"Is ABD worth the $$$?" Discussion thread

Money plenty well spent

DS and DD are same ages as yours which probably allowed for a deeper appreciation of the culture side than the younger kids who seemed to have a blast in their own way too.

One note about expectations, we liked the pacing but you move, which also helps to have older kids. In fact, first thing we learned in each country was how to say "let's go" in the local language. Everyone kept up and held up fine but it makes one want to return especially - have to say - to Eze just to wander the streets, shops and gardens smelling those spices floating up from the market at the bottom of the hill. That is a place to get lost, explore and linger. Guides kept saying "its a buffet, come back for what you like." Yes please.

Cousin O. has a point about the food. The guides surveyed the group on day 1 about what everyone looked forward to the most. Many said the food in France and Italy. Similar survey at the end on highlights and not one vote for the food. (But is it the choice of restaurants or has America caught up with Europe on fine cuisine?)

The eateries were well chosen especially for location. For example, lunch on the roof of the Fairmont in Monte Carlo overlooking the mega-yachts was way more memorable for the view than the cheeseburgers (at $90, the least expensive menu item, rich indeed). Actually, the tastiest meal was the self-made pizza at the lemon farm in Amalfi despite the authentic farm smell. Super fresh olive oil, tomatoes and cheese, 3 min in the oven and then well, this is not pizza as we know it.

No complaints about the food, perfectly enjoyable but when you have just seen the David (avoiding a 2 hour line), maybe the next meal any where would not compare. Europeans eat meals for hours. Too much ground to cover for a true foodie experience.

Sometime it be that way.

Enjoy

:yay:
Adding to the solo female traveler love for ABD. I'm not chicken (traveled to New York alone for a week without a tour group just 3 months ago, for example) but ABD just makes travel easy. And when visiting a foreign country for the first time it's simply prudent to have people who are familiar with things backing you up. Solo or group. Why spend money and have what could be a difficult and disappointing trip when you can spend the extra money and know they'll be virtually no hassle?

I agree. I am a female traveler and I have traveled extensively in the past with friends and family, and more recently to WDW, Hawaii and other places by myself. The trouble is, I am getting older now and getting back to Europe is a little more daunting then when I was much younger. I hate to spend the single traveler extra amount but I like the idea of traveling worry free, with a group of fun individuals that I have something in common with and with a company I know I can trust right off the bat. So I will tighten my belt for a while and Italy here I come!

DH and I have done two ABD trips; Ireland in 2008 and Barcelona in 2013. Sadly their prices have skyrocketed so much over the years that we can no longer afford to do any ABD trip. :(
We loved both trips, the guides and the experiences they brought to us were just wonderful. With that said, if you can afford to go - go!

after 2 abd trips, once with family and the other as a woman alone, the answer is a big yes. it is worth the money.

I have never taken a ABD trip, but I think that they are worth the money. I don't think you can put a price on the safe feeling many people say they feel when traveling with Disney. The idea of going out of the country can be very scary. My dream is to go to China, and I hope to someday do this with Abd.

Reason why it's worth the money
-You're always safe
-The Disney name can get you into exclusive places (you have to love that ABD sign)
-Hotels and transportation are planed for you
-No need to carry your own luggage
-And of course No One Does It Better Than Disney!

It's very hard to find a negative ABD review.

I've been watching ABD for years, and decided to pull the trigger yesterday. We are currently signed up for the Danube River Cruise. So, while I can't give BTDT information, I can explain why I'm ok with the pricing enough to want to try it.

We are seasoned travelers. Dh and I lived in Japan for 2 years. We've been to Europe, Africa, the South Pacific, and Asia, and done a range of organized tours to VRBO to backpacking and hostels. All were great trips, and one does not stand out as better or worse just on the amount of money spent or type of accommodations we had. Most of the trips were done pre-marraige or pre-kids, but we've also done a few large ones with all the kids.

That said, I work hard to be able to spend my money how I want. I also have a dh who is a bit of a snob when it comes to accommodations. And I am now schlepping around 4 kids, who are great travelers, but who increase the amount of organizational requirements more than 4 fold. :) And my parents like to travel with us. Finding accommodations, rental cars, etc, for 8 people can be challenging.

What makes the money worth it to me is that someone else is doing all the planning. I work full time and my kids are active in many sports and activities. Consequently, just getting through our day is an effort in organization. The time it would take me to research the best hotels for our large group, then find tours, arrange travel, etc, becomes overwhelming. Yes, it can be fun, but it can take some of the fun out of the trip as well. Then, once you get in country, it is me who is in charge of making sure we know how/when/where to go, where are we eating, when we are eating, and all the other details. Less work than work, but not by much. I'm looking forward to showing up in Budapest and letting ABD do everything. THAT will be a vacation in a truest sense.

Part of what sold me on the river cruise over other ABD's is the fact that we will not be changing hotels every day or two. And that most ports have evening free time built into them, so we can go roam about freely without the group if we want.

That said, we decided not to do the pre/post-cruise add on. We will probably do Prague on our own. For the price per person, I'm confident I can plan a few days in any given city, stay at a nice hotel, and have a great time. But me planning a comparable cruise experience, and then being able to fully relax and enjoy it? No way.

My biggest fear, and hope, is that we'll enjoy it so much we start looking at more ABD's. :)

I've been watching ABD for years, and decided to pull the trigger yesterday. We are currently signed up for the Danube River Cruise. So, while I can't give BTDT information, I can explain why I'm ok with the pricing enough to want to try it.

We are in the same boat. Looking for years... We travel a good amount in the states, but haven't hit europe with the kids. When are you booked? I am worried that this will spoil us for future trips.

It is worth it whether you love Disney or not. We did ours in conjunction with a Disney cruise with most stops in Italy. My husband (the non Disney fanatic) loved the all inclusiveness of it and not having to wait in a single line to see anything, including the David. I (Disney fanatic) loved our ABD tour guides and local guides and the exclusive pins they gave us :) I know it's pricey but for special occasions or for a completely worry free trip it's the way to go.

I totally agree with this! (Although I've never done the Southern California ABD. I grew up in So Cal, and still have family there, so haven't *quite* been able to justify this one.) But Europe? The American Southwest? Alaska? Oh, yes!

Sayhello

Trust me, you can justify it. On my Backstage magic trip there were 4 ladies (3 of whom were Lorie, Lori and Laurie) were from about 90 minutes away and regular Disneyland visitors.

Great info. We have been considering an ABD as my 7 year old DD really want to go to Italy and Paris.

I don't know much about ABD so I ordered their brochures, which arrived in the mail yesterday. I've been pouring over them since I ripped the envelope open! fantastic....amazing! We are looking at doing the UK and/or France (or possibly Italy) in 2018 or 2019 (when our youngest will be 8 or 9) and ABD very much appeals to us so here's hoping!

I have done one ABD trip, a stellar Adventure two years ago when they offered the Italian Signature trip. It was my first trip abroad, and it was my first time to travel with others for several days in a row. It was truly the adventure of a lifetime, and it was worth every, single penny we spent.

Last year we decided to compare ABD with another travel company that specialized in tours throughout Ireland and the UK. We booked a trip that took us from Dublin to Belfast to Edinburgh to Liverpool and then back to Dublin via Wales. We saw lots of places and lots of hotel rooms. The cost per person was way less, and the value for dollar spent was also way less in my mind. My best times on this other company trip were times spent away from the formal tour. The quality of the tour led sights and experiences was vastly less than what we received with Disney with one notable exception.

This other company also hired local guides to do the main points in each city. When we reached Edinburgh, we had a delightful local guide who had the entire bus laughing and interacting as we drove about. Seriously - this guide MADE being in Scotland feel truly special. We finished up the tour at the Castle, and my husband and I stopped him to chat for a few minutes.

Well, while we were talking, he told us that normally during the year he does quite a few tours, including the Disney tours which are some of his favorites. And it clicked for me then - no wonder Edinburgh had suddenly become my favorite point on the trip. It was dusted with a little Disney magic. ;-)

While we are exploring another travel company for 2016 - and it's solely for a specific itinerary - we have two ABD trips booked this year. All tour companies are different, but if Disney offers a trip to a place that's on your Iwannagothere list, I'd highly recommend them to take you on an Adventure. Disney does cost more than some of the other companies, but when it comes to value received for money spent - so far they win hands down for me.

This other company also hired local guides to do the main points in each city. When we reached Edinburgh, we had a delightful local guide who had the entire bus laughing and interacting as we drove about. Seriously - this guide MADE being in Scotland feel truly special. We finished up the tour at the Castle, and my husband and I stopped him to chat for a few minutes.

Well, while we were talking, he told us that normally during the year he does quite a few tours, including the Disney tours which are some of his favorites. And it clicked for me then - no wonder Edinburgh had suddenly become my favorite point on the trip. It was dusted with a little Disney magic. ;-)
Was it David by any chance? He's the normal local guide for the Scotland ABD and he's FABULOUS!

Sayhello

1) We have taken A LOT of tours for vacations.
2) In know Europe (Continental and lower UK) from my business trips, so we do solo trips for these and self-explore.
3) But, for other destinations, we do tours.
4) I have yet to feel unsafe in any tour.
5) The price of Disney Tours, to us, is excessive. (If you charge more, do it.)
6) We would NEVER tell others not to do them, just to check out alternatives.
7) There are a lot of good tour companies out there.
. . . your travel agent should have good recommendations
. . . there are "el cheapo" tours, all the way to "deluxe" and "upscale" tours

NOTE: In many countries, tours guides must be licensed and actually pass tests prior to licensing. So, the guides all know pretty much the same information and history.

1) We have taken A LOT of tours for vacations.
2) In know Europe (Continental and lower UK) from my business trips, so we do solo trips for these and self-explore.
3) But, for other destinations, we do tours.
4) I have yet to feel unsafe in any tour.
5) The price of Disney Tours, to us, is excessive. (If you charge more, do it.)
6) We would NEVER tell others not to do them, just to check out alternatives.
7) There are a lot of good tour companies out there.
. . . your travel agent should have good recommendations
. . . there are "el cheapo" tours, all the way to "deluxe" and "upscale" tours

NOTE: In many countries, tours guides must be licensed and actually pass tests prior to licensing. So, the guides all know pretty much the same information and history.
Just just curious--have you been on an ABD?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter