Is a $40 GC enough for souvenirs for a 6yo?

We did this with our kids when they were little. We gave them each a $50 card for their souvenirs. We didn't make them buy food or snacks with it. It really helped them slow down and think about whether or not they really wanted an item or not. I think if you aren't making them buy their snacks with it $50 is plenty.

My daughter actually rolled over her gift card to another trip...which was a year apart...

We gave our daughter a budget (who is 8) of a 75-100. Mostly that was things that she wanted that we had no desire to buy her (pins, toys, etc). She ended up with the Frozen II Advent Calendar (60 dollars), Wishables (10), pin (10), and customize your own lego mini figure 11.99. (That budget was from loose change, allowance, gc, etc)

Then DH and I each bought her something super special that was not in her "budget"-In Germany I got her a mini ceramic doll tea set that is over the moon with it-her barbies are having a tea party now. (That was 25 dollars). DH bought her a kimono in Japan (because he LOVES them). He actually bought himself a matching one. Again, completely unexpected but super special to her. They were 50 dollars.

We have decided to give our 2 kids (theyre 6) money in an envelope for each of our 5 park days. And like others if they don’t spend it, it will roll over for the next day. We are on the dining plan so any snacks will come out of the DDP. They can also get one “special” thing that will not come out of their envelope money. We thought about GCs but I don’t think my kids will understand how that works. I also already have Mickey ears and autograph books for arrival day.

We have four kids so the costs add up quick.

Our solution was:

-each kid gets one hat/mouse ears
-each kid gets a pin for the "special event" (we usually go for the MVMCP or other special event) plus one pin of their choice

If we happen to have a larger budget that trip, they might also get one additional souvenir. We don't necessarily put a price limit on it, but our kids know to be reasonable.

It would be fine for my kids. Last trip was 8 days, they were 11, 9, 6 and 4. They got $30 GC from my sister for their birthday. They all had $ left. We had the dining plan so they got snacks. We aren’t big shoppers. Next trip I’m not sure if we’ll buy any souvenirs.

If you're not coming back for awhile, go a bit higher. Also, some kids honestly don't care about stuff that much vs the time you're spending with them right!

Is that the only money she will have for souvenirs or will you be buying things as well?
Nothing wrong with teaching a 6 year old thoughtful spending, it's a valuable skill that will serve her well as she goes through life. Let her look at items, explain to her that she has $40 and once it's gone then it's gone and not to buy the first thing she sees, it will still be there at the end of the trip if she really wants it, but, she might see something she wants more.
Saying no to a child isn't cruel, giving them everything so it lessens the value is worse.

If you're not coming back for awhile, go a bit higher. Also, some kids honestly don't care about stuff that much vs the time you're spending with them right!

So long as the time is spend focusing on the child rather than checking your facebook and instagram 'likes' at every opportunity for the photos you post through out your holiday

A different take on this...

My son was 4.5 on our last trip. He had an unlimited amount of money for souvenirs, i.e. he could have anything he wanted. We went in a ton of shops, looked at thousands of items. Most of the items he chose for himself were in the $10-$15 range, with the exception of a Baymax plush. The items that he picked for himself (a "slap bracelet", a bag of gems, and Baymax) probably came to a grand total of $50 for the entire trip. There were items that I wanted to him to have or be interested in, and he was happy to receive them and play with them, but they were not items that he actually decided that he wanted on his own.

You know your child better than anyone, and you know what kind of things they are generally interested in when given the option to choose for themselves. I think a budget of $75-$100 would be sufficient, if you are looking to put an actual price in place. Make sure you are comfortable with the amount and are not stretching yourself too thin. Either way, you will all have a great time and many memories to cherish for a lifetime!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter