Is anyone considering postponing a trip?

We are postponing our March trip, despite going to Disney parks 3 times in 2021 (WDW for 8 nights in March, DL for 6 nights in July and WDW Nov 6-29).

Our last trip was a long one and was finally the trip that we caught COVID. I know we got it there because we arrived on Nov 6, did not leave property at all, and one of my kids came down with symptoms the night before check out on Nov 28 and then I was already feeling sick before we left property after check out the next day on the 29th. We followed all mask rules and even wore our masks in outdoor lines where it wasn't required, but we did eat at the food courts and a few restaurants. I thought it was just a bad cold, but after 10 days of having a fever, I decided I better get tested because if it wasn't COVID then I probably had an infection or something. It has been 3 weeks and I am still coughing and generally not feeling well, so I've decided it is not worth it again (On the flip side, my husband who is older than me did not get any symptoms what so ever. Go figure) For the record, none of us are vaccinated and we would probably not postpone if we were.

As far as the recent park changes, we did not use Genie or LL and the parks were super crowded, but we rode most of the big rides during the fireworks when things like SDMT and Space Mountain were a walk-on and also did some deluxe EMH nights and a Christmas party night. Since we go every year and it was a long trip, we basically took our time and only rode rides when lines were very manageable so we did not have to worry about paying extra for Genie. So we probably wouldn't postpone because of that either, unless it was a short trip and then we might just pay the money for Genie.

We had a Christmas week trip planned and last night we decided to cancel. Tbh, it was all about Covid. I just didn't like the idea of being squashed inside rides with a bunch of people. I definitely feel relief but sadness since I haven't been to Orlando since December of 2019. I even had tickets for the December 21st Christmas Party which I'm still trying to get Disney on the phone about! (Wait times have been crazy!) I figure Disney will be there for next time and hopefully a little better!

We've got a Mid Feb trip planned, but will be talking with our traveling party (6 adults) at xmas about possible timeframes in March or April. There is someone unvaccinated in the group and I just can't imagine having to deal with it if they were to get sick while we were there. Given we have to pay our balance in mid-January, I can't imagine we'd feel better then as compared to now about going (and likely worse).

We canceled our post new year trip this week. Couldn’t bear the risk with 2 young ones given the recent surge. Hopeful this new surge dies down quick. We’ll try again in March

The number of break thru cases concerns me. We are at home right now with two vaccinated 20 somethings staying with us with break thru COVID-19 cases which means a quarantine Christmas for all of us, and DH and I distancing from the 20 somethings to the extent that we can. One was not eligible to get the booster shot yet. The other actually had a booster short scheduled for this past Monday, but came down with symptoms on Sunday so had to postpone. They seem to be improving, but both will miss at least a week of work, maybe two. So far DH seems fine, and I hoping I'm sparred too (have a cold symptoms now (guessing it's probably a mild COVID infection too, but I haven't been tested yet) and am taking generic "Dayquil" and with that I am feeling just fine. (DH and I were recently eligible to get boosters and got them -- mine was just two weeks ago). I work from home full time and DH is retired.

I've talked to my 85 year old dad (vaccinated with booster shot too) as he and I have a trip planned in March. I just wanted to let him know that if he has concerns at all about our trip and doesn't want to go, that I'm fine with whatever he decides. We have always wanted to go to Epcot Flower and Garden (have never been) and are planning to do that in March. Life is short and this has been super fun for us to plan together. We also have relatives in Tampa and Orlando we will visit. We will play it by ear, but Dad is still keen to go and we are still planning on it right now at least. He says he has 85 good year under his belt that he is very thankful for and what comes / happens, happens. (We have a condo -- means we can do meals in and take out, will be doing outdoor things mostly, will be wearing masks when needed for social distancing, etc.). Of course we are hoping things improve by then.

It seems like these days that it's a really fine line between being prudent / cautious and living your life to the fullest (doing things you love that give you joy and visiting people you love). And it's not an easy choice about what to do sometimes. Everyone has to make their own choices and live with those.

I did just order some N95 masks in case we want those for the March trip for even more safety. We've been using cloth ones. I bought ones that per reviews / comments were easier for breathing than some brands, but still it said they were heavy / bulky for all day use. What I hear about heavy duty masks is that if they are too uncomfortable and people take it off for breaks, etc. that it's probably not as good for long use as the cloth ones that we are comfortable keeping over nose and mouth for long periods. I haven't tried an N95 one yet, but will test one out when they come in and see what I think.

Having break thru cases with kids you love and care about right in your own home though really hits home that risks are certainly still out there.

Have a blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone.

Last edited:
We are supposed to check in on Monday but now we are having second thoughts. We've got a room-only reservation and were supposed to cancel 5 days before arrival to get our deposit back, but we're 4 days before arrival now. Has anyone had luck canceling this close to arrival date and getting the deposit back? (I realize I could call to ask a CM, but since we're still waffling, I don't want to spend the time on hold till we know for sure that we want to cancel, and the cost of that deposit is playing a role in our decisionmaking.)

We are supposed to check in on Monday but now we are having second thoughts. We've got a room-only reservation and were supposed to cancel 5 days before arrival to get our deposit back, but we're 4 days before arrival now. Has anyone had luck canceling this close to arrival date and getting the deposit back? (I realize I could call to ask a CM, but since we're still waffling, I don't want to spend the time on hold till we know for sure that we want to cancel, and the cost of that deposit is playing a role in our decisionmaking.)

If you modify your dates to a future date, you will not lose your deposit.

We're between a rock and a hard place. We have a group of 24. I don't think there's anyway we can reschedule everyone to the same dates, so if we postpone it will really be canceling this big family trip and likely have to be postponed for at least a year due to schedules. At the sane time, I'm a bit nervous. But also, everything I see says "we don't really know yet" so I don't know what to do. And we're 18 days away 😭

We had a UO/IOA trip booked for this past week, but we rescheduled for April. Hoping my kids will be double vaxxed and adults will be boosted by then. It's another small, Zoom family holiday this year, but we're making the best of it. Turkey and stuffing in the oven, fruit tart done, and presents wrapped.

We have a week long trip planned starting January 9th. Its our soon to be 7 year old's Christmas surprise so I would hate for something to mess that up. When we made our plans, Covid looked like it was calming down some (even though I suspected some increase after the holidays). I'm not going to lie, this new omicron variant has me a bit nervous as to whether or not we should push it out a few more months just to see what happens. My husband is adamant that we stay the course and go as planned. We have stayed pretty cautious the entire pandemic but we have still lived our lives. We plan to drive instead of fly and we will most likely wear masks anywhere that is crowded; both indoor and outdoor. We don't plan on doing any table service meals at the parks (but we don't do a lot of that in normal times either because it takes so much time out of the day). I'm hoping the week we go won't be terribly busy even though the marathon is wrapping up the weekend we arrive. We are planning Legoland on Monday and Disney parks the rest of the week when crowds are hopefully lower. Also, hoping that Genie+ will help alleviate some of the standing in long lines for extended periods. Hoping for the best but also tempering expectations a little bit as well.

We are a group of 12 going the same time and I see there are others who are, too. We were supposed to go last year and cancelled. DVC looks completely booked, so I'm not thinking it will be less crowded. We are driving down, so I'm hoping that will keep us somewhat safe. Bringing all the precautions and KN95 masks for adults and kids. Only a two-year-old not vaccinated. A SIL is unvaxed but staying in separate place and flying in from a different state with DD.

Last week, a co-worker took her 3 children - only one vaccinated - to WDW. Pediatrician was not concerned but suggested KN95 masks for all, so she did. They only went to MK and E and barely any rides (Small World and MS... :oops:). Dined in Space 220 and breakfast at Topolinos. So far, they've been home a few days and okay. They flew both ways.

It seems like these days that it's a really fine line between being prudent / cautious and living your life to the fullest (doing things you love that give you joy and visiting people you love). And it's not an easy choice about what to do sometimes. Everyone has to make their own choices and live with those.

Absolutely! We had our 29 yo son and wife unable to come to Xmas (they live 4 hours away) due to her breakthrough case. He has not tested positive at this point (a week since she's felt poorly/tested +) and are hoping to gather next weekend.

We have a trip with them + 26 yo & his SO in mid Feb and aren't sure we should do it. My D-i-L will be very well protected, and we are vaxxed+boosted, but the rest are between unvaxxed and double vaxxed. We have to pay our balance (3 rooms, 6 people) in Mid Jan and I'm just not sure we'll know enough by then. We were *going* to talk about alternate dates at Xmas but since we all didn't get to be together, that's a conversation still to be had.

Other than August of 2020 when a number of friends had kids go back to college and get covid, we've heard more instances of covid in the last week than any other time.

We discussed our trip at Christmas and this is exactly what we talked about. My parents, in their 70s, said they want to continue to plan to go knowing that it's a risk but we are taking as many precautions as possible. They ordered N95 masks, and we had already decided to fly first class in order to not be in as close quarters with people. We figure we can be flexible on our trip and if ever it starts to feel too crowded or unsafe we can leave where we are and go do something else, even if that something else is wandering the grounds of a resort. We will have a great time no matter what because of the people we're there with, it just might not be quite the great time we expected to have, but with all of us vaccinated and boosted and no one getting any younger...🤷‍♀️ Now, that thought may change as we get closer, but that's where we are right now, and I'm finally starting to let myself get excited!

This thread has been cleaned up. One final reminder re: Covid discussion policies. Discussions that go against this policy will cause the thread to be closed permanently and points awarded.

From this point on, we will welcome information on COVID policies RELATED TO TRAVEL. Things like the vaccination policies issued by venues or destinations, the cleaning or distancing procedures in use, practical tips for travelers or things they might need to know that are different from location to location are all valid topics. Any official policies issued by Disney, other travel destinations, cruise lines, airlines, etc. regarding requirements for visiting parks or cruising can be shared. This information needs to be on-topic for the specific forum and thread where posted.

We will NOT welcome debate or opinion about medical, scientific, or political aspects of the pandemic. There are a few often repeated trigger items that won’t be allowed: No statistics about infection rates, no ranting about individual rights, no “face-diaper” comments, no debate about whether vaccinations or masking are effective, no discussions about which governor or politician or news personality did or said what.

In summary: COVID related discussion should be limited to actual policy and practical application, and NOT veer into opinion or debate.

We understand that you may be passionate in your opinions on this topic and want to discuss or debate them, and appreciate your understanding that there are more appropriate places than the DISboards to do that.

Thank you,
DISboards Administrators

Same. Had BWV Jan 1-6.

QUOTE="tentaguasu, post: 63575255, member: 41334"]
I had a trip planned for next week, but we cancelled and rescheduled for May. I suspect everything will be fine, but next week is still just too much uncertainty for me. Too early to have more information. We're all very disappointed, but it was the right decision for us.
[/QUOTE]

We have a week long trip planned starting January 9th. Its our soon to be 7 year old's Christmas surprise so I would hate for something to mess that up. When we made our plans, Covid looked like it was calming down some (even though I suspected some increase after the holidays). I'm not going to lie, this new omicron variant has me a bit nervous as to whether or not we should push it out a few more months just to see what happens. My husband is adamant that we stay the course and go as planned. We have stayed pretty cautious the entire pandemic but we have still lived our lives. We plan to drive instead of fly and we will most likely wear masks anywhere that is crowded; both indoor and outdoor. We don't plan on doing any table service meals at the parks (but we don't do a lot of that in normal times either because it takes so much time out of the day). I'm hoping the week we go won't be terribly busy even though the marathon is wrapping up the weekend we arrive. We are planning Legoland on Monday and Disney parks the rest of the week when crowds are hopefully lower. Also, hoping that Genie+ will help alleviate some of the standing in long lines for extended periods. Hoping for the best but also tempering expectations a little bit as well.

So- we ended up postponing our trip after all; but for a non-covid health situation with a family member. I don't feel comfortable being so far away from home right now without a guarantee that I can get back quickly (all the flight delays are worrisome). It is disappointing for sure; but we are going to try again in May. And in all actuality, a May trip might even work out better for us all the way around. We made the decision right before Christmas so my son is at least not disappointed by having to move it out some (my husband on the other hand....).

I won't be postponing because DVC points will go into holding. I'm boosted but I might not bring along my mother (also boosted but 86 yo). It's not until end of January though.

We were just there 12/7-11 and had a great time, no one got sick, not even a cold (and I have a toddler who touches everything). The issues with flights would worry me though, I wouldn't want to be stuck with kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter