Is 50s Prime Time any good?

Yes, if nothing else for those who will appreciate the theming. It's to goto place for our family of 3 generations.

We liked it. The atmosphere was fun, and DH and I both liked our pot roast and fried chicken.

While they have very different menus - the "quality" of the food is not that different from each other. I'd go by which one YOU like the menu options better.

My first experience at 50's with their antics back in 2010 was awesome - and I was a solo diner - so I think that makes it harder on the CM. My other two times at 50's (as a couple and a group of 5) - the antics were meh to bad. I think it depends on it is feels genius/real - vs. just lines coming out of their mouths.

Sci -Fi is dark - and some folks don't like the cars based on how it splits up their party. And the cars are not comfortable for Pooh sized folks.

But - I don't book 50's anymore - and I do still book Sci-Fi.

We are trying 50s in July, first time. What type of "antics" should we expect?
I loved their antics, and DD, then 5, got a kick out of it. When your table is ready they scream out, "Hey Lastname cousins! Come and sit down!" When we were seated our "cousin" put all the napkins and silverware in the middle of the table and told DH to "make yourself useful and set the table." She told DD that she couldn't have dessert if she didn't finish all her veggies. That kind of thing.

We enjoyed 50s Prime Time, but we prefer Sci-Fi so that is generally where our ADR ends up on our DHS day. I wouldn't cancel 50s though, because the food was good and it was an overall enjoyable experience as well.

DH has done both (a music trip for Sci-Fi) and he prefers 50's. For one, we are both tall and the seating at Sci-Fi is a bit small. The food at 50's isn't original, but it is soooooo good.

Is the combo platter really enough to share? I've looked at pictures on tripadvisor and the portions looked a bit small to me...

My tall, growing DD8 loves meatloaf so I was going to let her order the adult meatloaf meal, and I was going to get either pot roast or fried chicken. I'd love to share so we can also get shakes & dessert, but I don't want either of us leaving hungry...

Is the combo platter really enough to share? I've looked at pictures on tripadvisor and the portions looked a bit small to me...

My tall, growing DD8 loves meatloaf so I was going to let her order the adult meatloaf meal, and I was going to get either pot roast or fried chicken. I'd love to share so we can also get shakes & dessert, but I don't want either of us leaving hungry...

It's enough to share to have a reasonable meal. If you are also getting shakes and dessert, it will definitely be enough, b/c each shake is probably 600+ calories all by itself.

To share, you would each pick one of the meat samples and then each get a small piece of chicken and a small portion of potatoes and veg...but if you add a split shake (or your own shakes) and a split dessert, you'll be in the 1K-1200 calorie range, easy...

If you are getting shakes and dessert then you should be ok, although your DD may feel like she isn't getting too much meatloaf, as our portion of it was very small. DH and I split the combo (ate all of it) and split a shake, and we were ok to a bit hungry, if we had added an app or a dessert we would have been stuffed.

I would say that the combo is plenty if you'll be getting a shake. Let her have the meatloaf while you eat the fried chicken. Pot roast & sides can be split or go to whomever is still hungry. My 3 kids (8,7,5 at the time) split the fried chicken entree (3 big pieces) and then shared the PB&J shake with DH. I had an app, some of DH's combo plate, and the kids tasted bites of his, too. Everyone was stuffed, afterwards.
We all thought that the fried chicken and shake were the best of what we ordered.

50's Prime Time Cafe - GREAT fried chicken dinner. This is the one place that we go to on every single trip.
The Sci-Fi - GREAT atmosphere, but the food is "just okay" (In my opinion).
For good food, I would choose 50's Prime Time.
Sci-Fi has a fun atmosphere and it is worth a visit just for that alone, but in my opinion the food is nothing special. It's not bad, it's just "okay".
I should also mention that we did enjoy Mama Melrose as well.

We enjoyed 50s a lot and used to go each trip. But we have it up for fantasmic packages , at either brown derby or h&v. MM menu doesn't appeal to is.

This year we are spending 2 days at HS. So we are doing fantasmic package one day and I originally planned 50s for the other day but the family unanimously voted for sci fi.

For DS8 and 5 it was pictures of the restaurant. For DW and DD16 it was because we hadn't been there since 2007.

We enjoyed the fun but not the food so after two visits the novelty has worn off so we will try some new places this visit

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter