• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ipod Touch 3rd generation vs 4th generation

linnylu

Mouseketeer
I am going to start my Christmas shopping early and am trying to decide between a 3rd or 4th generation ipod touch. This is for a 12 year old girl who might use it while running. What are the new features on the 4th generation that aren't on the 3rd generation? What features are the same?

My other issue is that I am giving my 8 year old his older brother's 8G Ipod Touch, 3rd generation. I don't want there to be so much difference that he wants what his sister got.

The new one's have an HD video camera, game center that you can play against your friends, and face time video calling. The previous generation has none of that stuff.

They are pretty cool features so yes, your 8 year old will probably want that stuff too :laughing:

I would get the latest generation you can. I have the 1st generation, Apple is not providing anymore software updates for mine, which means that a lot of the new apps that are coming out aren't compatible with my iPod Touch.
Which is a real bummer. Also, I wouldn't run with it....get a shuffle for that.

Just FYI ~ the lastest ipods (whatever generation they're up to now :rolleyes:) don't have video.

My DD was interested in getting one of the latest ipods until she found out there is no video.

you want HD video, go with a Zune

Just FYI ~ the lastest ipods (whatever generation they're up to now :rolleyes:) don't have video.

My DD was interested in getting one of the latest ipods until she found out there is no video.

Thats the new nano, the previous (two generations, I think) had a video camera. The newest generation Touch has a video camera now, the previous generations didn't.

Well, we don't really need a video camera since we own a FLIP. And we don't really need a camera either.

Any other advantages to the 4th generation?

Well, we don't really need a video camera since we own a FLIP. And we don't really need a camera either.

It has something called facetime and you use it for video calling, and it also has a game center that is supposed to make your game playing experience better and you can play against friends now. My dd has a 3rd generation but once she heard about the newest features she has been dropping hints that she wants to upgrade. I just got hers for her last Christmas so if she wants to upgrade she will have to sell it and use her own money for the newest gen.

I don't know much about the difference between the two, but I will say I don't think running with an iTouch sounds like a very good plan. I am currently running with my iPhone (which is slightly bigger/heavier) and I hate it. I don't have particularly small arms, but finding an arm band that doesn't slide down hasn't worked out (and I imagine the problem for your daughter would be worse). In pockets, it pulls down on my shorts. I'm seriously considering getting either a nano or shuffle that I can just clip on.

I don't mean a video camera. I mean it does not play videos on the screen...like with my DD's current nano, she has some TV episodes loaded onto her iPod that she can play/watch.

The newest nano does not have that feature.

Thats the new nano, the previous (two generations, I think) had a video camera. The newest generation Touch has a video camera now, the previous generations didn't.

Sorry, I meant nano, but apparently my fingers didn't know what my brain was thinking. :laughing:

Whatever generation came out in Oct of 08 does not have a video camera.

CAn anyone tell me the price difference for the 32g 3rd generation and 4th generation iPod touch. Also, is the 3rd generation still around to purchase? Any leads where to get it???

CAn anyone tell me the price difference for the 32g 3rd generation and 4th generation iPod touch. Also, is the 3rd generation still around to purchase? Any leads where to get it???

Amazon has both. The 3rd generation new has been as low as $244 with free shipping, but the price changes at least daily. Keep watching it if you're serious. I believe 4th gen runs closer to $300 (32g that you mentioned)
HTH :)

I don't know much about the difference between the two, but I will say I don't think running with an iTouch sounds like a very good plan. I am currently running with my iPhone (which is slightly bigger/heavier) and I hate it. I don't have particularly small arms, but finding an arm band that doesn't slide down hasn't worked out (and I imagine the problem for your daughter would be worse). In pockets, it pulls down on my shorts. I'm seriously considering getting either a nano or shuffle that I can just clip on.

My thought too. The new Nano is very compact.

I don't mean a video camera. I mean it does not play videos on the screen...like with my DD's current nano, she has some TV episodes loaded onto her iPod that she can play/watch.

The newest nano does not have that feature.

I just received an 8 gig 5th generation Nano from the Apple refurbished site. It was $99 with free shipping. It has the video camera, I have a movie and a few tv shows on there, just downloaded a book, plus I just discovered it has a pedometer. And it has a radio.

My DS has an iTouch - it hit the floor and the screen cracked. He is living with the cracked screen since it cost's just as much to replace it as to buy a new one.

The refurbished site also has iTouch on there - 8 gig $149

Just bought myself a 3rd generation iPod Touch 32g....I don't need the HD video....and would never use the facetime feature. The big plus was the fact that I bought it on clearance at Staples for $149...plus used a $25 coupon...so I only paid $131 with tax vs the new 4th gen. at $299.....it was an easy choice for me. Keep an eye out for clearance prices!!

Just bought myself a 3rd generation iPod Touch 32g....I don't need the HD video....and would never use the facetime feature. The big plus was the fact that I bought it on clearance at Staples for $149...plus used a $25 coupon...so I only paid $131 with tax vs the new 4th gen. at $299.....it was an easy choice for me. Keep an eye out for clearance prices!!

Completely sold out at Staples near us, which is why I went to Amazon. I think the people selling on Amazon got the Staples clearance prices LOL :) Still a decent buy but not as good as you did!

Wow that is great, usually ipods are excluded from coupons a other retailers. I'll have to remember when I need to buy anotehr ipod.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter