Is anyone else struggling being excited under circumstances?

LindaY

Earning My Ears
Please help me here. I’m 5 days away from our big surprise trip and with all the horrible suffering in the news of late I have gone totally flat about the trip. I’m wracked with guilt as try to work on details. I have so much to do and I’m paralyzed and can’t do a thing. Are any of you also struggling with this? If so, how are you getting past it?

Honestly? As bad as it sounds, no.

I am anxious about some other things that are happening before we leave, which I am trying to snap out of that feeling!
But I don't feel guilty for going on vacation.
Everyone deserves vacation, just not everyone is lucky enough to go on one. Be thankful you are in a position to go and no one knows what the future holds for them.

Enjoy your life! You only get one. :)

I'm not going any time soon but I'm not having trouble being excited about things. (I have a 1 in 525 chance of winning a vacation to one of three places on October 14th)
I mean sure I feel bad for the people of the shooting if that's what you're talking about but it is having no effect on my day to day life.
I'm more concerned about the fact that my mom may have cancer and we are still in limbo because they can't figure it out and she isn't having another test until Monday.

I'm more concerned about the fact that my mom may have cancer and we are still in limbo because they can't figure it out and she isn't having another test until Monday.
Sorry, I know the waiting for tests and results can be brutal, sometimes bordering on inhumane (like a voice message at 4:59 on Friday to call the office, and they stop answering phones at 5:00 until Monday....). Hope you guys get good news.

Yes, I know what you mean. News like this puts everything into perspective. As much as we are looking forward to our trip in a few weeks, it is hard to feel excited about something like a Disney trip when such sadness is all around us. Try to put your focus on your family right now. The most important thing we can do is love the people in our lives to the best of our ability and hope that it grows out like ripples on a pond. If spending a lovely trip at Disney helps in that quest, then be excited about that. Love eachother and enjoy your time together. It's as important now as ever ;-)

My next trip is not until next summer, but we were in WDW last year at the time of both the Pulse shooting and the gator killing the little boy. We were standing in front of Bay Lake Tower, our resort, blissfully watching Wishes as search helicopters flew overhead and we had no idea why. We worried about sadness interfering with our trip and then felt guilt over worrying about ourselves when people were truly suffering around us. However, as strange as it may sound, I think it would have been harder to deal with had we not been there. Being at WDW brings out the best in us and helps us to see the best in others. The reactions of the CMs and the other guests we encountered helped us to feel connected to people rather than to linger in feelings of isolation and hopelessness. I don't feel like I'm explaining myself very well, but my point is to say I get how you're feeling and at the same time encourage you to push through it and throw yourself into your trip. A few days at WDW can be great therapy.

Like others have said, you should be excited and looking forward to your vacation. Not only does everyone deserve a vacation, Disney is a way to get away from it all and forget about your troubles in the outside world. To me, Disney is like my sanctuary. When I go down there, I feel like the things worrying me or bothering me get put on hold for a few days because I'm almost physically isolated from it. To me, this is one of those pieces of Disney magic that people don't understand unless they have been there themselves.

You have five (or maybe now four) days before you go on your trip. Get excited for it! You deserve it! :D

News like these shootings makes me want to go on vacation more often and appreciate life's pleasures- it makes me want to get out there and live life bc you never know what can happen. I'm with @Farro enjoy your life, you only get one!!

I completely understand and sympathize with how you're feeling, but try not to let the consistent heinous tragedies bring you down, and change how you go about your day-to-day life. That's what the perpetrators always want. Everyone to live in fear. You can mourn. You can be sad. You can be terrified. You can feel all of these things, but you can also take action and live your best life.

Last edited:
Please help me here. I’m 5 days away from our big surprise trip and with all the horrible suffering in the news of late I have gone totally flat about the trip. I’m wracked with guilt as try to work on details. I have so much to do and I’m paralyzed and can’t do a thing. Are any of you also struggling with this? If so, how are you getting past it?

While I have no way of understanding what goes on in the minds of these nuts that perform these horrendous acts, I suspect they want to terrorize and paralyze us. As for mother nature, we have no control over her destruction.

Feeling guilty about taking a well deserved vacation serves no purpose and in no way can help the victims of recent incidents. I understand, I had to pull myself together 3 days after we experienced Hurricane Irma, and leave for a long planned vacation, knowing that there were people in my own city that were still suffering. Cancelling my vacation would only cause ourselves a big financial loss and would do nothing to help those suffering.

Maybe consider donating to the causes when given the opportunity. Go and enjoy your vacation.

Last edited:
I think if anything tragedies such as the events in Las Vegas should make you hold these trip to be extra special. Spending time with your loved ones (no matter where you are) is extremely important because we are only promised this very moment in time. No one knows what tomorrow or even the next hour will bring. Do not at all feel guilty for spending time with your loved ones and enjoying yourself that is what life is truly about. If you want to help go donate blood, donate money to a fund - doing a little part can help you feel less vulnerable and more empowered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter