Is 50 minutes enough connection time

Philly can be one of the more difficult airports to make connections if you have to go between terminals.

Do you have anything slowing you down?

I'm still proud of the fact one time I made a connection in ATLANTA in 5 minutes, AND that included changing terminals.

I'm going to assume that's at least the minimum connection time, so it should be "enough".

Did the airline set the schedule with that connection time? Usually what they set is enough. At least in my experience. The big gigantic elephant in the room is will your origin flight be delayed any? That's the only time I've encountered problems with short connection times. When the flight is on time, I've made it every single time.

I had the same situation and I called the airline the day prior (Jet Blue). The agent who answered was worried I would not have enough time, so he switched my flight to a direct one at no charge! It was the flight I originally wanted but the difference in price (over $300) was more than the cost of the round trip flight with the one connection on the way home.

I think it depends.

Are you changing terminals?

Are you herding children and/or cats?

Granted my husband ran from one terminal to the next in sub 20 minutes and got to his flight JUST IN TIME. It was dicey, and I was anxiously awaiting at home as we had endgame tickets.

If you're only changing terminals from A to C or B to C or vice versa you should be fine, but if you need to go from A to E you'll be cutting it close, especially if you are in the back of the 1st flight.

If it is possible to choose a lengthier connection time that would be better. If all goes smoothly a 50 minute connection time is no problem. However, if your plane is slightly delayed, you have a big terminal connection (which you likely won't know until you get there), or, as others have noted, have issues that would slow you down, I would say it would be easy to miss your flight. Delta is notorious for giving ridiculous connection times, so I would not rely on the airline to make a wise decision here. I have seen suggestions for flights with 35 minute connection times in Atlanta! If you miss your connection they will likely put you on the next flight out available for your party, but who wants to deal with that? Personally, I'd opt for a longer connection time if feasible to make life less stressful.

If it is possible to choose a lengthier connection time that would be better. If all goes smoothly a 50 minute connection time is no problem. However, if your plane is slightly delayed, you have a big terminal connection (which you likely won't know until you get there), or, as others have noted, have issues that would slow you down, I would say it would be easy to miss your flight. Delta is notorious for giving ridiculous connection times, so I would not rely on the airline to make a wise decision here. I have seen suggestions for flights with 35 minute connection times in Atlanta! If you miss your connection they will likely put you on the next flight out available for your party, but who wants to deal with that? Personally, I'd opt for a longer connection time if feasible to make life less stressful.
35 minutes is the minimum connection time in Atlanta.

Even though this article is almost 3 years old, I think it has good info: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/advice/2019/04/12/flight-minimum-connection-times/3437404002/

If you don’t change it try to at least sit closer to front of plane to give you an edge

Too many variables unknown. Traveling alone? In good shape to move quickly? Familiarity with the airport? Carry-ons or other things? Distance between connection gates? Back in the day I would have certainly done it. Today = nope. :worship: Older, slower, like a leisurely pace and do not want to worry. A stop at the Delta Sky Club works better. lol

It’s through American and they scheduled it. Almost all the other choices had very short connection times as well. We have a three year old, but she will be carried and we will have carryons too. We aren’t familiar with Phila airport so guess I’ll keep my eye on the other flights closer to travel time and call if I’m still nervous.

American gates are A east, A west, B, C, and F. F is separate from the main terminal, requiring an outside walk or a shuttle bus. If your arriving flight is late, or you need to walk from distant terminals, it would be a stressful connection.

From recent experience, I'd say it's possible, but not probable. Depends on a lot of variables - time of day, size of crowd, late arrival...
Maybe likely not, given that you'll have luggage and a toddler.
As others mentioned, if you're connecting to F, that's a LONG walk.
philadelphia airport map (pdf)

Try to take a look at the same flight as yours, but current.
That could give you an idea of what gates your flights will be arriving to and departing from. The flight number should be the same, making it easier to spot.

https://flightaware.com/

Try to take a look at the same flight as yours, but current.
That could give you an idea of what gates your flights will be arriving to and departing from. The flight number should be the same, making it easier to spot.

https://flightaware.com/

Even that doesn't help. Several years ago, we had a tight connection in BWI of about 50 minutes. For about a week prior to the flight, we checked Flightaware for the gates of our arriving and departing flights. The two gates were close enough to each other that we were confident we'd have no problems.

Flight day, they moved the arrival flight to a couple of terminals over.

We still made the connecting flight, but it was too much of a hustle.

What type of plane are you coming in on and what type are you flying out on? I'm in pretty good shape but I would have a hard time making MCT in some airports. I flew into MSP on a CRJ, then flew out on an A321. It took me 30 minutes to get from one end of the airport where the CRJs are to the other end where the A321 took off from. That's without stopping for the bathroom or for any food/drink.

That’s a tough one….I travel solo with my kids to Orlando due to hubs work schedule. We’ve had layovers a few times, usually 45 to 50 minute connections with Delta in Atlanta. First time was 5 months pregnant with a stroller, carry on backpack and 2 toddlers. We made it, barely. Second time, didn’t make it because were were delayed leaving and only had 30 minutes once we landed. That flight originally had 2 hours of cushion. The last time we had 50 minutes and made it with enough time to stop at the bathroom. We are always a few terminals away, if not opposite ends. Our upcoming trip in May has 50 minutes so I’m going to play the game yet again. This time they are 12,10 and 7 so no stroller! As long as the flights are on time, it’s usually ok.

Same airline - American. No international leg. These short connection times are all they have to offer for us with no non-stops available. If we miss our flight I would hope they’d try to get us on another flight since it was their scheduling that was the issue.

Same airline - American. No international leg. These short connection times are all they have to offer for us with no non-stops available. If we miss our flight I would hope they’d try to get us on another flight since it was their scheduling that was the issue.
What are the specific flight numbers?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter