Irons, Curling Irons, Blow Dryers, and Straighteners

CaptainJack

Captain Jack does NOT stop and ask for directions!
We are currently on the Fantasy. My wife has always brought her iron with a steamer to steam the clothes for formal night. (Yes, I know the paperwork says they are not allowed on the ship. So, no, the next 20 comments do not need to be--the paperwork says they are not allowed on the ship). The iron, curling irons, etc., have never been questioned.

On this cruise, the iron was confiscated at the Port, but there was no note, tag, etc., stating that it was confiscated at the Port. It was just missing from the luggage. Only when we called guest services on the ship did they inform us that it was undoubtedly confiscated at the Port.

So, if you believe you brought one of these items in your luggage, but it was not there when you opened your luggage you did not forget it at home and your teenager did not lose it. (On the last cruise, my daughters thought they brought one of these items and each blamed the other for losing it. Apparently, neither lost it.). The item should be at the terminal when you get off of the ship (according to Guest Services). We will see.

We are currently on the Fantasy. My wife has always brought her iron with a steamer to steam the clothes for formal night. (Yes, I know the paperwork says they are not allowed on the ship. So, no, the next 20 comments do not need to be--the paperwork says they are not allowed on the ship). The iron, curling irons, etc., have never been questioned.

On this cruise, the iron was confiscated at the Port, but there was no note, tag, etc., stating that it was confiscated at the Port. It was just missing from the luggage. Only when we called guest services on the ship did they inform us that it was undoubtedly confiscated at the Port.

So, if you believe you brought one of these items in your luggage, but it was not there when you opened your luggage you did not forget it at home and your teenager did not lose it. (On the last cruise, my daughters thought they brought one of these items and each blamed the other for losing it. Apparently, neither lost it.). The item should be at the terminal when you get off of the ship (according to Guest Services). We will see.

Yes this is quite standard and normal.

So wait, I can't bring a hair dryer, curling iron or flat iron now? I've never had issues bringing these things onboard before.

Not sure why "Curling Irons, Blow Dryers, and Straighteners" are in the title. They have always been allowed.

So, you knew the iron wasn't allowed, but you took it anyway? :confused3

Clothing irons are not allowed. They are provided in the laundry rooms. Hair styling accessories are allowed. If your daughters missed one of those they probably did forget it.

, I know the paperwork says they are not allowed on the ship. So, no, the next 20 comments do not need to be--the paperwork says they are not allowed on the ship).

The comments are merely expressing interest on why you would be surprised that the iron was confiscated if you knew it was not allowed on the ship. Or is the issue the fact that you were not notified that it was confiscated?

Not sure why "Curling Irons, Blow Dryers, and Straighteners" are in the title. They have always been allowed.

So, you knew the iron wasn't allowed, but you took it anyway? :confused3

I guess they thought the rule didn't apply to them :confused3

So I can take straighteners (is a flat iron the same thing) Can I take a garment steamer (which is not a clothes iron)? I am getting so confused we leave in 59 days!!!

Are travel clothes steamers allowed?

So I can take straighteners (is a flat iron the same thing) Can I take a garment steamer (which is not a clothes iron)? I am getting so confused we leave in 59 days!!!

DCL is a little murky about whether steamers are allowed or not. Here is what they say on their website:

For safety reasons, the provided irons or steamers may be used in the laundry room only; personal irons cannot be brought aboard.

Now, I've never seen a steamer provided in the laundry rooms, only irons. I'm not sure whether they are saying "provided irons are the only ones permitted" and "steamers (personal one you brought onboard) are only to be used in the laundry rooms" or something else.

For a list of what's prohibited:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/prohibited-items/prohibited-items/

DCL is a little murky about whether steamers are allowed or not. Here is what they say on their website:

For safety reasons, the provided irons or steamers may be used in the laundry room only; personal irons cannot be brought aboard.

Now, I've never seen a steamer provided in the laundry rooms, only irons. I'm not sure whether they are saying "provided irons are the only ones permitted" and "steamers (personal one you brought onboard) are only to be used in the laundry rooms" or something else.

For a list of what's prohibited:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/prohibited-items/prohibited-items/

On the Dream/Fantasy there are definitely steamers in the laundry rooms.

At least on the Deck 2 ones. I have seen them.

MJ

No need to bring a steamer. Just hand your garment up in the bathroom, turn on the hot water shower and close the door. Works every time. :thumbsup2

We just bring wrinkle release. Spray everything once it's hung up. Works great on all clothes including my husbands suit Don't bring a big one. Takes up too much weight. I bring two travel sizes and Toss them when we leave. For my husbands one good shirt I wrap in plastic cleaning wrap and it rarely needs anything else. I see people ironing a basket of clothes in the laundry room all the time. What a waste of precious time! Of course I don't iron at home either. Don't even know where my iron is. If you can't just hang it up right out if the dryer or send it to the dry cleaner it doesn't get purchased or worn

I think he now thinks that they haven't been allowed?

So, if you believe you brought one of these items in your luggage, but it was not there when you opened your luggage you did not forget it at home and your teenager did not lose it. (On the last cruise, my daughters thought they brought one of these items and each blamed the other for losing it. Apparently, neither lost it.).

In the past his daughters lost things, and he thinks that they were confiscated instead. Because that's what happened with the clothes iron.

I think he now thinks that they haven't been allowed?

In the past his daughters lost things, and he thinks that they were confiscated instead. Because that's what happened with the clothes iron.

I understand his post as saying the clothes iron got confiscated on the current cruise -- and apparently they couldn't blame the daughters for losing it, so they were able to confirm it was actually confiscated. I believe he's upset at the lack of notification that an item was confiscated.

They are now assuming previously "lost" items were confiscated -- but that may or may not be the case, especially if it was a hair-care item. Back to the assumption the teenagers lost it... :upsidedow

People, if you follow the rules you shouldn't have troubles... just sayin' ;)

On the Dream/Fantasy there are definitely steamers in the laundry rooms.

At least on the Deck 2 ones. I have seen them.

MJ

I was wondering where the laundry rooms were on the Dream. I thought I had covered the entire ship but never did see them. :laundy:

I was wondering where the laundry rooms were on the Dream. I thought I had covered the entire ship but never did see them. :laundy:

From the FAQ sticky:

Laundry Rooms on the DreamSelf serve laundry rooms on
deck 2 (opposite 2002),
deck 5 (opposite 5192),
deck 6 (opposite 6508),
deck 7 (opposite 7014),
deck 8 (opposite 8150),
deck 9 (opposite 9500) and
deck 10 (opposite 10572).

Each location has at least 4 washers and 2 dryers, 1 iron and ironing board and a folding table and seating bench. At least one location (deck 6) has 8 washer, 4 dryers and 2 irons/ironing boards.
No need to carry quarters, a swipe of your room key and you can charge a load to wash (45 minute cycle) and/or dry (45 minute cycle) and even purchase laundry supplies (Tide, Clorox and/or Downey).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter