iPhone not activated for iMessage

Lisa F

is a very wise woman
We have android phones but with how much more reliable people are saying iMessage is aboard the fantasy, would it make sense to buy a couple of old iPhones to keep in touch? or do you have to be activated under cell service to use iMessage? I let my son use my old unactivated android phones on wifi whenever I get a new phone and it works great for him, but we are not apple people

thanks!

Wondering if picking up old iPhones just for iMessage is worth it. Can iPhones use iMessage without cell service? I've let my son use unactivated Android phones on Wi-Fi too, so curious if iPhones work similarly.

iMessage can be used with Wi-Fi only. I use it on my iPad. Who are you trying to keep in touch with?

Wondering if picking up old iPhones just for iMessage is worth it. Can iPhones use iMessage without cell service? I've let my son use unactivated Android phones on Wi-Fi too, so curious if iPhones work similarly.
They do work generally the same. I snagged my mom's old iPhone to hopefully let my son do imessage/DCL cruise app on the next cruise. It works with wi-fi and a cellular plan, but he'll just be on ship's free wifi.

Also, no pictures on iMessage on the ship. But it would work elsewhere.

We have android phones but with how much more reliable people are saying iMessage is aboard the fantasy, would it make sense to buy a couple of old iPhones to keep in touch? or do you have to be activated under cell service to use iMessage? I let my son use my old unactivated android phones on wifi whenever I get a new phone and it works great for him, but we are not apple people

thanks!

Just you Whataspp on your Android phones. As long as you have it installed and connected with the people you want to contact during the trip, it works just was well at IMessage on the ship. It's what many of the cast members use to talk to family. I know it's reliable because two of our family use Android and two use IMessage, and both had the same reliability on our last two cruises (Fantasy and Magic).

Just you Whataspp on your Android phones. As long as you have it installed and connected with the people you want to contact during the trip, it works just was well at IMessage on the ship. It's what many of the cast members use to talk to family. I know it's reliable because two of our family use Android and two use IMessage, and both had the same reliability on our last two cruises (Fantasy and Magic).
It's unclear from the initial post if the son has a phone number - maybe not since he's only used wifi on old phones. Just know you will need a phone number to set up a WhatsApp account. We just went through this on a non-DCL cruise. We were traveling with another family - the 3 of them and I all have iphones but DS and DH were on androids. We figured we'd just chat through the app but they didn't allow chatting for kids under 18. So we were going to do WhatsApp but DS was using wifi only on DH's old android phone. He doesn't have a phone number so we weren't able to set up a WhatsApp account for him. In the end we used Google Chat which worked just fine but it took a while to get everyone set up.

Like I said this was not DCL but I imagine the same situation would apply.

iMessage should work on any apple device with WiFi capability.
WhatsApp is an option but requires an activated phone / phone # I believe.

Also second the WhatsApp recommendation, I’ve found it’s more realisable than iMessage too as doesn’t ever have the issue of logging you out and needing data to log back in, just make sure whoever you’re trying to keep in contact with have it to. I don’t pay for WiFi onboard and use it on every cruise to keep in contact with people at home and friends onboard

You do not need cell service to use Messages (was called iMessage prior) but you WOULD need an AppleID to log into the service if you don't. You can use either one, but you have to either have a phone # or AppleID to sign in and use it on an iPhone.

I have an issue with the Apple ID since i bought my phone. Can't login for some reason
Someone once told me that it might something to do with the dns of my phone.
I am going to flush now using this guide https://applenapps.com/flush-dns-iphone/ and will let you know guys if it worked.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter