Invisalign or traditional braces?

FLAngie

DIS Veteran
I had traditional braces about 20 years ago. My teeth have shifted a little since then so I went in for an ortho consult yesterday. The ortho said either invisalign or braces would work well for me. I would need to have them 12 to 18 months total. The invisalign were about $200 less- not much difference when you consider the entire cost. So, if you had invisalign are you glad you made that decision? Any problems? Would you recommend that way over braces? Part of me thinks braces might be better since I know what to expect as far as treatment/pain/results. But the invisalign sounds very tempting.:confused3

I have invisalign right now and am happy with my decision. I am 36 and never had metal braces as a child. I am on my last set of trays for the top and 3 more to go for the bottom. It is a little painful each time you change your trays(every 2 weeks for me) and definately an adjustment at first. Hardest thing for me is can't constantly snack(it is a pain to floss and brush after every time) and eating out. I am most likely going to need refinements, which are little tweaks if you are not happy with the movement of your teeth. I personally didn't want to wear metal braces at my age and this is soo much better and quicker for less money. No brainer. Feel free to ask any questions.:goodvibes

I had invisalign a few years ago. I'm in my 20's and didn't want metal braces.

My complaint is that they are not as invisible as the marketing makes them appear. (I had several people ask me what was in my mouth or on my teeth.) Plus, since they wrap around to the back of your teeth, it affected my speech some when I had them in.

In the end I had to wear metal braces for a couple of months anyways.

Do whichever feels right to you. If I had a do-over, I would skip invisalign and have traditional braces the whole time.

I had Invisalign a couple of years ago. (I'm in my 30's.) I, too, just couldn't see myself in metal braces. The Invisaligns worked out fine for me. They kept me from snacking a bunch which I thought was a good thing! When I first got them my speech was a little off for a few days until I got use to them. All in all, though, I would make that choice again.

My complaint is that they are not as invisible as the marketing makes them appear. (I had several people ask me what was in my mouth or on my teeth.) Plus, since they wrap around to the back of your teeth, it affected my speech some when I had them in.

I wondered how noticeable it would be. The example in the office looked really shiny. I am almost 40 and wonder if it would be better that it just looked like braces, or have people question what the heck is in your mouth.

I hadn't considered that snacking part. That is a big bonus for the invisalign!

Really, they aren't that noticable and if you want your mouth to look "normal" for some reason (family photo, etc) just pop them out. Can't do that with regular braces.

Another plus: no metal pieces poking your mouth. No torturous tightening of the screws or when new bands are placed on.

There is a little tenderness (especially at the beginning as you get used to it) but it isn't bad at all. You also save a lot of time not running to the ortho---they give you a bag with a bunch of retainers and you just have to pop in a new one every 2 weeks. It's super fun to compare the first one and last one when everything is said and done.

I have been wearing mine for 7 months now and not one person asked me if i had something in my mouth! Sure I told my friends and family so they knew, but no random strangers have ever said anything. The no snacking is a GOOD thind!:rotfl2:

Has anyone tried the Powerprox six month braces?

Just curious how well they really work in the long run.

I wrote this in December 2010:
There are currently two companies that market "clear braces", Invisalin and ClearCorrect. They both use computer designed clear appliances that fit snugly over the teeth. They are virtually invisible, unless you get really close to look.
I don't agree that they are useless or only for minor adjustments.
Just like traditional braces, they apply pressure to the teeth to gradually move them. With braces, you have wires, and braces that you have on 24/7 for the length of the procedure.
With clear braces, you insert these snug fitting appliances, and only remove them to eat and drink (anything aside water). Every 2-3 weeks, you will change appliances. Just like braces, each appliance gradually moves the teeth toward the desired position. You brush and floss after every meal and before you reinsert the appliances.
They are less noticeable, easier to keep clean, and makes brushing and flossing a simple task.
I suggest you do some research and maybe get a 2nd opinion from somebody that offers this option.
OK, I am on Series #8. I visit the dentist every 6 weeks, and he check progress and gives me my next 2 appliances. Sometimes he has to make some minor shaping to my teeth to aid in the movement.
But, nothing beats the ability to take the appliances out to eat, brush, floss, and replace them.
One tip. I bought a small crochet hook, to aid in removal of the newest appliance. The first few days, they are very tight, especially how crooked my upper teeth are, so this tiny hook helps me get the removal started, and then I can grip it with my fingers.
I also soak them in a fizzy type denture cleaner every few days while I am having dinner.
Even after 6 months, nobody has ever noticed them without me first pointing them out.

I had Invisalign for about 18 months to correct some fairly involved problems...and I LOVED it! I felt self-conscious for about the first two weeks, but then realized that my coworkers hadn't actually noticed (had someone remark on my new improved smile a year in, and be incredulous that I had been wearing them and she hadn't noticed...and I see her four or five times a week!) My daughters had traditional braces at the same time that I had invisalign and they had more pain and problems than I did by far.

I am just finishing up my Invisalign. There was no way I was going to do metal braces at my age (39 when I started). I never had braces as a kid. My top teeth were OK, but my bottom ones were very crowded. I'm very happy with the results...never thought I would have straight teeth!

But a few things you should know going in...you will more than likely need at least one refinement. I didn't realize this, so I thought I was going to be done in 6 months. It's now been 16 months, and I still have 3 more trays for the top and 7 more for the bottom.

Depending on how your teeth are positioned, you may need attachments put on. (The attachments are little knobs they put on your teeth that help them move into the proper position.) There is a chance that they may be on your front teeth. With my first refinement, they put an attachment on one of my 4 front teeth (top). There was nothing "invisible" about it, and I was not happy.

When I first got them, I did NOT like the feeling of wearing the trays. I thought they were weird and uncomfortable. They were very hard to get out for the first few days, and it HURT to remove them. I didn't know how I was going to make it to the end, and regretted spending the money (I had to pay up front). BUT, I did get used to wearing them after about 2 weeks, and after a few more weeks, I would even forget I was wearing them.

Good luck with your decision! Either way, you'll have beautiful, straight teeth in the end, so you can't go wrong.:)

Depending on how your teeth are positioned, you may need attachments put on. (The attachments are little knobs they put on your teeth that help them move into the proper position.) There is a chance that they may be on your front teeth. With my first refinement, they put an attachment on one of my 4 front teeth (top). There was nothing "invisible" about it, and I was not happy.

That is something you should know -- it was the biggest "surprise" when we did my daughter's invisilign. The knobs match your teeth, but can be seen on the front teeth. My daughter's luckily were only on her back teeth. But even if you have a tooth colored knob on your front teeth it will be less than all the braces they would be cementing on all your teeth.

Yes, they will feel weird at first but you will quickly get over it. The first day my daughter got them she told me after one hour that it was a mistake but she kept with it and within three days was fine and had no problems when she got her new tray two weeks later.

Someone mentioned needing more adjustments. Yes, my daughter did but that was included in our original cost. Check your contract before signing and make sure the cost is for straight teeth and not for a certain time period.

I think another plus on the invisilign is since you take them out to brush/floss there is less a chance of getting cavities. It is very hard to get everything clean around the metal braces.

Good Luck!

I had metal braces in my late teens, and they were horribly painful, all the time. I also had sore spots where the metal rubbed the inside of my mouth raw (there is only so much wax you can pile on them). The invention of Invisalign was the only reason I was willing to get braces again. My regular dentist (who also happens to be my brother) did the molds of my teeth, along with slight filing on the top front two teeth to make the area fit together better. He handed me my box of trays when they came in and told me to put a new one in every 2 weeks (we live about an hour and a half apart so going in for appts all the time wasn't practical).

There was soooo much less pain than with the metal braces. I loved not having any food restrictions like there are with traditional braces. We went to Disney while I was wearing them, and I should have put a new tray in during the week we were away. I just wore the old tray an extra week so I didn't have to deal with the discomfort of a new one while we were on vacation. With the Invisalign I found that after the first couple of days of a new tray there was very little discomfort in wearing them (unless I forgot and left them out for several hours). I also use my final tray as a retainer now, so I didn't have to pay for a retainer either.

I had braces almost 20 yrs ago, and my teeth have also shifted. I got traditional braces put on about 2 mos ago. I wasn't interested in invisalign. I want perfect looking teeth as the end product and I will go to any lengths as far as discomfort goes, to get it.

My same orthodontist, who did my braces as a teen, is doing them again. He's giving me a major discount since I'm a returning patient. My teeth need treatment again due to me not wearing my retainer, and has nothing to do with the orthodontist.

There are two different types of braces- one are very metal and noticeable, the others look more like a retainer. They work exactly the same. I got the less obvious ones. They are more expensive, but I didn't want the dark ones at my age. The pain was awful. Just as bad as it was my first time around. However, it's totally worth it and I'm able to eat whatever I want now. The first week was almost unbearable though.

I have had Clear Correct Aligners for about 18 months, I go to my dentist every 6 weeks.
He gives me a new pair and my next pair at each visit and checks my progress. My next set, that I will start in 2 weeks are Step #26
The difference in my teeth is unbelievable! Sometimes a new set of aligners will hurt, or be difficult to put on or take off, but it only lasts a day or two. In the beginning, I used a metal crochet hook to help remove my aligners, my dentist thought that was a very clever idea.
The major benefit, I remove the aligners when I eat, floss, & brush. They are near invisible when on. Yes, I have 4 small knobs (bumps) on 4 different teeth to help with the realignment.
Oh, BTW, I am 57 years old, and it's working great! I would highly recommend Invisalign or Clear Correct over tradition braces.

I had invisalign a few years ago. I'm in my 20's and didn't want metal braces.

In the end I had to wear metal braces for a couple of months anyways.

Do whichever feels right to you. If I had a do-over, I would skip invisalign and have traditional braces the whole time.

My gd just finished with her invisalign braces and they worked great for her. She had to tell me she had them on the first time and still I could not see them. She took the upper "plate" out and I was shocked :confused3 She loved them and NEVER had anyone ask if she had braces, and being 15 yrs. old in school, kids can be brutal, but the ones that had metal braces were so envious. Maybe there are different levels of them as hers had NO knobs of any sort as one pp mentioned - it was a clear "plastic looking" covering. They were much more expensive than metal braces because the whole 14 month sets were made at one time (also paid for in advance because of this) and she was given a few each time she went in and changed them every 2-3 weeks. She just filed the few places that would irritate her gums with each new set and she was totally happy. She also ate anything she wanted - would just pop them out, eat, then brush, and put them back in. She even finished a couple months early and her teeth are perfect now. Our son is so happy with the results - said it was well worth the extra $$$. By the way, they kept ALL the sets, so if there is any difficulty, she can start back at ANY point in her treatment. But so far, after a year, they are still great. Sorry that some of you have not been satisfied, because hers WAS invisible ::yes::

I am on tray 6 of 9 on my refinement with Invisalign. I would do it all over again if I had to choose. I've had them for 12 months (2 months off for refinement) and I've only had 1 person ask me what I had on my teeth. When I first started wearing them I did notice a lisp in my talking but after a few days it was gone. They aren't painful for me but are tight when I start a new set, which I like. Makes me feel like they are working. I also had metal braces as a kid and my wisdom teeth (and age) caused my teeth to shift.

I went for a couple consults before deciding on a provider and they all quoted me in the same ballpark ($5,000-$5,400).

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter