide just to answer his questions. I work in marketing, studying to get my Master's degree, if it comes up I'll offer my help how you can do better customer surveys and how to analyze your database.

When I'm back, he asks some more demographic questions (one of them if I own my house, which can still be a survey question, just not for his content/fans). I get a tad annoyed that he doesn't answer any counter questions. If this was a survey, he could have been more transparent about that and not giving me the feeling he wants to get to know me, as a person.

I decide to ask one specific question, something I know should trigger a response from the Tiktok'er. Recently he gushed in a video about Joaquin Phoenix' acting performance in the new film Napoleon. I asked what his other thoughts are on the movie. Thinking: There must be more he has to say besides this 60 second video. Men love to talk about themselves and their interests... He shouldn't be able to resist this.
All I get as an answer is a "It was great".

Hmmm...

He asks me my age, I give him a bracket, 30-39. Next "question": Send me a beautiful picture of you.

I tell him it's too soon for that, he has my social media handles, he can see my profile picture. It's taken last week. When he asks again, I tell him he is creepy, first question 'married or single' and next to ask for a picture? Not doing it.

He then makes a very strange remark that he treats everyone equally and doesn't discriminate.
Which totally doesn't match with the discussion, and besides that...
This is going to sound bad, but both me and this Tiktok'er are white and grew up in predominantly white countries. I am quite sure he and I are both very lucky that discrimination is not on our every day mind.

I tell him it's not about discrimination, just not comfortable with making pictures and sending them to strangers. The profile picture is good enough.

He continues his questionaire "Do you have kids?"

Now, I have another look at the Facebook profile and notice:
A. the account is empty, besides a profile and a header picture. Matching the official public account. A bit weird if this is your personal account.
B. The pictures are uploaded yesterday.
C. City of residence is listed as Port Harcourt. Capital of Nigeria.

And I start to realize... I'm talking to a Nigerian scammer. More and more puzzle pieces get into place.
I am not the type to send money to anyone, except family, so I don't think I would fall for an internet scam romance, but let's just be glad I was paying attention.

I do feel a bit stupid because I wanted to believe this was real.

I ask him: "How is the weather in Port Harcourt?"
After a pause his response is: "Where?"

Then continues with: Have you ever left the country?

And this was my final piece of evidence. This is a very non-European question. Where I am from, and probably it's the same in all small and most big Western European countries: it's very unlikely to never have travelled abroad. Drive 3 hours in any direction and you will end up in the next country. I know there are people with low incomes who have never been abroad. However, if you have a (good) job and are a homeowner in the Netherlands, which I had told him, I'm putting it at a 99,99% chance that you have travelled abroad. I'm going to guess it's the same for Ireland. Travel abroad is incredibly common here, you wouldn't ask it.

So, I tell him I am doing playing and if he wants to scam someone, he has to be smarter.
I block him on my social media platforms. And that's that.
I did unblock him on Facebook, because I forgot to take screenshots of everything here. And now I cannot block him again for 48 hours. And yes, he has sent me another chat message. This time just saying "Hello". Going to ignore that.

He also hasn't put two and two together that he also tried this with me on Tiktok.

The Tiktok'er has an agent, so I decide to send the agent the social media handles, if the agent wants to know more he can contact me on my Gmail address. Mainly sending it to the agent because I start to wonder if this Tiktok'ers website is real :P

Anyone here ever fell or almost fell for an internet romance scam?

No, not online. Unfortunately my scam artist was a face to face, multi-year deal, that ended up with him physically following me for years while not doing anything that was technically against the law. He walked that fine line very cleverly. That taught me to be cautious with everyone. I don’t participate in social media, other than the DIS, and keep most personal details here a little foggy around the edges.

I am glad you were able to figure it out before things went downhill. ::yes::

Not exactly. More of a Cyrano de Bergerac scheme. It was back before Facebook, when AOL messenger was king. I started talking to this guy who seemed like everything I ever wanted. Intelligent, well traveled, good tech job, very well spoken, lots of shared interests. Anyway, we chatted for about a year online and eventually over the phone, exchanged photos, all that. And eventually he decided to move across the country to be with me...well, not just to be with me, he had expressed a lot of interest in moving to FL for some time.

Anyway, so this guy shows up. And he's nice enough, and he does match the guy in the photos. But everything is just....off. He's not particularly well spoken. He does get a job pretty quickly, but it's in maintenance...nothing wrong with that, but what happened to tech? And it becomes clear fairly soon that we don't have a lot of interests in common and the move to FL is his first cross-country trip. He's never left the U.S. Okay, but what happened to well-traveled?

Fortunately he only stayed with me for about a week...he legitimately already had an apartment in the works, just needed a few days to get settled. So he moved and started his new job and we kept seeing each other, but I was getting more and more confused.

Then his very married brother came to visit. And wouldn't you know it, he checked every single box for the person I was getting to know for a year. Finally, over a bunch of drinks and with a bunch of prodding, he admitted the whole thing. The one who moved to FL was pretty introverted and hadn't really done much with his life. Brother thought the love a good woman could help bring him out of his shell. So brother made the connection and developed the relationship, including coaching the guy on exactly what to say on the phone. Both of them hoped that when he showed up in person, the relationship would work itself out.

I did end up staying friends with both of them for awhile. Neither seemed a bit malicious, and I could sort of understand why they did what they did. But in the end it was just too weird for me, and we ended up losing touch. I wonder if he ever did find the love he was looking for....

Sorry about your situation! I'm so glad you were able to catch it quickly before you got in any deeper!

I did end up staying friends with both of them for awhile. Neither seemed a bit malicious, and I could sort of understand why they did what they did. But in the end it was just too weird for me, and we ended up losing touch. I wonder if he ever did find the love he was looking for....
Ok, that story didn't end how I thought it would! Did you ever ask if they knew the story of Cyrano?

Last edited:

So glad you picked up on it before it was too late. These scams are increasing by the day it seems, and they're getting increasingly clever. There was someone on this board recently who (at least according to her story)....had a spouse who was a victim of "pig butchering". And, I just heard a podcast today on the WSJ about that scam. A woman who was Chinese American was scammed to the tune of 1.6 million....her family's life savings. I really just don't trust a soul on the internet anymore.....just too many scammers who are growing quite sophisticated.

I am a 57 year old fairly normal looking woman. I mean I'd like to think I'm well preserved but not worthy of admiration from many men. I literally have a catfish in my Facebook messages every day. The picture is usually a nice looking older gray headed man. They say hello and then begin to send messages about how beautiful I am, such a goddess, etc. So dumb. The grammar and vocab give away the fact they are not native English speakers. One said that God surely made me as the next woman after Eve bc I'm so perfect :rotfl2:. I usually just mess with them for a few messages and then say Good Try and block them. I feel terrible for people who actually get involved. My SIL's mother was catfished on Match.com and send the fake man money to help with bills and fix his boat so they could go on vacay together. She thought she was talking to a 75 year old Navy vet. He kept trying to get more money and sending texts and calling until my SIL convinced her to block him. So sad.

Oh, wow! That is crazy. There are so many scams out there, anything from purchasing dogs to romance scams. It is really awful when people fall for it.

Oh, wow! That is crazy. There are so many scams out there, anything from purchasing dogs to romance scams. It is really awful when people fall for it.
I like this Tiktok'er's content, but it's not that I would go send money to him if he asked me. I only know, judging by others who comment on his videos, there will be girls and women falling for this. He's part of booktok, so I can imagine a large part of his fanbase are introverted people who love stories, and would love to believe it's true what he was saying.

This scammer's targeting was good. On paper I'm broken enough to fall for a scam. And if he had been better at impersonating this Tiktok'er, it could have gone a lot further.

I like this Tiktok'er's content, but it's not that I would go send money to him if he asked me. I only know, judging by others who comment on his videos, there will be girls and women falling for this. He's part of booktok, so I can imagine a large part of his fanbase are introverted people who love stories, and would love to believe it's true what he was saying.

This scammer's targeting was good. On paper I'm broken enough to fall for a scam. And if he had been better at impersonating this Tiktok'er, it could have gone a lot further.
Whew! you dodged a bullet and so glad you saw thru the scam. My Mom has been targeted by scammers before and she is shrewd and will look at them crossed eyed so to speak and send them packin'

Keep posting things like this to get other Dis'ers opinions. As I have said before, we got your back. Seeing you are from the Netherlands and whether you are dutch or not, this coming from a USA dutch boy, last name ending in "stra". Grew up in a big dutch community in the Lynden, WA area and we don't kindly this to this kind of garbage. Feel free to PM me anytime if you choose.

Oh goodness, wow, that sounds like the classic Nigerian romance scam.

Theres a YouTube Channel which exposes all these Nigerian romance scams. https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishedOnline/videos

When you watch a few of their videos you see the same patterns. They target mainly Americans, both male and female, say they are overseas with The UN or a branch of the US Military, or on an oil rig or a famous person. They need money for flights, a new phone, to replace lost or stolen passport etc etc. They ask for money in giftcards or Bitcoin. They also never call a victim by name, the classic one is calling a female their queen. Using my queen, sweetie or other nicknames makes it easier for them, as they usually have multiple victims on the go at once and by using the same nicknames for all their victims means they dont have to remember victims names.

Many times the victim becomes a money mule, unknowing receiving payments from other victims.

There is also a Portuguese journalist Mariana van Zeller who has worked with National Geographic. On one of the series she did, Trafficked with Mariana Van Zeller Season 2 Episode 2 is all about romance scams. The full episode is on Disney + Europe on National Geographic section. She actually goes and talks to the people who do the romance scams and even films them talking to victims. Its insane how the romance scams work, how its all set up, how they digitally manipulate photos, voices and videos, how they work from scripts, how its even multiple people talking to a victim.

Last edited:
My mother is in her 90s and she's always getting messages from men who pretend to be ex-military who want to get to know her. After the first one where she communicated back and forth via messenger with the guy. He kept asking her to get a google email; thankfully she didn't. I now monitor her FB and removed the ability for people to see when she's online. I think that has cut down on the amount of scammers coming after her.

Is there a reason why they always ask their target to get a google email?

One of the strangest I read about was this woman that got caught up in a romance scam, the usual being enticed to send money with sob story after sob story about why they can't be together. In the end she was out about $200,000.

So, she decides to write a book warning others about internet romance scams. Some guy contacts her and says he wants to help her out with her book...and she gets scammed again by this guy! Except, this case was different instead of asking for money, he paid for her trip somewhere without her knowing he actually hid cocaine in the clothes he gave her and she was arrested I think in China for drug smuggling. He just used her as a mule. I guess for a scammer, paying someone's airfare is small potatoes for the millions of dollars are drugs you smuggle for them. I think she was held for about a year and may have been released.

Anyway, just so bizarre it happened to this same lady twice. Just goes to show how convincing some of these people must be.

One of the strangest I read about was this woman that got caught up in a romance scam, the usual being enticed to send money with sob story after sob story about why they can't be together. In the end she was out about $200,000.

So, she decides to write a book warning others about internet romance scams. Some guy contacts her and says he wants to help her out with her book...and she gets scammed again by this guy! Except, this case was different instead of asking for money, he paid for her trip somewhere without her knowing he actually hid cocaine in the clothes he gave her and she was arrested I think in China for drug smuggling. He just used her as a mule. I guess for a scammer, paying someone's airfare is small potatoes for the millions of dollars are drugs you smuggle for them. I think she was held for about a year and may have been released.

Anyway, just so bizarre it happened to this same lady twice. Just goes to show how convincing some of these people must be.
Or a very sad and cautionary tale of how lonely and vulnerable many people are. :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter