Interval International trading into a DVC

kenshinelite

Wannabe Imagineer
Hey, me and my fiance were gifted two weeks of elite status timeshares on interval International and we were wanting to trade them in for time at the Grand Californian and Aulani. So they have no availability but mentioned we could be put on a wait list. Are any of you familiar with going from other timeshares into DVC using interval International. Is it even worth being on the wait list. Do I even have a chance of booking these resorts?

Any experiences or information will be greatly appreciated.

Can't speak to Aulani, but my best guess is that you have a very, very small chance (if any at all), for the Grand Californian. I don't think DVC ever even deposits any to II from the Grand.

we were wanting to trade them in for time at the Grand Californian and Aulani.
You will not see VGC, barring a miracle. It is never deposited. You probably won't see Aulani. In the years I've been following (almost 15 now) Aulani has been deposited for exchange only a very small handful of times. Unlike some other systems, DVC controls which resorts/sizes/dates are deposited, and these two resorts don't go in. You can't exchange into what doesn't get deposited.

For a Disney theme park visit, you have a much better chance at one of the WDW resorts---and particularly SSR. If you are even moderately flexible with your dates and you have sufficient trade power, you'll get a match there. The resort quality (elite status) is only a small part of trade power. The other two components are unit size, and the demand during the time of year at that resort for those specific weeks you are hoping to trade.

For Hawaii, there are tons of awesome resorts not named Aulani, and most of them are on islands not named Oahu. (Oahu happens to be my fourth favorite island of the big four.) If these weeks you have been gifted are Marriott or Sheraton/Westin branded, then you have even better odds, because II uses an internal preference period for most new deposits, during which only other owners in those brands can secure an exchange. This preference period is several weeks long, and the high-demand inventory goes quickly. It's not impossible without being in-system---I grabbed a 1BR at a Marriott on Kauai for next July with an unbranded week---but it is hard. Even if your gifted weeks are unbranded, there are lots of "other" great resorts on the islands.

When DVC offer units to II, they are to resorts that are NOT in high demand. Not the top tier.
That is why VGC ( 50 units) and Aulani (HUGE demand) are not going to happen.

Disney Land area is possible.

Chance of an Aulani trade would be slim to none. If you want Oahu, put in an Interval ongoing search for Marriott’s KoOlina resort (it sits next door to Aulani). You could always walk over from Marriott to visit Aulani for a meal. I have been able to trade an unbranded 1 bedroom timeshare into a 1 bedroom Marriott KoOlina unit by placing an ongoing search with Interval ten months out. I requested lower demand months like early December and the month of May before Memorial Day. Grant it, it is easier to trade into Marriott with another Marriott because of the Marriott preference in Interval International.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter