Is anyone cancelling a WDW trip or moving it up because of the early SWGE opening?

SWGE, to go or not to go during the opening month!?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You really think its a minority that are upset about this.........The issue is Disney promoted one date and people planned based on that.....and as Disney does that flipped the cart.

I really feel for those who aren't SW's fans and who booked Sept and Oct for lower crowds and who will now be in the eye of the storm.

Doug :goofy:
Totally agree! I am a star wars fan myself but not a packed-into-a-sardine type of fan. I want to see Star Wars Land in a reasonable condition, not confuse it with Black Friday.

We'll be there Sep 6-15. I'm not too worried about it. The staggered opening combined with that being the first week of school for most of the country will still discourage a ton of people from coming. I'm guessing the 1s and 2s on the crowd calendar will maybe increase to 2s and 3s.

Not a big deal.
Hope that you are right! Please, let you be right!

Well I was waiting on Eat to the Beat bands to come out in order to pick our dates for Food and Wine but with the onslaught of people who are going to be at the gates, we just bit the bullet and booked our DVC room before everything was gone.

I wonder if we are just over estimating the crowds. ??Granted the first few months will be crazier than normal as it’s the opening and that has been the case for all new lands. But it’s not like this is a temporary exhibit where fans Worldwide will be taking the once-in-a-lifetime chance treck to Mecca. I mean galaxies edge is not going away soon. Not all Star Wars diehards have the cash to now dump a couple grand for the opening months. I mean I know it will be crazy but I cannot see that every Star Wars fan at the same time will be coming that first month or two. I think most families wont plan a trip around coming to be the first to see this. Disney is such an expensive and more complicated trip to plan there’s so many other factors.
The thing is, SWGE isn't very big area. You only need a very small percentage of Star Wars fans to flood it, being that there are a lot of Star Wars fans out there. Even Pandora got flooded for some months when it opened, and that isn't even a Disney movie! I don't even think there are any Avatar fans despite the movie's success. WDW isn't that complicated a trip for a lot of populous States in the east coast where people can just drive there or even take the train!
Sorry, I'm just making myself and everybody else feel worse.

Trip already planned for last two weeks of August. We're DVC and coming from Canada, and we're going as everything is booked and paid for. Glad to be staying at the Boardwalk, cause we can walk and won't need to take transportation to Hollywood Studios.

Any thoughts on what time people will try and line up at the opening gate for Hollywood Studios on Aug 29?
Good thing you are staying at Boardwalk because the line will probably start there.

I’ve decided I can’t do anything about and am going to make the best of it. With them only having the one ride open and no FPs available for it I’m going into it knowing I won’t be able to ride it. I will try and get into the land and if I don’t that’s fine to. I think the one thing I’m excited about it now is trying the blue and green milk. Bring on the milk!!!

Disney does however have this posted on their site. I’m glad to see they are making people aware of how it may be, especially for those that have never been and don’t really preplan but do go on the site.

F461A8E8-3C71-47F5-BA27-50AE81CF38F7.jpeg

We are going Aug 19-24... I am not canceling but I'm still worried this is going to ruin what should have been a relatively lower crowd time.

We are going Aug 19-24... I am not canceling but I'm still worried this is going to ruin what should have been a relatively lower crowd time.

I honestly think you will be fine. It may start picking up but I really don't see people flooding in till the 27th or 28th. I don't mean to be negative but I really think all Disney parks are going to be overly busy for awhile!

I'll be there Sept 8-14 and hoping that the other areas of DHS will be less crowded. Fingers crossed :rotfl:It's still the beginning of the school year here in the NE so I'm hoping that will keep the crowds down. Maybe we'll even get a FOP FP and 7DMT lol...high hopes pixiedust:

I’m not canceling but I am wondering if I should knock a day or two off of our trip (currently 9 nights) to save some money. I had originally planned for 2 days at HS but if there are hours long lines just to get IN to Hollywood Studios we will end up skipping it altogether.

Tell your sil there's no fastpass for SWGE. Totally sucks.

I told her none in the beginning and only one ride, she said that was fine. Even if they did have fast passes by the time we go they won’t be easy to get and she thinks it’s just a breeze (she doesn’t even understand FoP. I’m just thinking don’t dump your boyfriends 4 year old son on me when you decide to go explore Galaxy’s Edge and it turns into a couple hours of just waiting to get in.

Weave a trip planed August 23-30, HS day on the 28th. Already booked early morning magic that day, im leaving it. Will extra crowds suck? Sure, but I don’t really feel like moving everything around, and if it’s busy we will deal. We try to to wait in lines that are to long so unless I’m going to Galaxy’s edge by myself we will skip opening day.

However I do expect the bus rides around that date to be long! We were on a bus for over 2 hours getting to the Osborn lights one night during the final year. I don’t expect this to be any less crowded then that.

I have a trip in October. I'm definitely not cancelling. I didn't care much either way about whether it would be open. Disney is a massive theme park that is always crowded. Everyone wants the park to have "more", but then when they offer more, people wish that "more" was just a little later so they don't have to deal with it. There's no winning.

I understand being frustrated and not wanting the crowds, but at the same time, I don't blame Disney one bit for this. I appreciate that they are a business and that they are also offering more to their customers. I'm excited for all the upcoming attractions at WDW, not just SWGE.
It’s not that they are opening new attractions. It’s that they have repeatedly said Fall. Why play games?? Just say when you plan to open it so ppl can plan accordingly.

It’s not that they are opening new attractions. It’s that they have repeatedly said Fall. Why play games?? Just say when you plan to open it so ppl can plan accordingly.

Eh, I don't think it's playing games. They're giving 6 months notice. That's longer than they've given before.

MOST people don't plan trips a year in advance. They are giving something BIG to a lot of people who have been waiting.

Again, it is a low percentage of people who are upset by this. Far more people are excited.

Because they are trying to control crowds, make people happy, and pad their bottom line on a multi-million dollar project?

Because it's almost impossible to say when you plan to open something that far in advance?

You act like Disney is sitting there evil laughing like "mwahahaha, I got them now!!!!"

Hello! We have a trip booked August 30 - September 8. With yesterday's news of the grand opening, I'm a little nervous that this is going to impact overall crowds that week? We go in September specifically for the low crowd levels. Do you think this is going to impact every park for the whole week or would it just be Hollywood Studios and mostly on the weekends? I don't really care if we get a FP for the Star Wars ride--we aren't big fans or anything. Thoughts?

I just made an account so I could post about my disappointment in this announcement. I have been planning our 'once in a lifetime' trip for over a year. I managed to get Pop Century with free dining for Sept. 13-23rd. Now I am 95% sure I am going to cancel it. I booked September specifically for the low crowds, which could now be some of the worst crowds the park has ever seen. We are not Star Wars fans, and want nothing to do with the crowds that this will cause across the resort. I am totally devastated and I really don't know when we might even try to re-book.
I totally get it. We are booked the week later for a family trip for our niece's first visit so no way we will disappoint her. And we wouldn't be able to rebook our DVC room.
For what it is worth, I was unexpectedly there during Pandora opening day. We avoided it the first day and went the second at rope drop and then left. It was busy but not horrible. I hope SWGE will be the same.

I'm booked to be there 8/11-8/20, and even I am worried people will move their trips now to coincide with mine, there will be "soft opening" or media previews, etc. I know I know its not as bad as being there for opening, or month of September. it just stinks what was a low crowd time could potentially be swarms of people. :sad2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter