Is 11 too old for first Disney cruise?

catali150

Earning My Ears
I’m sure this question has been asked a zillion different ways but please bear with me. And blame Covid :)

I planned a 2021 cruise when my daughter would have been 8 thinking it was the last year she would really be in to a Disney cruise.
None of us have cruised with Disney though we’ve done a few trips to DW and DL and had a blast.
However when Covid hit we of course cancelled our cruise (or maybe it cancelled on us) and so realistically fall of 2023 would be the earliest we can book another cruise. That would make our daughter 10…or 11 if we push to end of 2023 or later.
Should we just forget Disney cruise lines and opt for a less expensive cruise experience? Perhaps princess or carnival?
advice would be so welcome and appreciated!

On this board, you'll likely get a lot of folks saying that 11 is not too old, and some saying it is.

I've cruised (on DCL) with some friends who had a 13 year old son, who was not a huge Disney fan, but still seemed to be enjoying himself. There's a lot of stuff to do in the kids clubs and the teen clubs.

The reality is that you know your daughter better than we do, and you need to use that knowledge to make your decision.

I don't think there is any bad age to cruise Disney, it just depends upon what your family likes. My kids were 12 and 16 on our first cruise (Disney Wonder to Alaska) and 14/18 for our second on the Magic for the Baltic Sea cruise. We love all things Disney and we were unsure about cruising in general, but wanted to visit Alaska. We loved it, both kids had a great time in Edge and Vibe, my older daughter preferred just to go for specific activities and spent more time doing family activities with us.

Last edited:

We took our first Disney cruise with the kids were @13 and 10. Neither one was very into the characters on the cruise, but they both had a great time. The 13 yo loved the teen club and the 10 yo was very happy on the basketball court. The 10 yo didn't love the kids club for that age group. He said it was "lame".

My kids were 12 and 16 on their first Disney cruise. We had a great time. Their first cruise was on HAL when they were 11 and 15. So no, IMHO 10 or 11 is not too old for a Disney cruise. Given the cost of a Disney cruise I would be leaning towards toward 8 being too young. I know some folks say their toddlers had a great time on a Disney cruise, but to me, that is just too much money for a vacation for a toddler. And I know my kids have no memory of their vacations before they were 6 or 7, and I sure don't of mine either that age.

I am guessing freshmanjs is being sarcastic or being tongued in cheek.
My daughter was 13 on her first Disney cruise and loved all of it.
The clubs, the excursions, the different foods, making friends from across the country, and the various other activities available.
I was over 11 for my first Disney cruise and do not feel I missed the window.

DW and I went on our first Disney Cruise at age 34 and loved it. Have had 2 first time trips with the kiddos postponed due to Covid and now will be 13 and 11 for their first Disney Cruise (now scheduled for early 2023) and are looking forward to it, even though they don't know they have been booked. (Christmas surprise from 2020 they still don't know). Like it was said before, if you're a 'Disney Family' and your daughter enjoys 'Disney', I would think, you will have a wonderful time.

Disney cruises have activities for kids that are age appropriate and much better planned than any other cruise line. Even if your child chooses not to participate in the kids program, the entertainment, facilities, pools, private island and dining will still be memorable.

No way is 11 too old! My 10 y.o. just went on our first and had a blast. Although she liked the kids club ok, the 2.5 hour slot was plenty for her.

She loved the restaurants (ordering a steak off the adult menu every night), bingo, the pool/hot tubs and slide. The shows were her absolute favorite part and we went every night even though they repeat twice. I catch her singing the songs regularly. We absolutely did not have time to scratch the surface on activities, but I know she would have loved the game show type events. We spent most of our time on the pool deck swimming, watching movies on funnel vision, eating non stop soft serve, and even playing card games on the deck as a family when the pools closed for thunder.

My whole family was adults when we did our first Disney cruise and we loved it.

Why would anyone think there is an age limit??

LOL...no

We are cruising adults only next month. And when my kids were 19 and 13, we all took a RC cruise...and all the kids could say is.....Disney Cruise was too much better.

Disney cruises have activities for kids that are age appropriate and much better planned than any other cruise line. Even if your child chooses not to participate in the kids program, the entertainment, facilities, pools, private island and dining will still be memorable.
You bring up a good point to consider. What do you expect from your cruise? For us, cruises were out chance to be together 24/7 with our kids. During the school year with after school activities, we might have seen our kids 3 hours a day. So family activities were a priority for us. Our 12 year old daughter did go to music trivia in the kids club, and was HORRIFIED to discover that the counselor running it genuinely did not know that Paul McCartney was a member of the Beatles. (SMH)

First took my daughter an only child at age 11. She turned out not to be interested in the clubs, but that was fine. She was willing to go to one of the clubs while I had an adult tasting experience, was able to make a friend and went another time later in the week with them to a show. As an only child she enjoyed all the activities that were offered to all ship guests. She chose to do most of her events with me. The nice thing is many events are offered by the ship that everyone was able to attend. She’s a 22 yr old Gold member now and Excited to take her boyfriend so he can get an FE experience.

I would guess a sports minded boy might appreciate one of the larger ships though.

If your daughter is social and will go in the kids clubs, she'll likely have a good time. If she's not and is NOT a huge Disney fan, I'd say she's too old. Looking at my daughter now (12) I know she'd rather go on a ship with more active activities - like Royal Caribbean Oasis class. She doesn't go in the clubs and is not a huge Disney fan but she loves the pools, slides, etc. on Oasis class ships. You know your daughter best.

My youngest was 17 on his first/only Disney Cruise. He had a great time in the teen club - asked to close it down each night.:)

I’m sure this question has been asked a zillion different ways but please bear with me. And blame Covid :)

I planned a 2021 cruise when my daughter would have been 8 thinking it was the last year she would really be in to a Disney cruise.
None of us have cruised with Disney though we’ve done a few trips to DW and DL and had a blast.
However when Covid hit we of course cancelled our cruise (or maybe it cancelled on us) and so realistically fall of 2023 would be the earliest we can book another cruise. That would make our daughter 10…or 11 if we push to end of 2023 or later.
Should we just forget Disney cruise lines and opt for a less expensive cruise experience? Perhaps princess or carnival?
advice would be so welcome and appreciated!
11 is a fantastic age to cruise DCL. I'm a 5th grade teacher (10 - 11 year-olds), and once had a student go on her first Disney cruise during the school year. She loved it. My son loved it at that age.

The Mickey Mouse stuff isn't too in your face on DCL, except during the current boarding party in the atrium. You can take as much or as little of it as you like. The Fab Five theming in the cabins & around the ship is pretty subtle. It doesn't feel like a little kid cruise.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter