Is 7 days too long

We came this past August with kids 12 and 8 so similar ages (and we even flew from Toronto to LAX on WestJet too). We did 4 days with park hoppper and MaxPass. Everyone is different so it's hard to say if too much or too little. My DH can only take so much Disney so he found 4 days enough (plus it was very hot) but my kids and I could have even done 5 days. For our trip, we started in Hollywood area and then headed over to Disneyland so that was 4 days straight at the parks...plus we arrived in the morning and stayed until evening (i.e. no hotel breaks or anything). I'll even say that we got most things done but there were things we never got to as we ran out of time.

So if you are doing 7 days, and maybe planning on returning to hotel for a swim or do other things, then 7 days sounds fine. Also note that last week in August, it isn't super long park hours mid week (I think it was 10am regular...and 9am magic or early hours if staying onsite...,.and parks closed 8ish mid week). This actually worked well for us since we got up, had breakfast,shower and then headed over....not super rushed or up extra early. And night time gave us time to shower and relax before bed.

As an option too...we didn't rent a car and used uber everywhere (including Hollywood to Anaheim). We did uberXL when we had our luggage but otherwise, regular uber for getting around. We didn't need to worry about driving and it worked out well for us.

Enjoy. You'l have a blast!

I personally would love to do a 7-day trip, but we've managed just fine in 2-3 days. Honestly, depending on the time of year, touring style, and interests, you can make it in 2 days if you like to hurry. But, if you want time to sit at a hotel pool, see anything except DLR, or just take your time to take everything in, 7 sounds like a dream come true. But you don't absolutely need 7 days like I feel you do at WDW.

We usually go for the 5 day PH, and have a day "off property". One time we did the La Brea tar pits, had lunch at the Framer's Market and then went to El Capitan for a movie (they show Disney movies and have special events like the Nightmare Before Christmas 4D), it is in Hollywood so there are other stuff to see around there as well. One trip we went to San Diego, you can do the Zoo, Sea World, or the Safari Park. This past May we did the Petersen Automotive Museum and then lunch at the Farmer's Market (love that place!)

This May will be a longer trip (9 days) we are planning on the Observatory, Farmer's Market (yup), and on another day go to Knotts. Still trying to figure out if we want to do a Studio Tour or something else. I wanted to go see Walt's barn but it is only open one day a month and it does not fall on our dates. I do want to see the carousel - but it is not open everyday in the off season.
either.

Last year (and this year probably) we had APs. We like to go in on our arrival day (we get in around 9am) and on departure day (leave at night). Since Disney only sells 5 day tickets it works for us to get the APs since we go in October as well.

And I would love to stay 7 days! We usually go down for a week, but only get 5 day PH.

I was thinking about the difference between folks who think 2 or 3 days is plenty and those of us who want five or more. For me, it’s this-you can absolutely experience most of the attractions in 2-3 days if you are organized, use max pass, keep moving. We’ve done trips like that and have had a great time.

But many of us Disney freaks want to do more than just hit everything once. My kids and I (not so much DH!) want to ride our favorites multiple times. I want to not have to hurry my kids along if they want to play for an hour on Tom Sawyer Island or the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. I love to sit in the rocking chair on Main St with an ice cream cone and people watch for 20 minutes. My husband and kids love to do the animation studio multiple times. I could spend ten days and not get bored-I know that makes me a freak to many but these boards are where freaks like us meet

2018 will be our third trip to DLR. In 2016, we did a three day pass with our infant. In 2017, we did a five day pass with our 6 and 4 year old. The three day trip wasn't long enough for DW and I. We felt rushed to do all the shows and attractions that we wanted and didn't end up doing everything.

The five day was perfect! We never felt rushed with the kiddos unless we left the park for dinner and were going to be late for one of our fast passes when we got back. The four of us absolutely loved it. Our last day was super emotional (as usual), but we felt much more satisfied with the time we got to spend in the parks. We will be doing five day hoppers again in 2018.

I think 7 days is too long - good for WDW, but if I had 7 days in SoCal I would do 4 at DLR and the other 3 in the LA area with a rental car. There's a lot to see.

We have been taking FIVE-Day DL trips for years. We take our own sweet time and see everything we can and ride our favorite rides numerous times!:car:
We stay on site at the Grand or the DLH and LOVE it:love:. Get up for early entry to ride the big rides or character breakfasts, catch a show, see what is new. Go back to the pool n hot-tubs in the early afternoon. Head back to the parks to see the parades, sunset, DL at night. :banana:
We enjoy seeing everything at a relaxed easy pace. The rides, grounds, landscaping, characters, artwork, & the attention to detail you will only find at DisneyLand :sail:.
We go to relax and forget the world for a week, no morning news, no newspapers, just our family at DL, :grouphug:.

I can easily spend 8+ days in WDW, but 7 days in DL/DCA would be way too long for me. I am not sure I could do more than 5 days, our usual trips are 3 days, and for 2 adults that's perfect for us, and we are even able to do our favorites multiple times. You know your family best though, I hope you have an excellent time!!!

We usually do 5 to 7 days. Two adults and a 9 year old. We stay flexible with our return dates, check out early if we are burned out. Sometime we sleep in and do the parks later in the day (avoids the security, turnstile lines), other days we may go for the entire day. Usually triggers a sleep in day afterward. We take it easy in the parks, make meal reservations, see some shows, just enjoy the atmosphere. It is possible to "do everything" in a few days, but it depends on your definition of everything :)

DH and I did 7 days in September (no kids) and it was great. We did rent a car as we went to a Dodgers game one afternoon and out for a long lunch away from the parks on another day. We upgraded to annual passes, and we were in the parks for 4 full days and 3 half days. It wasn't too long, and we had a blast.

We are taking our adult kids for a week at the end of April, with 5 days in the parks. I'm pretty sure that none of us will think
it's too much time in the parks.

Do you make reservations 180 days out as well, or is that different too?

No, at 60, and sometimes you can't do it right at 60 because the dates aren't yet loaded in the system. (I had to wait until 59 days to book my Fantasmic dining package.)

You can easily do everything in 5 days (including multiple rides on most attractions), especially if you take advantage of Fantasmic/WOC dining.

Looking at doing our first DL trip. We normally go to WDW for 7 or8 days. If we head to DL is 7 days too much. What else is close to do if we are staying at the Grand?

We can never have enough days at Disneyland. We would take advantage of the MM/EE daily. Have a late breakfast or early lunch depending on how family felt. Nap, catch a movie, draw a few characters etc, then hit the parks in the late afternoon/evening. Being at the Grand is awesome, especially when you ride Grizzly Rapids!

I couldn't handle 7 days at DLR. I'm done at 5 and 3-4 is best for me. Now, having said that, I will add that I go fairly often (usually about 6 times/year) and would rather have a lot of trips for a few days than a few trips for a lot of days. I just can't take it after a while, even though I'm a Disney nut, but I'm lucky that I can come back in a month or so and do it again :). But even if I didn't go as often, I would still burn out with more than 4 or 5 days at a time.

We're going to CA for 7 nights later this year. We only plan on three or four days at DL, and we are going to Knotts. Knotts was a must for me. We are still debating what we will end up doing the other days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter