IoA vs. WDW planning help needed

CdnMom2

DIS Veteran
Yes, I realize this will ultimately be our own family's decision with respect to our likes & dislikes, but opinions of those who have been to both would really help...

11 days in Florida -- New Year's Week to Jan 10.
2 adults, 4 kids (5 to 13 years)
Hope to have Cdn deal on 7 day Park Hoppers Plus (or else normal 5 days)
So Disney, SeaWorld, KSC & Cocoa Beach, Gatorland & an airboat ride, resort-hopping to see Xmas decor are some of our must-do's. So many other minor want-to-do's have popped up too!

Since it's our first time we figured we would NOT do Universal/IofA. We already have more days on our WDW passes (IF Cdn deal is offered again) than we will likely use.

We are NOT huge thrill ride fans. We are HUGE Dr. Seuss fans & The Grinch. Here's the wrinkle. Grinchmas will be on when we are there. This is the only time we will be going to Florida. Should we take the plunge & factor in a day at IofA?

And what would be the cheapest way to do that? We won't be needing 3 day passes like the at par special.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I've been hearing here how different but enjoyable both WDW & Universal are. Will we regret not trying Universal for a day as this is our once-in-a-lifetime trip to Florida?

I'd probably do IoA instead of Gatorland. Universal's theme parks don't have the same feeling to me as the Disney parks, but they are definintely still worth doing. Are you considering going to Universal Studios as well?

I would highly recommend planning a day for IOA. While it is a great park for thrill lovers like me and hubby, it is also a great park for families with children. In January, we went with my brother and his wife and 3 kids (7,9 & 10) and they said IOA was their favourite park by far! (Disney parks included!)

Spiderman is amazing and good for families, no drops (well, just one "simulated" drop), no speed, and is a must do! Then of course, there is Seuss Landing, which even us 30 year old thrill seekers liked and kids usually love. Our personal favourite is the Lost Continent, it has amazing theming, as does the whole park! Jurassic Park is good fun for the entire family and Toon Lagoon is great fun with TWO amazing water rides! We stayed on Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges three times in a row and had so much fun!

This is a fantastic park...don't miss it!
Universal you can skip, but NOT IOA!!! :bounce:

Thanks for your great descriptive replies. Yes, I am getting more excited about IofA -- still don't really see a need to go to the other Universal Park.

BUT are you all as excited still given the cost calculation.
1 day for our family = 4 (2 children are over 9) x $48 USD PLUS
2x $37USD with CAA discount = about $411 CDN!! Yikes. Even more with today's rate. Let's hope that changes.

The 3 day at par thru CAA comes to $671.74. Comparitively a much better deal, BUT I really don't see us going for 3 days there (time away from Disney). So is only extra dollars spent.

So any more opinions? $411 for 1 day at a Theme Park seems absolutely ridiculous. But then every other expense about this trip is also ridiculous! And when it's the only time going to Florida...

Don't forget that the Universal tickets are good forever, so even if you only do one day now, on another trip, you'd have those passes bought. Maybe even for when the kids are old enough to go back on their own!

You must go to IOA and see the Grinch. Whoville is wonderful for the kids at Christmastime and the characters are great.....IOA and Grinchmas is a must do!!!
:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy:

Thanks again. I should know by now every time I have stewed and stewed over decisions I should just post the question on here!

I guess the kids had better take on another paper route!
You're right Debbie the kids can always use when old enough to come back on own.

IofA here we come. Now convince me I need to go to the other Universal studio...

We went last Christmas and seen GRINCHMAS, We LOVED it. It was well worth the money, to see that alone. The Grinch was hilarious. He totally had the movie "grinch" down! We loved the show they put on. I would suggest you do IoA. That one was on the highlights of our trip.

My kids, ds--13, dd--16 refuse to go to Disney anymore. IOA and USF are the way to go. We got season passes for $99. Can you imagine? We always spend about 3 days - 4 nights and it never seems to be enough. At USF, there are many great rides. MIB is our family's absolute favorite and we do it about 10 times a day. Since we stay on site we have front of the line access. But using express passes and single rider lines you can get on real fast. The ET ride is very fun as well as Hanna Barbera and the kids area has a little coaster, a Fievel's water playland, etc. etc. The Wild West show is very good for younger kids and so is Twister. There are two new rides going in, Shrek 4d and a Jimmy Neutron, depending on when you are going (they should be done by spring). The animal actor show is cute as well as the Monster Make up show. Also Terminator 3d if your kids are a little adventurous. Jaws, Kong and Earthquake are a little more frightening but very entertaining. There is also the Nickleodeon tours and being slimed.

As you can see, there is LOTS to do. It is definately more grown up than Disney but not that grown up that kids can't have a ball.
I'm not a big thrill rides person either. But IMHO, IOA and USF and their hotels put Disney to shame.

I really love Universal and every year that we go we always have to visit that park.:D Also we were in IOA in Dec 2000 and saw the Grinch and all "The Whos" LOL and what a hoot this was!!! We were solo (no kids) and loved it as much as all the little ones did! It's definitely a "not to miss" park!;)

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have a great time!:sunny:

CAA has the 3 day passes for $111 per adult. Thats only $222 minus the kids. How did you get $600? It would be less than $450 for the 4 of you. I calculated that even if we didn't use our 3rd day we would pay less to buy CAA"s at par 3 day tickets than single day admission tickets even with a discount.

maxie there are 6 of us. 2 real adults and 2 children over the age of 9 and 2 children under the age of 9.

Somewhere I have copied down CAA rates of $116.55 for the 3 day Adult passes (times that by 4) and $102.77 for the 3 day Child Passes (times that by 2). I get $671.44 -- at least that's Cdn dollars!

Now that all this money is being thrown about (in our heads anyway) Discovery Cove for all of us is looking reasonable! Talk about budget creep! I'm supposed to be SAVING money on these boards. LOL!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter