Introducing Disney-Hating Grandparents to WDW/DCL?

MomOTwins

The Mommy Fairy
My parents DO NOT LIKE Disney, and have resisted joining us on any of our six Disney vacations to date, but have now finally agreed to go with us on our next Disney trip!!! I am so excited and can't wait to hopefully get them to see past their prejudices and finally enjoy some Disney magic with their grandkids. They have left all the itinerary/planning up to me, and I want them to have the best experience possible. They will definitely want the experience to be as high-end as possible, and we can pay for deluxe resorts at WDW and verandahs on the ship, although I don't think we can quite afford concierge.

But I am having a hard time deciding whether it would be better to do a land/sea vacation (a few days at Disney World followed by a 3 or 4 night cruise) or a 7-night cruise. On the one hand, I think they would enjoy the slower pace, excellent service, and "toned-down" Disney-theming of the cruise, especially since they do not really like theme park rides. On the other hand, the hotel rooms and pools at a WDW deluxe resort would definitely impress them more than those on the ships (they have never cruised so the small cabins and pools might be a bit of a shock), and they want to spend as much time with the grandkids as possible, so the kids clubs on the ship are a negative.

What would you do? Has anyone here had an experience introducing Disney skeptics to either the parks or DCL or both, and did you find they had a better reaction to one or the other?

The only experience I have had with introducing Disney skeptics to anything is a Disney cruise. It was my first time too, though I had always frequented the parks. My mom is NOT a fan of Disney but we wanted to do a vacation together with another friend of mine. She loves cruising but she thought the Disney element was very "in your face", from the music playing all day, the announcements, the movies etc. She said she would have liked it better had she had the ability to forget that it was Disney theme. I think that's something you have to think about. Is that going to drive your grandparents crazy? Because honestly, if someone isn't a fan then I don't think they are going to have fun on the cruise. Disney is EVERYWHERE on the ship. You can't avoid it.

You haven't mentioned their reason for disliking it and that may bring better advice. Do they think Disney is an "evil" corporation? Do they dislike the kid-like elements? Do they assume that it's all about movies and cartoons? It'd be helpful to know what makes them skeptical lol.

If it were me, I'd do the split cruise/ time at the parks. That way they can get the best of both worlds. If they don't like the cruise, maybe they would enjoy the parks or vice versa. Also, if they hate both at least maybe while you are all the parks, they have the ability to spend their time offsite or at the hotel pool etc. Whereas on the ship, they'd have no place to go but the room lol (this happened to my mom actually)

Hopefully they can put their dislike to the side and experience Disney! Because how can you decide if you love or hate something if you haven't tried it?:confused3 I hope they see the light. Then again, they may just not be Disney fans. It happens. It's not magical for everybody unfortunately. I hope they can focus on having fun with the grandkids and spending time with family.

My folks have zilch interest in Disney anything but they love cruises, so that would work for us. Actually, my mother is finally willing to consider coming with us to WDW and it's because of the Flower & Garden festival. Anything gardening or knitting will hook her. So maybe that's an angle to look at. They have several different kinds of festivals.

You haven't mentioned their reason for disliking it and that may bring better advice. Do they think Disney is an "evil" corporation? Do they dislike the kid-like elements? Do they assume that it's all about movies and cartoons? It'd be helpful to know what makes them skeptical lol.

Fair point - I should have said why, but I was just dodging it because I couldn't find a nice way to say it, and was kind of embarrassed, but the truth is my father is a little bit snobby and thinks Disney is kind of cheap/tacky--he thinks it is all frozen cheeseburgers, crowds of stereotypical "rude Americans" (he is from another country--his attitude is just mortifying to me, but I've tried to change his mind to no avail), and cartoonish decorations. He prefers to vacation in Europe or at resorts in the Caribbean. I would like to show him that he can still have nice accommodations, meals, and scenic surroundings in the Disney bubble. My mom doesn't have the same prejudices as him, but I think she thinks of Disney as really just for the kids and nothing for adults--so I am less worried about her coming around to it.

For those who aren't into Disney, I would think that a few days at WDW would be nothing short of slow agonizing torture. I mean, I love Disney and I still find WDW intolerable at times with the long days and tons of walking and crowds and lines. Amazing resorts don't make up for the fact that the main attractions (the parks) are busy, busy places. I love cruising, and I think DCL is a nice balance of some Disney without in your face Disney.

Honestly, I would not step foot in a Disney park with someone that doesn't enjoy Disney. I think you are just setting everyone up for failure. Looking back to when our son was little I can't even imagine what it would have been like trekking through the hot, crowded parks, standing in long lines and constantly worrying if the grandparents were happy (not that they would have hesitated to let us know if they weren't :rotfl2:). Just doesn't sound like my idea of a fun vacation.

As others have said, the ships aren't quite as in your face Disney as the parks. You can get away from it somewhat and leave the ship all together on port days. If you are insistent on a family vacation that includes Disney, I'd go with the ships, but I'd find a cruise with some great ports.

I can't relate as I am one Disney loving grandma!!! I LOVE taking my family and now the grandkids to WDW but most especially the "Mickey Boat". Three generations of our family are cruising later this month on the Magic.

Only advice I would add is that DO NOT GO IN THE SUMMER MONTHS. Go in early December, January or when schools are in session. Book nice restaurants at some Deluxe resorts like California Grill or somewhere at the Grand Floridian.

MJ

I agree with the general idea of just exposing them a little to Disney. A cruise is certainly less Disney-fied. Or, alternatively, you could just to to a WDW resort and stay at the hotel (not visiting the parks unless they seem to be interested). There are lots of themed resorts that would be interesting (Animal Kingdom comes to mind).

I can't relate as I am one Disney loving grandma!!! I LOVE taking my family and now the grandkids to WDW but most especially the "Mickey Boat". Three generations of our family are cruising later this month on the Magic.

Only advice I would add is that DO NOT GO IN THE SUMMER MONTHS. Go in early December, January or when schools are in session. Book nice restaurants at some Deluxe resorts like California Grill or somewhere at the Grand Floridian.

MJ
No Grands yet(hoping, now that eldest DS is married), but we ARE EXCITED about one day, being able to enjoy WDW with our grandkids and kids. Cruising is great also. Its all about making memories! Agree, 100%, take them in non summer months, non holiday time, slowest time to the year perhaps(if there is any such time any more). Why not to a split, 4 night cruise and 3 nights at WDW! Show them two fun vacas in one week! ENJOY whatever you decide. Nice that they can join you and share some "magic"!pixiedust::wizard:

Quite frankly I would be a bit skeptical of showing them the amazing resorts too. Don't get me wrong, I am fine with Disney in small doses (like my partner conference at work each year) but no way do I think the deluxe resorts are worth the rack rate compared to other hotels I have stayed at. I mean I would be very disappointed if I paid rack rates for the Grand Floridian, for example. The resort is fine, but not $550-$600 a night fine, especially when a person doesn't particularly appreciate/like/value the Disney touches or proximity to the parks.

If they also have true high end food expectations, your options are somewhat limited there as well.

This sounds much more negative than I mean it too, but part of what makes Disney special is that it is Disney. Take that out of equation and not always so much...

Based on your description I think a Disney European cruise would be your best bet. Plenty of time off the ship for Disney breaks, and you can enjoy the Disney service after a long day touring.

I agree with others that even as a Disney fan the Parks try me..even without American Tourist prejudice it is a hot, smelly, mass of people moving from place to place and line to line. I enjoy going but I already want to be there.

I agree with the PP too that the delux hotels really aren’t as “wow” as they should be for the price. Don’t get me wrong they are lovely, but at those prices you could be staying at some of the top resorts in the world. If I’m comparing a $500/$600 room I can get at DW against a $500 room in Europe or Asia I personally am disappointed in Disney (again that’s if I was only basing it off the room- the reason that room is worth the extra is tied to liking Disney).

Fair point - I should have said why, but I was just dodging it because I couldn't find a nice way to say it, and was kind of embarrassed, but the truth is my father is a little bit snobby and thinks Disney is kind of cheap/tacky--he thinks it is all frozen cheeseburgers, crowds of stereotypical "rude Americans" (he is from another country--his attitude is just mortifying to me, but I've tried to change his mind to no avail), and cartoonish decorations. He prefers to vacation in Europe or at resorts in the Caribbean. I would like to show him that he can still have nice accommodations, meals, and scenic surroundings in the Disney bubble. My mom doesn't have the same prejudices as him, but I think she thinks of Disney as really just for the kids and nothing for adults--so I am less worried about her coming around to it.

Disney World has a lot of nice restaurants people don't realize are there...Citricos, Narcoosee's, California Grill, Flying Fish, and there are more. They may be more impressive than the normal dinners on the cruise.

The trip sounds like it would be wasted on them, frankly. I hope it turns out otherwise, but I can't recommend paying Disney prices on behalf of someone dismissive (or worse, encouraging someone dismissive to pay Disney prices themselves).

For 'less' Disney parks--visit Epcot and Animal Kingdom with them--let them have the day off for golfing/spa/shopping when you do Magic Kingdom. There is so much for adults in Epcot...but having been to Europe, they may not appreciate the Epcot version. I agree with going during a festival. The 'arts' festival is in January/early February. Flower/Garden festival from March-May. Food and Wine Festival (just avoid weekends and holidays) September to mid November.

A lot of the high end resorts have very little 'Disney' feel to them...it's not 'in your face' as much...it's more hidden.

As far as food...lol, I don't think I've ever had a cheeseburger at Disney! There are so many other things to eat. With your parents, obviously, I'd avoid the character meals and buffets. Get ADR's for some of the nicer restaurants.

Good luck! I hope that no matter what you decide...parks/cruise...or one or the other, that it goes well for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter