Is anyone considering postponing a trip?

I cancelled my October trip. Nothing to do with Covid, More to do with Disney’s response to it and getting less for mor money. I see they are adding things back but not up to 100%. I have already planned a replacement trip and have new reservations; Universal, New Orleans and The Keys.

My upcoming trip in early October will probably be the most worry-free since the pandemic. Our household all got Covid ba.5 two weeks ago, and are 100% recovered now.

In ten major vacations in the pandemic era - 8 to Disney, 1 to Michigan, and another to Gatlinburg for a week, plus four big solo trips for my husband to Vegas and Florida Speed Weeks, none of us ever got Covid. Then my son picks it up at day hab just a couple of days after we got our second boosters. So we got Covid doing absolutely nothing, go figure.

It will be so nice to enjoy Disney without the nagging worry of bringing the virus home. I guess there is always the possibility of a radical new variant emerging; that will never go away. But for now we are about as protected as we can get, knock wood.

edited to add trips I forgot
Confused as to why it would it would be worry-free?

Last edited:
We got back Sunday (8/7) from a 6 night trip with a bonus 7th night in Atlanta because we missed our flight home due to a flight delay on the first leg…

This trip was postponed in May 2020 (shutdown) and then again in August 2021 (due to personal reasons unrelated to Covid). We decided after 2+ years, we were ready to go for it.

We haven’t tested but none of us (DH, myself, 6 year old son) have any Covid symptoms.

We moved yesterday and I was really concerned about catching Covid at Disney and having our move derailed. We are just moving within our city, so it wouldn’t have been the end of the world to postpone, but we really didn’t want it to come to that. As far as I know, I’ve never had Covid but my son starts school in a few days, so I’m pretty sure that’ll change soon.

We wore KN95s indoors other than while eating. We did 3 table service restaurants. At 2 of them, we had reservations at the opening time of the restaurant (LTT and 50s Prime Time) and happened to not be seated close to anyone else. My son really wanted to do CRT so I just crossed my fingers at that one. At QS locations and in the club lounge, we just tried to sit in a corner or as far from others as we could.

We waited in 2 attraction queues for more than 15 min - 35 min at Frozen and 55 at Ratatouille. Again, crossing our fingers.

Obviously, a bit of luck is involved, but I don’t think the precautions we took hurt at all.

I’m sorry to those of you who have gotten sick at Disney. I’ve had a regular cold at Disney before, many years ago, and it’s such a bummer when you don’t feel well on vacation. I hope those of you who have been sick recently are healing well!!

I guess we decided we’re keeping our trip in 3 weeks. We hadn’t gotten our 2nd boosters even tho we’re both eligible. We were planning to wait for the new variant specific one due out this fall. But we went & got the regular booster this week. Should be as effective as possible when we’re there. 🤞🏻 We are staying club level & like to do a lot of table service meals. But if we feel uncomfortable, we’ll pull back & hang out at the resort more. I’m a retired RN & DH leaves it up to me to decide on masking or activities. We’ll definitely be wearing KN95s on the plane & probably indoors at attractions as we did on all our other trips.

I guess we decided we’re keeping our trip in 3 weeks. We hadn’t gotten our 2nd boosters even tho we’re both eligible. We were planning to wait for the new variant specific one due out this fall. But we went & got the regular booster this week. Should be as effective as possible when we’re there. 🤞🏻 We are staying club level & like to do a lot of table service meals. But if we feel uncomfortable, we’ll pull back & hang out at the resort more. I’m a retired RN & DH leaves it up to me to decide on masking or activities. We’ll definitely be wearing KN95s on the plane & probably indoors at attractions as we did on all our other trips.

This is similar to our plans. My family has taken some trips during Covid but my mother hasn't gone anywhere due to health concerns. She really wants a family trip to Disney and after all this time, I don't want her to miss out when we never know what's around the corner. She got a booster last week. This will be the first flights any of us have taken during Covid and will mask with KN95s on the plane and all indoor attractions. We have planned 3 park days, 5 resort days just to hang at the Grand Floridian pool and a day at Typhoon Lagoon. Worst case if it seems too crazy we'll cancel our park plans and hang at the resort pool more. Figure that's a nice vacation no matter what and they have poolside activities and games my son will also enjoy. My biggest back and forth is about the restaurants. We're fine with counter service, I mostly worry it will be boiling hot to eat outside. The indoor meals provide an air conditioned break and it always make a big difference during the summer heat. So I have a few adrs booked and figure same thing, we can always cancel. It's a tough call both ways and trying to maximize our enjoyment within a reasonable safety standard.

This is similar to our plans. My family has taken some trips during Covid but my mother hasn't gone anywhere due to health concerns. She really wants a family trip to Disney and after all this time, I don't want her to miss out when we never know what's around the corner. She got a booster last week. This will be the first flights any of us have taken during Covid and will mask with KN95s on the plane and all indoor attractions. We have planned 3 park days, 5 resort days just to hang at the Grand Floridian pool and a day at Typhoon Lagoon. Worst case if it seems too crazy we'll cancel our park plans and hang at the resort pool more. Figure that's a nice vacation no matter what and they have poolside activities and games my son will also enjoy. My biggest back and forth is about the restaurants. We're fine with counter service, I mostly worry it will be boiling hot to eat outside. The indoor meals provide an air conditioned break and it always make a big difference during the summer heat. So I have a few adrs booked and figure same thing, we can always cancel. It's a tough call both ways and trying to maximize our enjoyment within a reasonable safety standard.

I felt similarly to you. I went in with 2 ADRs that my son really wanted and planned to do outdoor QS and the club lounge for the rest. We ended up doing 3 indoor QS meals and an additional table service meal that I got same day. The heat was just too much for me. As much as I wanted to avoid Covid, I reminded myself that getting overheated isn’t healthy either. Getting inside to eat some really helped me feel better when it was so hot. It is a really tough balance though!!

I felt similarly to you. I went in with 2 ADRs that my son really wanted and planned to do outdoor QS and the club lounge for the rest. We ended up doing 3 indoor QS meals and an additional table service meal that I got same day. The heat was just too much for me. As much as I wanted to avoid Covid, I reminded myself that getting overheated isn’t healthy either. Getting inside to eat some really helped me feel better when it was so hot. It is a really tough balance though!!

100%, I'm leaving the options open for now and see how crazy hot it is while there. My friend just got heat stroke while on vacation (not at WDW), I don't want that experience any more than I want covid.

This is the approach we will be taking. Although I do worry that since we have a long trip - 10 days - that we have way higher likelihood of picking something up. My anxiety is making it hard to be excited about the upcoming trip.

Confused as to why it would it would be worry-free?

I'm not the original poster, but I believe it's because they know their immunity will be the highest because they just had COVID. I had COVID in May and I've had the most carefree summer compared to 2020 and 2021. The concern for traveling and contracting COVID while still on your trip is valid (impact of time, money, and feeling crappy on your vacation). Also, having recent immunity makes questions like "is this safe enough" or "should I be wearing a mask" kind of irrelevant.

We go to WDW in November and we're trying to figure out what makes the most sense (boosters, masks, etc) since it'll be 6 months after my covid. DH hasn't had it (that we know of).

My upcoming trip in early October will probably be the most worry-free since the pandemic. Our household all got Covid ba.5 two weeks ago, and are 100% recovered now.
I totally agree! This will be our first trip after getting Covid recently (doing nothing). I think it will make an actual difference in my behavior and how I can deal with the crowds. It will be the most worry-free for me, for sure.

IDK.....
I'm not the original poster, but I believe it's because they know their immunity will be the highest because they just had COVID. I had COVID in May and I've had the most carefree summer compared to 2020 and 2021. The concern for traveling and contracting COVID while still on your trip is valid (impact of time, money, and feeling crappy on your vacation). Also, having recent immunity makes questions like "is this safe enough" or "should I be wearing a mask" kind of irrelevant.

We go to WDW in November and we're trying to figure out what makes the most sense (boosters, masks, etc) since it'll be 6 months after my covid. DH hasn't had it (that we know of).
IDK.... My experience lately has taught me to keep on being cautious....I'm in the middle of trying to get over Covid now, my BIL who already had it in June has it again now too (our whole family group that got together last week has it). This is making me seriously rethink any upcoming plans for now (this is not fun)

IDK.....

IDK.... My experience lately has taught me to keep on being cautious....I'm in the middle of trying to get over Covid now, my BIL who already had it in June has it again now too (our whole family group that got together last week has it). This is making me seriously rethink any upcoming plans for now (this is not fun)

Oh I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know anyone personally who has had it twice at all, let alone so close together. As I mentioned, we've been much more relaxed after my Covid in May. Prior to that I was always masking, etc. But we've been to indoor events (hockey games, concerts, breweries, private indoor gatherings, outdoor concerts, indoor restaurants, etc) that we had not done for 2 years.

At this point, we just have to decide if/when we'd get the booster. It's pointless to think about what things will be like in early November (our trip) because no one knows. So basically the first decision is if we want boosters and then if so, when to schedule them. And we've got time for that too.

I totally agree! This will be our first trip after getting Covid recently (doing nothing). I think it will make an actual difference in my behavior and how I can deal with the crowds. It will be the most worry-free for me, for sure.
We had to reschedule our trip for a month later because we got it and while I didn't like that at the time it definitely made it more enjoyable. Especially the restaurant part. Hope it feels the same for you :) It was my first visit since the pandemic started and it was absolutely amazing!

My daughter had covid in January. Three weeks ago, myself, my husband and her fiance came down with it. She catches everything but didn't get sick with us. There must be some immunity from having had it already. ;) ;)

So glad we got it now and not in FL during our Universal stay and Disney Wish cruise! :cool1:

Hopefully I'm not jinxing it because we've only been back 2.5 days but so far we don't have any Covid symptoms. I'm immune compromised and my husband is high risk. We were going to just wear masks while indoors and in crowds but it was so much busier than we expected, we ended up wearing them outdoors almost the entire time because we just couldn't get away from people. There are people coughing I really think have covid. At one point we were in line for the skyliner and the family behind me were not socially distant. The mom had a deep cough and told her kids her voice was weird because it was hard to swallow. The parents had masks but were wearing them on their wrists! Luckily we were not paired to ride with them, I would have said something to the cast member. We were on the lookout for them the rest of the day at Epcot, they were not too far behind us in some lines. We weren't going to eat indoors but that heat was brutal! We ended up eating indoors a few times if we could find a table in a corner away from people (Columbia Harbor House was a good place to do this upstairs if you got there early). It made the heat so much worse to wear a mask but it was worth it not to get sick.

Hopefully I'm not jinxing it because we've only been back 2.5 days but so far we don't have any Covid symptoms. I'm immune compromised and my husband is high risk. We were going to just wear masks while indoors and in crowds but it was so much busier than we expected, we ended up wearing them outdoors almost the entire time because we just couldn't get away from people. There are people coughing I really think have covid. At one point we were in line for the skyliner and the family behind me were not socially distant. The mom had a deep cough and told her kids her voice was weird because it was hard to swallow. The parents had masks but were wearing them on their wrists! Luckily we were not paired to ride with them, I would have said something to the cast member. We were on the lookout for them the rest of the day at Epcot, they were not too far behind us in some lines. We weren't going to eat indoors but that heat was brutal! We ended up eating indoors a few times if we could find a table in a corner away from people (Columbia Harbor House was a good place to do this upstairs if you got there early). It made the heat so much worse to wear a mask but it was worth it not to get sick.
Given the timing of the current wave, it's probably more likely it's a residual cough from already having covid.

FTR, there are many, many conditions that cause coughs besides covid. Smoking, emphysema, GERD, asthma, side effect of medications, to name a few.

As of right now I guess I can say I'm on a permanent hiatus from WDW rather than postponing. I don't like all the changes, cutbacks, increases, excessive use of smartphone for everything, theme changes and etc. For me, it's just not worth my time, energy, or value for my money. It is quite obvious there are many more who love these changes such as LL, Genie+, IL$$ and etc. and don't feel the same way as I do. My time in the sun has come and gone and it's time for the next wave of WDW fans to take their place. I'll admit, I'm kind of sad and never thought I'd get to this place, but it is where I am at. I still love Disney, just not the parks, but I have now found a new love for DCL and a few other cruise lines as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter