Is anyone else cutting back on spending this Christmas?

Cutting back and being much less creative. Lots of challenges this year -- I just had a knee replacement, DF is ill, DDIL's father is ill, and I'm just out of ideas. Everyone I buy for has nothing on their Amazon lists, and I'm just not feeling it. I've already warned the family and our grown kids.

Cutting back and being much less creative. Lots of challenges this year -- I just had a knee replacement, DF is ill, DDIL's father is ill, and I'm just out of ideas. Everyone I buy for has nothing on their Amazon lists, and I'm just not feeling it. I've already warned the family and our grown kids.

Lovesmurfs: I'm so sorry you are experiencing all that illness and problems at this time. I guess I would just go with small gift cards if that is an option and let them buy something. Surely they would understand why.
One year, when I was l3, my Dad was in the hospital, my grandpa was in the hospital dying, and my Mom was trying to hold it all together while working full time. My brother and I got one present each, and we never felt left out because of it. I got an Elvis LP, and I still have it to this day, LOL. So, just take care of yourself and family and don't worry about others gifts, if you can.
Hope all is better soon.

Its the "stuff" that I do not like - so I am going with the "Nothing Says Christmas Like Cash" again. This will be my third year of cash to all cousins kids - amount depends on age -
or the option of an experience with me - a day at a museum, spa, zoo, concert, play etc.

And I have asked all the cousins to not get me anything.

We cut back with extended family a couple years ago, and it's been a positive.

We've always done Christmas big for our children, and we still do that.

My husband and I last year agreed that we're doing two things for each other for Christmas: a stocking for Christmas morning and planning of a weekend trip, which will be revealed on Christmas morning (the trip can be any time over the course of the next year).

I was just wondering if others are cutting back too, and can give us any tips to save this Christmas.
Don't wait until Christmas day (or even the week before) to let people know you're going to make a change.
Taking a cruise that leaves the day after Christmas. My line of work is booming.
Not to be negative, but we went on a cruise once for Thanksgiving, and I'll never cruise on a holiday again. It was the most expensive cruise we've ever taken, and the ship was crowded. I hope your experience will be different.
I've tried to talk my husband into just renting a large beach house and having family for Christmas, with no gift giving.
I could go for the beach house idea ... or a mountain cabin.
I'm trying to talk my husband's side of the family into doing an adults-only weekend away for Valentine's Day instead of Christmas. We live about 4 hours apart, and now that grandchildren are in the mix, we don't get to spend time together like we used to -- the kids are the focus.

Being newly retired --- the Christmas budget was readjusted.
I went to three gifts per grandchild.
So each grandchild is getting the traditional PJ's, an ornament & gift card or a toy.
My children, we are working on a Disney trip in 2022.
Going forward -- planning a family vacation vs presents.
I am not into being stressed during the holidays any longer.

Being newly retired --- the Christmas budget was readjusted.
I went to three gifts per grandchild.
So each grandchild is getting the traditional PJ's, an ornament & gift card or a toy.
My children, we are working on a Disney trip in 2022.
Going forward -- planning a family vacation vs presents.
I am not into being stressed during the holidays any longer.
That sounds good, nrsldy! My husband retired last year and we have cut down with grandkids gifts too. You are right about the stress level. I feel much more relaxed this year as I order the grandkids gifts on line:)

Same! I dread that part of my Christmas Day has always included me making a pile of brand new items to send to Salvation Army because we were given things we didn’t need or want.

Same. I got roasted years back for saying something similar here about the gifts that I get as a teacher. I'm super super grateful, write a lovely thank you note, and make sure that the student sees me using the mug or have the item displayed for the rest of that holiday season or school year but then I pack them up and every few years I donate. It's honestly stressful and makes me feel bad that they spent money on something that I won't keep or use for long but I am gifted around 10 mugs a year, stuffed animals, cute plaques with mottos or sayings. After 25 years, what could I possibly do with all of them. Add to that my small kitchen and modest home and I just don't have storage space. As my mom has aged, she also tends to give things that she deems "keepsakes" but they don't usually seem that way to me. Last year she gave us an expensive bottle of tequila and we made sure to rave. I love consumable gifts at this point.

WE cut back gifts over the course of a few years as our children became adults. It's honestly difficult to think of things for DS and DSIL as they are working adults. DD can always come up with things that she wants even though she also can buy what she wants now. We'll have our first grandchild next Christmas but I was just saying that now that DD and DSIL have moved back here, they want us to come to their house on Christmas morning so this will be the last year that I do stockings for them. I do extravagant stockings so that savings will cover baby gifts next year.

Every year, I try to cut back. Every year, I fail. It's a "me" problem--growing up, my mother hated Christmas, constantly complained about every aspect of it, and made all of us miserable. So, I try to make it up to my dad and my children by making our Christmases amazing extravaganzas. Logical me knows it makes no sense. Emotional me still does it.

Same. I got roasted years back for saying something similar here about the gifts that I get as a teacher. I'm super super grateful, write a lovely thank you note, and make sure that the student sees me using the mug or have the item displayed for the rest of that holiday season or school year but then I pack them up and every few years I donate. It's honestly stressful and makes me feel bad that they spent money on something that I won't keep or use for long but I am gifted around 10 mugs a year, stuffed animals, cute plaques with mottos or sayings. After 25 years, what could I possibly do with all of them. Add to that my small kitchen and modest home and I just don't have storage space. As my mom has aged, she also tends to give things that she deems "keepsakes" but they don't usually seem that way to me. Last year she gave us an expensive bottle of tequila and we made sure to rave. I love consumable gifts at this point.

WE cut back gifts over the course of a few years as our children became adults. It's honestly difficult to think of things for DS and DSIL as they are working adults. DD can always come up with things that she wants even though she also can buy what she wants now. We'll have our first grandchild next Christmas but I was just saying that now that DD and DSIL have moved back here, they want us to come to their house on Christmas morning so this will be the last year that I do stockings for them. I do extravagant stockings so that savings will cover baby gifts next year.

SKMom: I think you were very thoughtful and considerate of the students gifts each year. But, you are right, what can you do with so many items each year? I would do the same thing. It is so difficult to buy for grown children or grandkids when they buy what they want. The stocking idea sounds great.

We’re probably doubling what we spend this year….
We had a washing machine malfunction a few weeks back, and the two rooms that they had to empty out and put into storage (so they could remove carpet and dry out) were both essentially storage rooms…. Where all the toys were! :scared:

Can’t bring anything back until we get the flooring done downstairs, so guess we’ll be buying many of the gifts twice (and probably not on sale). But at least we’ll have a really good load for Toys for Tots next year!

Cutting back big time. It's getting beyond ridiculous on my spouses side of the family: more and more extended family members, many barely related, all expecting to exchange gifts and to get gifts for their growing number of kids.

It's just too much for me...I wasn't brought up in a gift-centric family or culture. We exchanged 1 modest gift and that was it. These piles of gifts per person and everyone buying for everyone else is very overwhelming to me.

I've gone along for years to keep the peace, but I decided to stop last year. We're nearing retirement and trying to save enough. We can't afford it anymore unless I want to work until I drop. And I really dislike shopping in general - it's not something I do for fun or relaxation.

I'd waste hours on the perfect gifts or gift cards to match each person's taste or wants, only to find no one even remembers what I got them or what anyone else got them. So I decided to "stop the insanity". Now the rest of the family calls me a grinch. Oh well :rolleyes1

I adore the season, the decorations, the family time, the bigger meaning of the holidays. I just hate the obligatory gift giving.

I love giving gifts when people least expect it - for no reason at all. Now THAT's fun.

We haven't really cut back but shifted what we bought more because we didn't want to worry about tangible gift shortages and whatnot so not as much Amazon/store purchases this year. So for some they got gift cards who may or may not have gotten one in the past. We actually opted for some SWA gift cards for a few people. They travel enough where that is something we knew they would at least use. The monetary amount we spent/spend isn't really that different. Some years it's more some years it's less, sorta depends on the gift. I know one year we all went in on a camera for mother-in-law. Last year we went in on echo dot speakers and then added some other things.

This is a slightly older thread but I do agree with the advice of letting everyone know what the plans are.

My parents are taking my family of 5 to Disney in March so that’s the bulk of their gift. We are paying for some of it as well, but will still get the kids something smallish for Christmas morning.

The wife and I are “giving” each other a bathroom renovation.

We draw names for nieces/nephews and my siblings so that we aren’t buying for everyone and put a spending limit on it as well.

Not to be negative, but we went on a cruise once for Thanksgiving, and I'll never cruise on a holiday again. It was the most expensive cruise we've ever taken, and the ship was crowded. I hope your experience will be different.
This will be my 4th New Year's cruise and have always had a great time. We did Disney Wonder NYE 2019 just before lock down and had a great time. We are doing the NCL Breakaway and my understanding is that they still aren't sailing at full capacity so we are hopeful for a similar great experience as the prior ones.

Our plan is less about saving money than it is about accumulating less stuff. DD is off to college soon, so we are thinking about downsizing in a couple years. I am trying to get rid of the garbage we have already accumulated and actively opposed to bringing any more things we don't need into this house.

Same here! It's hard to get the message across, though! So, my compromise is you can buy me Disney gift cards - can be reasonable $15 to whatever. This is something I enjoy. I don't need the money but it feels like a gift. The other is you can buy me consumables - coffee, foods you think I'll enjoy, stuff that won't be around collecting dust.

I'm slowly simplifying my home as well as upgrading it as time goes on. NO junk I will have to donate, throw out, that really won't be appreciated.

We are not cutting back our budget this year. We are doing things differently. We had a family meeting of sorts about a month ago. It was just my husband, my son 13, and my daughter 11. Long story short, we lost my mom over the summer to cancer. My mother's birthday is on Christmas Eve. We are not feeling like Christmas this year, but we decided to do our best to make my mom aka Grandma Julie proud...
We adopted two families for Christmas this year and are going to celebrate Grandma Julie by helping others. We told our extended family what we are doing and they completely accepted it. We asked for a toy for the adopted families instead of something for us.
Our kids will not go without. Santa will surely visit, but it will be more subdued than it has in the past.
Happy Holidays!

Gah. Now my SILs and MIL want to "meet halfway" (~2 1/2 hour drive) before Christmas to exchange gifts. I figured we'd just exchange when we met in January. I think our whole family would love to not gift (or do donation gifts), if not for my one SIL who insists on gifts to everyone (including stocking stuffers), and who is behind the pre-Christmas get-together. Sigh. Unreal.

ETA: I'm not going to be "that" in-law who cuts it all off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter