Irritating things that happen in your house?

Cat food plates. We have 3 cats and each gets their own plate of wet food 2x/day. I work 3 12 hr shifts and when I get home after the 3rd day, I'm greeted by 9-12 dirty cat plates. They have to bend over to put the fresh ones down. Why can't they bring the dirty ones up? I refuse to do it because I don't do pet stuff. So, I yell at someone to do it at 11pm. Every.Single.Week. I stay on top of them on my days off, but no one lifts a finger when I'm at work.

My husband is very helpful, but these almost grown kids? UGH! They grudgingly do it when I fuss, but why do I have to? Everyone has chore lists and knows what they are responsible for. You live here? Then you must contribute to upkeep. Period. I'm too damn lazy to be anybody's maid and I ain't doing it. They know this about me. :rotfl:

I had a friend that was frustrated with her family not picking things up, leaving things out, and all the other things that drive us up the wall. One day some blinds fell. She decided to leave them and see how long they stayed on the floor. She watched everyone just step over them. She finally had to cave and pick them up. When she asked why nobody would pick them up her husband told her he had a different level of clean and by time it hit his level she had already cleaned whatever up......and yes, he is still alive.
I live alone now, so only myself to blame. It is funny, since my divorce 12 years ago I haven't lost any socks, had dishes disappear, found things with 2 drops left in it, had my things broken or not returned, had trash overflow, and most importantly, I have not run out of things because someone didn't put it on the grocery list.

I’m annoyed at myself at myself half the time. Sunday evening,…..this week I’m going to get to the whatever 12 chores I wanted toget done this week. Come Friday, how can it be Friday already? I only got 5 done.

I'm not reading all the answers first because I'm just giving my answer but I will enjoy this. My first is thank you so much for taking out the trash but that is not a complete job unless you put a new bag in our kitchen can. Second is don't you dare put something I washed and folded back into the laundry without wearing it. I know you husband and you don't fold things like that after you wear them. Last is for the love of god we have a dishwasher....please just rinse and load. What is so hard?!??!!

I am blessed because my mother-in-law (RIP) trained my husband very well. He is very tidy and picks up after himself, empties the garbage, and does anything else I ask of him. The only time I get a bit irritated is when he gets in my way in the kitchen, but that is rare.
Same with my husband. He’s the neat one in our house. He doesn’t cook but will do most everything in the house. He’s retired and I’m not yet.

Sounds like a lot of weaponized incompetence going on in this thread.
Remember that Everybody Loves Raymond episode? Around here we call that stuff "pulling a Robert Barone". :laughing: I guess I'm guilty of enabling though. Among many of their domestic failures, the worst thing both DH and DS (both competent grown men) do is not put garbage in the actual garbage cans. They will take it and put it on the counter right on top of where the garbage bin pulls out and not open the freaking door and put it in. Do I then do it for them? Yes - guilty. But I might not live long enough to "outwait" them and I can't tolerate the visual chaos.

Splashing! It's the splashing that drives me nuts. Why can't anyone wash their hands without getting spots on the mirror and leaving puddles on the counter and floor?

My DH does the dishes but for the life of him he can’t clean the food particles out of the drain. He claims to have grown up with a garbage disposal but we’ve lived here without one for over 30 years! He also doesn’t wipe counters. So, every morning I wipe the counters and fish out the leftover food out of the drain. Luckily his laundry skills are better.

It’s just my wife and me so we pretty much just do things to keep everything in order. However, while not irritating, she tends to not shut drawers all the way and it bugs me. It’s been a running joke for years and now I think she does it just to screw with me!!

We have a magnet that gets put on the front of the dishwasher when the load is clean so everyone knows it can be emptied. It's a *MAGIC* magnet. I don't know why I can't experience this magic myself, but for everyone else in the house the magnet *disappears* when the dishwasher is ready to be emptied. I'm usually the one who places the magnet when the dishwasher hits the drying cycle, and I can see it, but *POOF!* it's gone for everyone else.
The one I have is a slider one.

Slide one direction and it says "Clean" with a green background. Slide the other direction and it says "Dirty" with a red background.

When the dishwasher gets started running I slide it to the "clean" side. Once empty I slide it to the "dirty" side so dirty dishes can begin being added.

Honestly it's one of my favorite gadgets of the house.

If they’re in the sink, there’s no room to actually wash anything you might want to clean in the sink.
That depends on what type of sink you have and where the dishes are put in.

We have a divided sink. One side has the garbage disposal on it and I would prefer that one stay open unless a dish is being soaked. That side I used the most for washing dishes. The other side has a slotted drain and I'm fine with dishes being put in there, it doesn't impede washing dishes in the least.

My house has a garbage disposal, something I have never had in my life before. The amount of silverware I've destroyed getting used to having one is huge. 🥴 I'm getting better though so hopefully my silverware is safe again.

That depends on what type of sink you have and where the dishes are put in.

We have a divided sink. One side has the garbage disposal on it and I would prefer that one stay open unless a dish is being soaked. That side I used the most for washing dishes. The other side has a slotted drain and I'm fine with dishes being put in there, it doesn't impede washing dishes in the least.

I think we have a similar sink, but it gets used a bit differently. The side with the slotted drain ends up being where DH crumples up his soda cans before he moves them out to the recycling can in the garage. It's rare that this side is every completely free from cans. So, the side where you are good with dishes houses empty crumpled cans for me. That leaves the other side with the garbage disposal as the only open space.

Walking by the trash can with your leftover food, napkin, straw in your cup and stacking your dishes on the counter with all of that. I am somewhat mobility challenged and the ten steps back to the trashcan can be quite a pain (literally)

On the same note, they don't stack the dishes. They leave a trail one pate high all the way down the counter so it looks like way more of a mess that it really is... and, makes me walk more.

I think we have a similar sink, but it gets used a bit differently. The side with the slotted drain ends up being where DH crumples up his soda cans before he moves them out to the recycling can in the garage. It's rare that this side is every completely free from cans. So, the side where you are good with dishes houses empty crumpled cans for me. That leaves the other side with the garbage disposal as the only open space.
Ah yeah. What are crumpled up pop cans doing in the sink?? That doesn't even make any sense lol, would def. annoy me, at least dishes in a sink make sense! Sounds like a separate spot for your husband to put those cans to end up before making it to the garage would help.

I'd actually rather the dirty dishes be next to the sink than in it!

And I have them mostly trained to write something on the grocery list if they use the last of it.

Like others said, though, mine is toilet paper. I have no idea what they'd do if I didn't replace the roll. :laughing: - But I love them!!
Don’t even get me started on the grocery list, I BEG people to let me know what they need. Ds21 is the worst because he complains that stuff he wants isn’t in the order, because I should know he eats these things (but I guess I don’t open up containers to see how much is left.). I dated H for 5 years, 1 of his roommates used to bring his bathroom stuff back and forth. One day he was like “what the heck are you guys using for shampoo, soap and toothpaste?!”

Don’t even get me started on the grocery list, I BEG people to let me know what they need. Ds21 is the worst because he complains that stuff he wants isn’t in the order, because I should know he eats these things (but I guess I don’t open up containers to see how much is left.). I dated H for 5 years, 1 of his roommates used to bring his bathroom stuff back and forth. One day he was like “what the heck are you guys using for shampoo, soap and toothpaste?!”
Have him do his own grocery shopping, at 21 assuming no neurodivergence he should be very capable of doing this. He'll also learn if something he wants is worth the trip lol. It's easy to figure out if you really want something when you have to go get it yourself and spend your own money to do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter