Is 7 dwarfs a jerky ride?

Its not jerky but it IS a roller coaster. Milder than the others maybe, but still a coaster. I've gone 3 times thinking it wasn't so bad, but thats it for me.

If you are concerned about neck issues and "jerkiness" ask to sit in the first car of the train. There is less movement there.

^^ This! I found the ride smoother and less intense toward the front of the train than the time we ended up in the very back.

Fun fact* - Jerky was originally the name of the dwar....er, little person, who would become Grumpy. "Jerky" just didn't test well with early audiences.

(*Actually, entirely made up. Fake spews. if you will.)

I'm not so sure about "Jerky," but I know that one of the names brainstormed for the dwarves was actually "Awful." Just...Awful. :rotfl2:

Not jerky, with the swing it is more left right movement. DS has had a C1-C2 Spinal Fusion and does just fine on it but his major issue pre-surgery was flexing forward and back.

So am I the only one who tries to get the mine train car rocking back & forth at the end of the ride while waiting to disembark? (Usually by the dwarfs cottage.):rolleyes1

As stated, it's not particularly jerky, but there is a little bit of whipping action that can happen. I'm very tall, so my center of mass is quite high with my shoulders, neck and head way above the back of the seat. I do experience a fair amount of thrashing about if I don't slump down significantly (not an easy thing to do). But that's just physics in action and not nearly as noticeable if you're under 6'. If you are concerned about neck issues and "jerkiness" ask to sit in the first car of the train. There is less movement there. The last car in the train experiences additional motion, as excess movement (energy) from the front cars is translated back into the rear cars. Physics again.

Alternately, if you want a bit wilder ride, sit in the last row of the last car.

Steve
Steve, do you think that same request would help on BTMR? I always chicken out but promised my kids I'd absolutely ride it this trip in June.

All these replies crack me up! It's a really smooth ride. I especially like the warning that your Dr. might say no, so don't ask. I agree. Ha ha.
I think that if you are willing to drive in a car, or God forbid, ride a city bus, this is less risk. Have fun!! Oh and say hi to Jerky for me. :)

I haven't ridden SDMT, but I have ridden Barnstormer, and I thought that one was real jerky! Maybe I'm just a total wus, but I was glad it's such a short ride-VERY jerky and whippy.

Steve, do you think that same request would help on BTMR? I always chicken out but promised my kids I'd absolutely ride it this trip in June.

I'm not Steve, but Yes.

I don't know how much it will actually "help" but...
You can nicely ask the CM at loading if you want to sit in the back car, or the front car, or any other car.
They will very often be accommodating.

BTMR is a fantastic coaster for guests who are really not fans of "coasters."

I thought it was a smooth brief coaster but it did have some bumpy moments. Barnstormer and BTMR are definitely "jerky" but still tame coasters. Primeval Whirl at AK made me feel like I was in a fight and got whooped, lol! I won't ever ride that again :laughing:.

As Robo has stated so succinctly - Yes.

Physics is physics. When you have a length of anything, rope, whip or roller coaster cars, a small motion on one end is translated in a larger motion at the other end (unless there is some other force counteracting it). Think of Indy's whip. The quick flip of his wrist is enough to send the force down through 10 feet of rope to the point where they tip of the whip is traveling faster than the speed of sound - it's that mini sonic boom that causes the "crack" of a whip.
Similar thing happens on roller coasters, although obviously not as dramatic. Front car will always be the tamest, and unless there's some sort of inertial dampening system in place, the rear car will be a tad wilder.

And i agree that BTMR is the coaster for people who don't like coasters. The thrill is more related to centrifugal forces (spinning) rather than the rapid conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy (falling).

Physics! Super Cool!

Steve

Not at all. It is very smooth. The rocking of the cars makes it even more smooth. As I grew older, my neck cannot take jerky rides or I have to get to a chiropractor. The only ride I have issue with is Space Mountain.

As Robo has stated so succinctly - Yes.

Physics is physics. When you have a length of anything, rope, whip or roller coaster cars, a small motion on one end is translated in a larger motion at the other end (unless there is some other force counteracting it). Think of Indy's whip. The quick flip of his wrist is enough to send the force down through 10 feet of rope to the point where they tip of the whip is traveling faster than the speed of sound - it's that mini sonic boom that causes the "crack" of a whip.
Similar thing happens on roller coasters, although obviously not as dramatic. Front car will always be the tamest, and unless there's some sort of inertial dampening system in place, the rear car will be a tad wilder.

And i agree that BTMR is the coaster for people who don't like coasters. The thrill is more related to centrifugal forces (spinning) rather than the rapid conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy (falling).

Physics! Super Cool!

Steve
I hate anything that spins, with the exception of TSM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter