Is ‘unplugging’ possible?

Taking the contrarian view to most who have posted in this thread - to me "unplugging" is more a state of mind attained by not being able to check emails, receive texts or phone calls, scroll news headlines or social media.

Using my phone onboard for activity schedules, menus, tips, photos, music has nothing to do with being "unplugged" in that regard.

And no matter how many people complain here or elsewhere paper navigators aren't going to return.
Yes. As I recall, if you only use the free ships WiFi, all of those nasty features are disabled while at sea. That’s my plan. No data = unplugged.

We just recently sailed and did the whole phone thing - mainly to be able to communicate with our child on board who was off doing things while DH and I relaxed. But next time we cruise it will be just DH and me and I am going back to no phone except for whenever we get off at ports.

For drinks even though I had a phone I just signed and tipped via the server's ipad.

Yes, I cruised last week, and you do not really need your phone after noting your dining rotation and taking a picture of your safety drill location.

1. You can ask for a paper menu in the dining room.
2. You can prepay tips in advance of the cruise, and bring cash onboard to be able to tip extra as desired.
3. You can avoid trying to disembark at ports first thing (getting up at the crack of dawn on vacation is overrated, anyway). Once the first hour has passed, the virtual queue typically isn't needed. And if you've snagged a CC cabana, you can bypass the queue for CC even if you do disembark first thing.
4. You do not need a phone during activities or shows.
5. You do not need a phone to review & order your cruise photos- that occurs at a kiosk at Shutters. You don't need your phone when they take the photos- they just ask for your stateroom number.
6. Activities are listed on the stateroom TV.

There is nothing to stop you from unplugging for your cruise.
Thank you!

what about ordering drinks at bars?
Can you still order with your kttw? iirc I think I read on here that they don't issue paper tickets like before, where you add the tip amount with a pen and then sign... that you tip via the app.
I'm also one of those that plans on 'unplugging' as much as possible on my next cruise. So much so that I'll even take a separate camera and not take pics with my phone.
On the UK sailings they were still using pen and the paper receipts to add tips. But unlike pre-covid, you didn’t have to show your KTTW card - they asked your room number and looked you up on their system (which shows your check-in photo and other details to confirm identity).

And there was no paper (or pens that I remember) in the cabins on this sailings either - even the usual postcards were gone. A pen magically appeared on the last night for the survey though 🙄

Yes. As I recall, if you only use the free ships WiFi, all of those nasty features are disabled while at sea. That’s my plan. No data = unplugged.
How is the WiFi these days on board? People used to complain how bad it was on Disney. I am seeing complains on other cruise lines that the WiFi isn't robust enough for all these people using it, and the ship isn't even at 50% capacity. One of the ships is one that just went into service.

We just don't like carrying stuff around, even our phones. And we really like to do a lot of activities (trivia, drawing, etc.). It would be great if there were monitors our daily activity guides posted throughout the ship rather than having to go back to the room to look at the TV. Is there anywhere to check on this in public areas?

We just don't like carrying stuff around, even our phones. And we really like to do a lot of activities (trivia, drawing, etc.). It would be great if there were monitors our daily activity guides posted throughout the ship rather than having to go back to the room to look at the TV. Is there anywhere to check on this in public areas?
Sorry but no.

Is there still notepaper and a pen in the desk drawer to write the daily schedule down or is that gone also?
And there was no paper (or pens that I remember) in the cabins on this sailings either - even the usual postcards were gone. A pen magically appeared on the last night for the survey though 🙄
There was a pen (and probably paper, but a pen is what I remember because I used it and already had paper) inside my desk drawer on the Magic last month. Try looking inside the desk drawer if you need something like that.

There was a pen (and probably paper, but a pen is what I remember because I used it and already had paper) inside my desk drawer on the Magic last month. Try looking inside the desk drawer if you need something like that.
I did as that’s where I’ve got them in the past but they had all been removed unfortunately. Glad that that sounds like it’s reverted back to normal.

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for the email, great question we are not able to sent the information ahead of time but for dining they have paper menus and quest services can give you a print out of the navigator for the day.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further assistance with any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us.

Have a Magical Day!

And no matter how many people complain here or elsewhere paper navigators aren't going to return.
Well, you are newer to the DIS, so this was before your time, but the same was said in the late 2000's here when people wanted Disney to start including soda for no additional charge instead of charging for a "soda pass". And low and behold, Disney listened. And that cost Disney more than returning to the paper navigators. If enough people mention wanting paper navigators on the comment cards, they will return.

How is the WiFi these days on board? People used to complain how bad it was on Disney. I am seeing complains on other cruise lines that the WiFi isn't robust enough for all these people using it, and the ship isn't even at 50% capacity. One of the ships is one that just went into service.
The free WiFi connection for using the app is generally adequate. The paid plans for connecting with the outside world are pretty miserable. Reminiscent of AOL dial-up.

Well, you are newer to the DIS, so this was before your time, but the same was said in the late 2000's here when people wanted Disney to start including soda for no additional charge instead of charging for a "soda pass". And low and behold, Disney listened. And that cost Disney more than returning to the paper navigators. If enough people mention wanting paper navigators on the comment cards, they will return.

Actually I've been cruising on DCL since 1999 so I'm well aware of the change in the soda policy.

Disney as a company, to include DCL, is going big into green initiatives and discontinuing the paper navigator falls into that category. It's where the entire industry is going.

Actually I've been cruising on DCL since 1999 so I'm well aware of the change in the soda policy.

Disney as a company, to include DCL, is going big into green initiatives and discontinuing the paper navigator falls into that category. It's where the e

Disney as a company, to include DCL, is going big into green initiatives and discontinuing the paper navigator falls into that category. It's where the entire industry is going.
The point that no matter how many people complain they won’t come back is inaccurate. Obviously if everyone complained, they’d be back. You are right, digital is where everything is going. It’s another nicety people have been coerced into giving up without complaining, in the name of the green religion. Making people feel they can’t complain is a good way to avoid complaints.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter